LaRoca Resturant Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Anyone spell serial arsonist? Vacant unused buildings rarely burn on their own. Normally the utilities are off. I do not have faith in Sosua Fire Dept. arson investigation team. We will probably never know the cause of the fire. Letting buildings like this fall into disrepair and disuse is a disgrace. Shame on the mayor and city leaders. Too much emphasis on "culture" while ignoring the day to day business of running the city. A needless, predictable, shameful loss to the city. The city should act in a responsible fashion anf restore the building.

Letting buildings of this sort fall into disrepair and disuse is asking for trouble.

The cause of the fire can be determined, either intentional, electrical, or accidental but it can be difficult to determine who the culprit(s) is/are.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The city has a responsibility to make sure buildings of historic import do not fall into disrepair and disuse. If the fire was an act of God it let's them off the hook for the destruction. Very convenient. On the other hand buildings that are allowed to deteriorate often burn. We have had quite a few fires lately, eh. Would you not agree the city failed in its responsibility to protect and preserve the towns heritage?

Space Ghost

Mar 21, 2014
... we had lots of thunder and direct lightening last night ...

There was a storm moving in at the time this started around 8PM. But all the lightning up to that point and beyond was cloud-to-cloud. No cloud-to-ground strikes recorded in the Sosua area until later. I'd be a little bit surprised to see that building take a strike anyway with the much taller cell tower a hundred feet behind it beside the Bomarito building.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The city has a responsibility to make sure buildings of historic import do not fall into disrepair and disuse. If the fire was an act of God it let's them off the hook for the destruction. Very convenient. On the other hand buildings that are allowed to deteriorate often burn. We have had quite a few fires lately, eh. Would you not agree the city failed in its responsibility to protect and preserve the towns heritage?

to make you feel any better: many old buildings are classified as patrimonio cultural. this means that if reconstructed they have to look exactly like original (on the outside). it may be the case with this one as well.

May 29, 2006
I can't think of any sane arsonist starting a fire before midnight.. Maybe kids fooling around or started on its own.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Unpredictable Bastards

I'd be a little bit surprised to see that building take a strike anyway with the much taller cell tower a hundred feet behind it beside the Bomarito building.

Do not underestimate lightnings' predilection for their targets.
I have seen rare hits where the height of something obviously did not lure the thunderbolt.
Unpredictable bastards, I'd say. :ermm:

donP

Space Ghost

Mar 21, 2014
Lots of experience with lightning and towers. It would be pretty unusual. But my lightning detectors didn't show any C/G strikes up to that point except well off to the W-SW until around 8:45. Maybe someone just thinking the coming storm would be perfect cover for a nefarious act - and figuring the firefighters being typical Dominicans wouldn't want to have to come out in the rain to work.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Anyone spell serial arsonist? Vacant unused buildings rarely burn on their own. Normally the utilities are off. I do not have faith in Sosua Fire Dept. arson investigation team. We will probably never know the cause of the fire. Letting buildings like this fall into disrepair and disuse is a disgrace. Shame on the mayor and city leaders. Too much emphasis on "culture" while ignoring the day to day business of running the city. A needless, predictable, shameful loss to the city. The city should act in a responsible fashion anf restore the building.

Letting buildings of this sort fall into disrepair and disuse is asking for trouble.
There is no serial arsonist. The fire at the restaurant on Pedro, not J.R., was started because the two Italian owners had a very serious falling out. Very ugly story, if I remember correctly the J.R. fire was electrical, and not started by the guy saying he was going to burn it down. I might be wrong, if so please correct me. This fire we don't know yet.
I would count on Jewish lighting with the way insurance companies work here.
It's sad to see that building burn. I enjoyed breakfast there.
Also didn't that building go up for auction a while back?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Does anyone ever really know the cause of a fire in the DR? Its all a guess unless there is a large hole with electrical burn marks and melted tin in the roof of La Roca. Ate there a lot and liked the atmosphere including the pictures of old Sosua. The breakfasts and Fri. bbq were excellent. The whole thing is a shame.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I do miss those Friday night BBQ's with some of the best ribs around.

Bob K

Space Ghost

Mar 21, 2014
Notice, I didn't say tall building, I said tall tower. The tower is grounded, or should be, in a way that a building, like La Roca is not. The electric field is strongest on grounded objects whose tops are closest to the base of the thundercloud. The positive leaders from a well grounded tall tower nearby should in most cases connect the discharge from there. But as far as I can tell there weren't any, anyway, so for me this event, this fire, is suspicious. Seems a bit too convenient, almost as if someone wanted this lightning debate.

Space Ghost

Mar 21, 2014
If I remember correctly the J.R. fire was electrical, and not started by the guy saying he was going to burn it down. I might be wrong, if so please correct me.
Insurance payments where arson is involved are to say the least messy here. My understanding is that there is little doubt the J.R. fire was arson. The guy was detained and arrested. Then put on a plane without charge so the fire could be written off as an electrical issue to avoid problems with the insurance. That sucks, the jerk should have gotten everything coming to him, but sometimes it's better to just move on here.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Lightning as a cause will do nicely for the city. Ah, a lamentable loss. Excellent job Lins you pulled that one right out. With the Dominican Republic in cases where there is money, politics and influence things get blurred quickly and only a few ever really know the truth. Not much is what it appears to. Looking forward to the Sosua News version. For all you conspiracy theorists here is one we can watch being brewed. Has living here made me a bit cynical,NAW, just suspicious of everything and everyone.

Aug 21, 2007
I just spoke to another business owner across the street. This individual told me that 25 Haitians (children included) were living on the second floor of La Roca. They lived there and cooked on the floor. It has been a concern to neighboring businesses for some time. I was told that they commented to one another frequently that it was a matter of time before something like this happened.

Of course, I can not say with certainty that this was the cause of the fire, but it surely paints another way to view the incident.

Lindsey

Status
Not open for further replies.