So... Four more years of PLD???

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Seems to look that the PLD has the grip on the next presidential elections, not so much for the lower posts.

Given how a majority controlled both houses of congress, then it's safe to say that it will be more like a never-ending fight between the executive and the legislative powers that be.

Seeing how broadly the political opposition has changed, from a single strong challenger into a three party all-for-all. Can we expect the next elections past 2016 to be something more like an independent run for office a more likely scenario? I truly think an independent will have the momentum to win it come that cycle.

Can people expect any real changes from the present administration to make it worth voting for a new round of the PLD into office? I doubt that very much, given how lax the answer to deal with corruption in their rank and file has been moot.

So, we are going to see a steady GDP growth for the repeat administration. The 4% for education. Continued investments into roads and upgrades to the health facilities.

Same plan, same program. I doubt we'll see a major shift in terms of dealing with corruption. It's after all the same actors at the sequel.

Addressing corruption would create so much change for the DR. So much, but the political costs are still far out for them to contemplate. Maybe in the last two years of this repeat administration, he will dare break away from the party lines and do something about it. But again, it's the same player behind the curtains, so the reach will be limited to puppets.

Medina had a good chance to change the DR big time. He opted to be nice to both the people and the party. You can't do that! That's why I think that maybe he will dare to this time around~

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
A healthy trend?

Last summer >70%
20th January 2016 57%
1st February 2016 51.8%
2nd February 2016 50.5%
2nd February 2016 48.5%

& 3 months to go

You must indeed know more than mere onlookers.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
aaaand, pichi's post was brought to you by the current administration... :devious::devious::devious:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A healthy trend?

Last summer >70%
20th January 2016 57%
1st February 2016 51.8%
2nd February 2016 50.5%
2nd February 2016 48.5%

& 3 months to go

You must indeed know more than mere onlookers.

trending does not work too well when you have an electorate which has no interest in political and social philosophy. the PLD can look as if it is sinking really fast, but it has the resources to buy chickens and Brugal, so it is hard to downplay the lead that the PLD already has. 500 pesos gets then a vote, and they have the money.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The opposition is fragmented...

And so is the main party by your own words in the OP.

Anyhow I thought 50% was the target so should it goes to a second ballot the opposition vote could unite so I guess a lot of chickens and Brugal will come into play based on post #4 come mid May.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
And so is the main party by your own words in the OP.

Anyhow I thought 50% was the target so should it goes to a second ballot the opposition vote could unite so I guess a lot of chickens and Brugal will come into play based on post #4 come mid May.

Yes it's but hasn't broken apart as of yet, because their greed moves them to support Medina even when they hate the guy. Medina is their path to another term (so they think).

Medina will be the victor. There's almost no way for the others to break that well stringed plan.

They divided the opposition first and then enticed a good number of them to their side. Divide and conquer.
The ripples from that single act are now big waves in the ballots.

Hard to stop it at this point.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Never been a PLD guy or any for that matter.

zkidd1.gif

Now if you tell me Trujillo was cloned and brought back 100%! He would get my vote!

no... something even closer to your heart...

352oen9.jpg

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
If the PLD loses the grip on both Senate and deputy chamber, Medina will become a lame duck president.
With nothing to lose he would most likely embark in a fight against corruption.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
zkidd1.gif

no... something even closer to your heart...

352oen9.jpg

No, really DV8...

I simply vote for the one candidate that will cause the lesser damage to the DR out of the pack. From the ones with a strong chance to win that is, since I don't throw away my vote just to say I did the right thing on the cleanest candidate.

Maybe on the next cycle we'll see a stronger independent we can all vote for and change for good.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Power corrupts,
We need a one term-only, no re-election 6 year cycle of administrations in the DR.

Four years is too short a time and too much spent on elections for such a small country.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
En esta ocasi?n, el 71.5% de la poblaci?n dijo que el gobierno no ha reducido el alto costo de la vida mientras que el 18.7% dijo que s?. El 8.8% dijo que es igual al gobierno anterior y el 1% no opino. En tanto que sobre los planes para combatir la delincuencia el 78.8% dijo que el gobierno de Danilo Medina no ha logrado reducirla mientras el 19.2% coincidi? que si y el 1.4% no sabe.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...a-vuelta-en-las-proximas-elecciones-YA2615045

With such damning negatives found in the CIES poll today in regard to cost of living and delinquency surely nothing is for sure for the incumbent and he needs to do something about these festering problems affecting all voters.....and non voters

There is no 'feel good factor' in those numbers.......exactly the opposite.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i look forward to the election of small fries. it will be messy. many people leaving PLD for greener pastures with a different party. will PLD let it slide or will they show the traitors how it's done?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
i look forward to the election of small fries. it will be messy. many people leaving PLD for greener pastures with a different party. will PLD let it slide or will they show the traitors how it's done?

I strongly believe we are seeing the last of the PLD as well. It will fragment just like the PRD did.

The Reformistas are like a shoe-in. People of certain ages think that they can make a difference.

I think that the cycle after this one, will provide us with whole new options for a change.

I really want elections without the usual suspects!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe in few generations time? people still worship bosch and his two unruly political kids. new times call for new idols, who'd take his place?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
maybe in few generations time? people still worship bosch and his two unruly political kids. new times call for new idols, who'd take his place?

Leonel is part of the reason the PLD will fragment. Medina is only the catalytic that made it happen sooner than later.

The idols are already being made under our noses! They took the long road and made no compromises with their ideals in order to gain a foothold into the establishment.

The problem for them is not the leaders, but the ones that underpin a successful administration. Clean apples are getting harder to find. The people they support under them, must also walk the walk.

The PLD didn't get there overnight, but it did so by compromising on the principles of their founding members.

This is the age of twitter and social media. The newer generations are going social all the time.

It's a matter of the right push from the right person and the right time for all to click in one single motion.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i say it will take longer than the next 4 years. PLD, PRD and PRSC have been around for decades, what makes you think that in 4 short years the whole political scene will shift and revolt?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
If the PLD loses the grip on both Senate and deputy chamber, Medina will become a lame duck president.
With nothing to lose he would most likely embark in a fight against corruption.

It's taken developed countries like the USA, Canada, Britain, etc. hundreds of year to develop and refine the political checks and balances to control corruption, and sometimes using peaceful and violent means to achieve this. The war between the French and English, the US civil war, etc. come to mind.

The Dominician Republic is a young democracy by comparison. The checks and balances will come, hopefully by peaceful means. It may be another ten to twenty years before actual progress on cleaning up corruption is made to the point where the average DR citizen will feel the positive impact of those education.

Better to hope than to live in despair!

Apologies for any typos. I should wear my glasses but I don't like them.