So... Four more years of PLD???

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If the PLD loses the grip on both Senate and deputy chamber, Medina will become a lame duck president.
With nothing to lose he would most likely embark in a fight against corruption.

he would last a week if he tried to clean the place up. getting rid of corruption would be like getting rid of salami and platanos. it is part of the culture.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I just hope we don't see the empty promises for votes before the election such as the construction of a NEW HOSPITAL AT LA UNION near Sosua (that would have created many 100's of jobs) that the PLD promised if they won at the last election.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
No, really DV8...

I simply vote for the one candidate that will cause the lesser damage to the DR out of the pack. From the ones with a strong chance to win that is, since I don't throw away my vote just to say I did the right thing on the cleanest candidate.

Maybe on the next cycle we'll see a stronger independent we can all vote for and change for good.

There is no such a thing as an independent on this country, it is impossible to be independent, you need a PARTY behind you to get registered as a candidate

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Power corrupts,
We need a one term-only, no re-election 6 year cycle of administrations in the DR.

Four years is too short a time and too much spent on elections for such a small country.

four years is a LOOOOOONG TIME for a bad government, what we need is Venezuelan style revocatory referendum for ALL elected officials, that is an escape clause that will protect against electing the kinds of people that should not be on the driving seat.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Leonel is part of the reason the PLD will fragment. Medina is only the catalytic that made it happen sooner than later.

The idols are already being made under our noses! They took the long road and made no compromises with their ideals in order to gain a foothold into the establishment.

The problem for them is not the leaders, but the ones that underpin a successful administration. Clean apples are getting harder to find. The people they support under them, must also walk the walk.

The PLD didn't get there overnight, but it did so by compromising on the principles of their founding members.

This is the age of twitter and social media. The newer generations are going social all the time.

It's a matter of the right push from the right person and the right time for all to click in one single motion.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
partido.png

Frank, we've been all over DR since December and haven't seen one poster or billboard for him. Doesn't seem to be trying very hard for votes, what's up???

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
trending does not work too well when you have an electorate which has no interest in political and social philosophy. the PLD can look as if it is sinking really fast, but it has the resources to buy chickens and Brugal, so it is hard to downplay the lead that the PLD already has. 500 pesos gets then a vote, and they have the money.

And telephones... These are the prizes I have known people to shake saying "This came from Francis Vargas" For example.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Frank, we've been all over DR since December and haven't seen one poster or billboard for him. Doesn't seem to be trying very hard for votes, what's up???

Maybe elected by graffiti. There is a lot of that in his name in our part of the country.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
If the PLD loses the grip on both Senate and deputy chamber, Medina will become a lame duck president.
With nothing to lose he would most likely embark in a fight against corruption.

If Medina became a lame duck, would he have the guts to really fight corruption? I know nothing about the politics here except to say that everyone in office expects something for their position and everyone enjoys the ability to get around things when necessary. Taking this long standing status quo away...something that Dominicans enjoy...hmmm.

The world powers that are trying to change the DR find idealistic folks willing to help smooth out the buttons the elite think tankers are pushing from thousands of miles away from these shores. The elite decisions have not been working out so great in other countries. The future is an open canvas, but not everything is possible.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
PRD and PLD reunited after 43 years

The ruling PLD was born when politicians in the PRD had differences of opinion. 43 years ago, on 18 November 1973, PRD founder Juan Bosch resigned and created the PLD. On Sunday, 21 February 2016, at the Palacio de los Deportes, the president of the PRD proclaimed President Danilo Medina of the PLD as its presidential candidate.

The announcement comes at a time when polls have shown that the PRD's popularity has plummeted to its lowest point in recent years.

The alliance came about after the PRD legislators gave President Danilo Medina the votes needed in order to change the 2010 Constitution to enable him to run for re-election in 2016.

The PRD+PLD alliance is part of the Bloque Progresista made up of the authorized political parties and political movements that support President Danilo Medina's re-election.

To accommodate the PRD proclamation, the start of the National District superior basketball tournament, which was set to start on 18 February, had to be postponed until 28 February 2016.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
And soon the former PR...

Like I said, we're looking into interesting times of the DR's political evolution.

What we need to see is who's going to be representing the conservatives on the next election. Liberals and lefties just married.

Could this be the resurgence of the former Partido Dominicano (a.k.a. PRSC).

The possibility is there, but only if the old guard would step aside and support the new blood.

What do you think>>>>>>???

Sep 4, 2012
What evolution?

This is the same painting mind you with different brush strokes taking place since the 60s. Not the frist or the last for sure alliance among parties in the DR and you so call "political evolution."

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
i look forward to the election of small fries. it will be messy. many people leaving PLD for greener pastures with a different party. will PLD let it slide or will they show the traitors how it's done?

Presidente del PLD en Montecristi pasa a ser candidato a Diputado PRSC

prsc-caba.jpg

Montecristi.- President of Dominican Liberation Party (PLD ) in Montecristi , Santiago Caba, said Friday at a press conference he will be the candidate for deputy that was missing from the ballot of the Social Christian Reformist Party (PRSC ).

Dr. Caba , who is also member of the Central Committee of PLD and representative of former President Leonel Fernandez's group in Montecristi , will run for deputy alongside the aspiring senator Hector Rodriguez Pimentel and German deputy candidate Bernardo , president of Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM ) , an ally of the PRSC , in the province of the Northwest .

http://www.prsc.com.do/st/index.php...tecristi-pasa-a-ser-candidato-a-diputado-prsc

--------------------------------------------------

Already taking place...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
What evolution?

This is the same painting mind you with different brush strokes taking place since the 60s. Not the frist or the last for sure alliance among parties in the DR and you so call "political evolution."

It's hard for somebody with no cultural knowledge of the DR to see with naked eyes...

It's happening faster than I did think possible.

Party alliances are truly old, big parties just crumbling from the inside out is a historical hiatus for the DR.

Do you understand? The Partido Dominicano only morphed into the PR and the PRD was the alliance of many smaller parties to oppose it. Since then, the PRD won over many, many members from those smaller parties.

The PLD was a faction of the PRD going with their leader. The same people, different paths.

The PR morphed into the PRSC after it also took in many other smaller parties.

What you will see is the PRSC becoming a stronger party from now on. Much bigger and well funded. Since the conservatives now see that there's no difference between the PLD and the PRD at all.

One good leader is all it takes for the PRSC to take the administration over in the next electoral cycle after this.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Already taking place...

yeah, nothing new. traitors have been jumping ships left, right and centre. what i want to know is how it will play out during election time. will being a judas pay off? or not so much? glory days, i tell ya. glory days.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And soon the former PR...

Like I said, we're looking into interesting times of the DR's political evolution.

What we need to see is who's going to be representing the conservatives on the next election. Liberals and lefties just married.

Could this be the resurgence of the former Partido Dominicano (a.k.a. PRSC).

The possibility is there, but only if the old guard would step aside and support the new blood.

What do you think>>>>>>???

you analyze this as if it is some convoluted political maneouvering and machination, which will give birth to something substantial and meaningful in the future.

here is what it is. a bunch of guys realize that the incumbents are too hard to beat, so they figure that if you can?t beat them, just join them. at least you get to stroll up to the trough.