So... Four more years of PLD???

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Red, white, purple narco-state - all the same...

What is the alternative? Hubierez? :D Then we would have the padres de familia narco-state...

To me they are all the same. Botellas, that is what it is all about. The people? LOL. Oh, right. 500 DOP and a pica pollo to get their vote and then four years nada until the next elections.
:bunny:

Not only the people here need mano duro, the politicians even more...

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Red, white, purple narco-state - all the same...

What is the alternative? Hubierez? :D Then we would have the padres de familia narco-state...

To me they are all the same. Botellas, that is what it is all about. The people? LOL. Oh, right. 500 DOP and a pica pollo to get their vote and then four years nada until the next elections.
:bunny:

Not only the people here need mano duro, the politicians even more...

Long live king Trujillo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
500 DOP and a pica pollo to get their vote and then four years nada until the next elections..

In my neighborhood all they (PLD in pickup truck plastered with Danilo?s face) were giving people
for their votes were those baby wash bins and powdered milk.

Feb 7, 2007
The electorate in the DR still has a long way to go to reach at least knee-height level of electorates in countries like Argentina or Colombia, and even much further journey to reach the same knee-height of those of Chile and Brazil. Maybe in 50 years the elections in DR will more resemble the kind of those as in Argentina of this year.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Maybe the young guy "Collado" just elected mayor of SD, beating the "PLD Hack" "Roberto, will become a great mayor, and later presidencial candidate.

We can "HOPE" can't we??????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 7, 2007
Maybe the young guy "Collado" just elected mayor of SD, beating the "PLD Hack" "Roberto, will become a great mayor, and later presidencial candidate.

We can "HOPE" can't we??????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Well, if it was like in Colombia, that being Mayor of Bogota is a necessary step on a journey to the presidential palace, than yes there could be a lot of hope ...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
and then leonel again? :cheeky: he's only gonna be 83 in 2036 :) :) :)

Actually sounds plausible. Balaguer (Whom Leonel emulates to a tee minus the murdering of political opponents) was like 90 and blind when people "elected" him again.

BTW did anyone notice that the most popular politician (most voted) was Felix (el gato) Bautista. What does that tell you about the Dominican political process? :tired:

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
BTW did anyone notice that the most popular politician (most voted) was Felix (el gato) Bautista. What does that tell you about the Dominican political process? :tired:

It tells that when you are running with a sitting president in his home area (DM is from San Juan, you knew that, right?) the "coattail" of the president can help you a lot. In most places on earth, ticket splitting is rare. If the guy at the top of the ticket is very popular in a given area it helps the entire ticket.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
And it doesn't help that a sitting president happens to be from the same province as his, and is running quite well, per official results.
Maybe the poster has heard of the "coattail effect".

It tells that when you are running with a sitting president in his home area (DM is from San Juan, you knew that, right?) the "coattail" of the president can help you a lot. In most places on earth, ticket splitting is rare. If the guy at the top of the ticket is very popular in a given area it helps the entire ticket.

I want to believe and "TRUST" you Virgo, just tell me which one of your 2 quotes is true.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I want to believe and "TRUST" you Virgo, just tell me which one of your 2 quotes is true.

Easy. It doesn't help <those who want to throw Bautista out of office> that he is running WITH an apparently fairly popular president in his own home area.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
So, in order to understand your posts, we must insert the hidden words.
Another Dominican trick, so never to be wrong?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
For 4 more years there is only a small inner circle of people running the country. They will undoubtedly retain their visa to the US and enjoy trips to Florida.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Observations

Were there any international observers of this election, or were they all blocked for obvious reasons?