DR should send at least a batallion to Iraq!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
DR should send at least a battalion to Iraq!!!

My idea:

Given the current situation with Haiti and the proven ill-equipped actual Armed Forces in the DR, I think we should give an offer to the UN to send Dominican troops to Iraq under a UN mandate and fully armed and equipped with the latest war technology so they can be a force to reckon with shall the need arise there, then we will rotate the troops having the ones already deployed there come home to the DR with all their armaments and equipment just as the US and other countries armed forces do as a rule, they become a unit with their equipment be it trucks, jeeps, tanks you name it. As soon as the troops are ready to be rotated the new troops will be rearmed by the UN so they can continue their tours of duty there at the services of the UN and under it's flag, updating the DR's Armed Forces to a more real one than the Force the only represent on paper.

The UN security council will quickly vote yes on this because they all fear sending troops to Iraq under any circumstances because of the backslash of terrorism it could bring to them, we are more isolated than they are because as you may well know the security services left behind by the Trujillo regime are very good at finding out anybody quick, and since the DR has very little issues when it comes to how you beat the S**T out of somebody for info, they could find out anything developing on Dominican soil.

I know for a fact that talks are underway by Dominican reps in the UN by the request of the UN security council members to have some amount of Dominican troops deployed elsewhere under the command of the UN international peace keeping forces.

What do you think?

Last edited:

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
From what I read in the DR1 news...

the DR could send a battalion of generals! WTF is up with that? But that's for another discussion.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
D.R. is the last country that should be sending troops over there, this beautiful internationally peaceful country, just does not need that type of heat...one tradegy or bombing here and that can send the country back for many years, I mean they still have not recovered from the Puerto plata earthquakes, because the damage was so costly, the Dominican military have not been battle tested yet on there own, to tackle these seasoned all year round terrorist that strap bombs around themselves, would be a big problem for Quisqueya to handle, even then with the troops they have over there now, they have opened up a can of worm's, Dominican's now must be on high alert as well, and by the way custom agent's in the island are easily bribed with money, this is very dangerous. Flying to and from D.R. these days make's me extremely nervous...

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
PICHARDO said:
My idea:

Given the current situation with Haiti and the proven ill-equipped actual Armed Forces in the DR, I think we should give an offer to the UN to send Dominican troops to Iraq under a UN mandate and fully armed and equipped with the latest war technology so they can be a force to reckon with shall the need arise there, then we will rotate the troops having the ones already deployed there come home to the DR with all their armaments and equipment just as the US and other countries armed forces do as a rule, they become a unit with their equipment be it trucks, jeeps, tanks you name it. As soon as the troops are ready to be rotated the new troops will be rearmed by the UN so they can continue their tours of duty there at the services of the UN and under it's flag, updating the DR's Armed Forces to a more real one than the Force the only represent on paper.

The UN security council will quickly vote yes on this because they all fear sending troops to Iraq under any circumstances because of the backslash of terrorism it could bring to them, we are more isolated than they are because as you may well know the security services left behind by the Trujillo regime are very good at finding out anybody quick, and since the DR has very little issues when it comes to how you beat the S**T out of somebody for info, they could find out anything developing on Dominican soil.

I know for a fact that talks are underway by Dominican reps in the UN by the request of the UN security council members to have some amount of Dominican troops deployed elsewhere under the command of the UN international peace keeping forces.

What do you think?
Pichardo.... that type of operation will cost this poor country billion's of dollars, and surely with the problem's in the public hospital's, school's, and lack of resoures for fuel, propane and gas, this goverment could not produce such a budget, if anything since D.R. is already in the mix, they should be exercising some home-land security of there own. maybe they can accomplish an operation with a reserve or draft like this.but that's about it!!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I don't think a batallion (or even a division) would help!

Seriously, I am of the opinion that the only way the fight against terrorism will be effective is through the method of "infiltrate, identify and destroy" at the root of the system. Even then, some of them would escape, given their modus operindi. It would be a great effort in and of itself to recruit the necessary muslim participants who would be luck enough to convince the opposition of their sincerity to the degree of uprooting the leadership for identification.

I don't have the answer, just wish I did. I'm afraid this war against terrorism will end up being Islam against Christianity and other "infidels". Let's pray it doesn't end up that way. If it does, we'll ALL be the losers.

Texas Bill

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
daddy1 said:
Pichardo.... that type of operation will cost this poor country billion's of dollars, and surely with the problem's in the public hospital's, school's, and lack of resoures for fuel, propane and gas, this goverment could not produce such a budget, if anything since D.R. is already in the mix, they should be exercising some home-land security of there own. maybe they can accomplish an operation with a reserve or draft like this.but that's about it!!

Hence the idea that the UN rich members will have to stock up the Dominican forces and since all forces deployed by the UN security council are paid with UN funds(those of non bindding members) I don't see the extra expense other than human life casualties the Dominican forces may incurr in Iraq as consequence of insurgents attacks...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Texas Bill said:
I don't think a batallion (or even a division) would help!

Seriously, I am of the opinion that the only way the fight against terrorism will be effective is through the method of "infiltrate, identify and destroy" at the root of the system. Even then, some of them would escape, given their modus operindi. It would be a great effort in and of itself to recruit the necessary muslim participants who would be luck enough to convince the opposition of their sincerity to the degree of uprooting the leadership for identification.

I don't have the answer, just wish I did. I'm afraid this war against terrorism will end up being Islam against Christianity and other "infidels". Let's pray it doesn't end up that way. If it does, we'll ALL be the losers.

Texas Bill

This war is against terrorists and their supporters, Islam doesn't support or teach any of that just as christianity didn't teach to cut the heads of the ones that didn't accept God as their savior back in the early days.

Our common enemy is the terrorist that can break havoc in any populated area or city with just using themselves as human bombs to evoke fear of anything in our civilized world. If the Dominican Armed Forces can't in fact operate under the harshest and inhospitable conditions as Iraq's proves to be today then our future protection from terror will be to cover our ears and duck under the table to later pick up the pieces to bury and cry over.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
PICHARDO said:
This war is against terrorists and their supporters, Islam doesn't support or teach any of that just as christianity didn't teach to cut the heads of the ones that didn't accept God as their savior back in the early days.

Our common enemy is the terrorist that can break havoc in any populated area or city with just using themselves as human bombs to evoke fear of anything in our civilized world. If the Dominican Armed Forces can't in fact operate under the harshest and inhospitable conditions as Iraq's proves to be today then our future protection from terror will be to cover our ears and duck under the table to later pick up the pieces to bury and cry over.

Pichardo-- I am fully aware that Islam doesn't teach or support atrocities against other's "Of the Book", but istory teaches us that Mohammid didn't lead the conquest of the current Arab world himself. That was done by Islamic fanatics with fanitical followers who believed in the Jihad edict of dieing in such was a direct entry into Paradise. The existing terrorists adherents are conducting a Jihad against the "infidels" of the world and they are us!
Have you ever tried to convince a fanatic of anything by the use of logic?? An impossibility! The Koran preaches coexistence of all "Brothers of the Book" and that includes the Israelies! Look at the history of that area and you will see unbridled bigotry and intolerance of the other party back into antiquity. The US and European support of Israel as a country has fostered intense dislike and distrust in the hearts of all Arabic constituencies. From that has been born the terrorist activities as a policy arm of the Arabic world, it seem to me.
The causitive factors of terrorism lie in the history of the area. Ireland and the IRA notwithstanding.
The DR has inserted itself into this mileau by sending troops into Iraq, for whatever reason you may suppose, and has placed itself in the front along with the US, Great Britain, Italy, Spain, and others who have troops in Iraq; By virtue of that move, the DR has identified itself a potential terrorist target, regardless of what you and others may say to the contrary. I just hope that your(I'm referring to all here)supposition of being a minor and unimportant target is true and that we don't suffer as a result of the complacency fostered by distance.

Texas Bill

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Texas Bill said:
Pichardo-- I am fully aware that Islam doesn't teach or support atrocities against other's "Of the Book", but istory teaches us that Mohammid didn't lead the conquest of the current Arab world himself. That was done by Islamic fanatics with fanitical followers who believed in the Jihad edict of dieing in such was a direct entry into Paradise. The existing terrorists adherents are conducting a Jihad against the "infidels" of the world and they are us!
Have you ever tried to convince a fanatic of anything by the use of logic?? An impossibility! The Koran preaches coexistence of all "Brothers of the Book" and that includes the Israelies! Look at the history of that area and you will see unbridled bigotry and intolerance of the other party back into antiquity. The US and European support of Israel as a country has fostered intense dislike and distrust in the hearts of all Arabic constituencies. From that has been born the terrorist activities as a policy arm of the Arabic world, it seem to me.
The causitive factors of terrorism lie in the history of the area. Ireland and the IRA notwithstanding.
The DR has inserted itself into this mileau by sending troops into Iraq, for whatever reason you may suppose, and has placed itself in the front along with the US, Great Britain, Italy, Spain, and others who have troops in Iraq; By virtue of that move, the DR has identified itself a potential terrorist target, regardless of what you and others may say to the contrary. I just hope that your(I'm referring to all here)supposition of being a minor and unimportant target is true and that we don't suffer as a result of the complacency fostered by distance.

Texas Bill

If something it's very clear to all of us that actually discern the difference between fanaticism and terrorism, it's the fact that acceptance of any fear to act upon either of them will bring about dark consequences to all of us be it the US or an islet in the middle of the Atlantic with no name. Terrorism is in fact the child of fanaticism and the consequence of not paying the attention to it in it's early stages like the propaganda machines and monetary supporters which fund these acts for the major part, if there's something to be done it's to be done now by all corresponding responsible nation to surgically remove this cancer in the early development before we have to put up with it in the shape of a multitude of mini-terror cells spread all over the world under the cover of "Let's not get involved in something that it's not our problem."

Religion has nothing to do with it, it just happens to be the best way these radical antisocial elements have found to be the most efficient to recruit and hide their operations, as a common denominator we can point to many old home grown terrorists that under the veil of social and political coats had the chance to develop a wide network of operations all over the world, some with a quasi-legitimate base to it others not so clear on their aims, in example the FARC in Colombia, IRA in Ireland, ETA in Spain, Tupac Amaru in Peru and many others too long a list to post here, the root of all these cells are in fact related to deep social and political skewed views by groups hell bent on having their way become the way of the land, when other countries chose to give their noncooperation to the nations under siege by these early terrorist networks they became in fact traits of a new and more deadly offspring of these operations: Al Quaeda.

I can't possibly support the war in Iraq as a war against terror or WMD, but I can support the dismantling of an institution whose solely aim was to terrorize their neighbors and foment hate against any group of this civilized world. Religion is not the enemy but those who infiltrate the need for the human race to enjoy a tie with their essence of being thru it are, we have to target those who vent the flames of unrest and upheaval to their own agendas.

We didn't come to this war uninvited but 9/11 was more than an invitation to the USA it's was a show of force to the world of things to come and the world blinked instead of rallying to crush the snake by the head(monetarily) rather we're still discussing why get involved and risk getting to be the next target. We became the targets the second we decided to be a society where rules are the law and not somebody's remote twisted idea of their understanding a religious system should be, if there's something to be learn it's that you can't make a fanatic understand the wrong of his ways but sure as hell you can make him the target of his own choices to this end.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Going back to the root of this thread:

I think we'll better off by having our Ill-equip Armed Forces unproven on an urban battlefield, unproven on anti-terror operations as the case calls for in Iraq, unproven as a logistical fighting force with full coordination of any kind get that much need help in the lacks departments.

We need the Dominican Armed Forces to respond to a very real threat that lurks in the not so far future to our tourism industry and what better baptism than by fire, one at the source of it close to the eggs of their reasoned development cribs, if we can't become adapted real quick to a changing world we risk having to isolate our nation from very single human being which isn't a Dominican to avoid the infiltration and possible target of their operations.

We lack the funds to modernize the Armed Forces but we do posses a very brave and tangible young Armed Forces core, let us participate and gain both the equipment needed and the knowledge to be able to better prepare our intelligence community to this new threat coming to our soil.

Dominican shed their blood on 9/11 just as many other nation's citizens did, let's not become afraid of what may happen but be ready and prepare for what's sure to come sooner rather than later to our shores.

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
DR not a target

The DR has been left alone because it is not a target to the Terrorist. How many Terror organizations have ever heard of the DR? If the DR were to become a big player in the war on terror then they will become a big target. Imagine the oppression that could be let loose in the DR if whatever party in power had the anti terror justification.
John

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Pichardo & John;

I agree with both of you in your summations!
The point I was trying to make is that today the world is focused on the underlying historic conflict between the Arab world and the "Infidel" opposition. I didn't intend to leave the impression that Islam itself was the "enemy" but that the terrorist community of today has been principly from that source. The view that all non-Arabs are of Satan has been pronounced and clear from more than one source. Thus I have focused on that aspect. That we should recognize the threat is self evident and that in preparing ourselves for the ongoing conflict we must be ever diligent to the slighest inuendo for the exposure of a potential adversary, whether homegrown or foreign in nature.
The leadership of the Dominican Armed Forces should recognize and prepare for any confrontations and vigorusly oppose any complacency in that mission. I'm just not sure that that leadership, and consequently the government has the foresight and discipline to carry out such a mission.
I think we must remember that we're fighting fanatacism in it's purest form and not ever underestimate the following that such can gain amoung those that don't think beyond their nose and that march to a different drum.
I think that Kipling's words of "East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet" are a very appropriate synopsis in view of the recent history of the area although his East was that of China and India at the time.
I'm starting to meander off thread again so I'll cut it short.

There is no simple solution to the conflict of ideologies and/or philosophies.

Texas Bill

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Imho

I equate the current problem with the terrorist groups and the relationship with the Islam Population to be akin to the American Catholic Church and the pedifile Priest. As long as the Islamic people of the world fail to act against the criminals and thugs that claim to act in the name of thier religion then they become legitimate targets of prosocution ( IE bank accounts Visas and so forth). The Islamic world has a moral obligation to police its own population and they fail to take care of there own black sheep then the rest of the world must cull the herd for them.
John
P.S. I feel all peace loving countries have the obligation to fight the terrorist. I just feel the DR does not have the resources to contribute the combat troups that then would make them a target for the groups. I feel the DR is not ready to have to defend there own borders nor the infrastructure. So when they become targets they would need the help of big brother and then the US might just send in all those troups to the DR all the doom and gloom bunch are claiming.

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
John;

For once we're in agreement on the subject!

Good post and to the point!

While I am ambivelent about Israel's methodology in combating Hamas and like organizations, I must in all honesty give them my support. Cutting off the head of the snake and eliminating the heirarchy, leaving a void to be filled by less competent leaders may be the solution in the long run. Give them some of their own medicine often enough and maybe they'll eventually see the error of their ways.
The reason for my ambivilence is this: While I don't agree with assasination as a policy I must agree that it makes it's point. On the other hand, diplomacy hasn't been exhausted at this point(or maybe it has). Hamas continues to make terrorist incursions into Israeli territory and then complains bitterly when retribution is delivered, never admitting that that retribution is justified by their own actions. They continue to hold that their cause is just, but the sympathy originally garnered has long since been exhausted by the world. They don't seem to realize that fact. They are now viewed as a recalcitrant child needing punishment for their misdeeds and ignore that fact, also.
So, I conclude they are getting their just desserts.

Texas Bill

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Texas Bill said:
John;

For once we're in agreement on the subject!

Good post and to the point!

While I am ambivelent about Israel's methodology in combating Hamas and like organizations, I must in all honesty give them my support. Cutting off the head of the snake and eliminating the heirarchy, leaving a void to be filled by less competent leaders may be the solution in the long run. Give them some of their own medicine often enough and maybe they'll eventually see the error of their ways.
The reason for my ambivilence is this: While I don't agree with assasination as a policy I must agree that it makes it's point. On the other hand, diplomacy hasn't been exhausted at this point(or maybe it has). Hamas continues to make terrorist incursions into Israeli territory and then complains bitterly when retribution is delivered, never admitting that that retribution is justified by their own actions. They continue to hold that their cause is just, but the sympathy originally garnered has long since been exhausted by the world. They don't seem to realize that fact. They are now viewed as a recalcitrant child needing punishment for their misdeeds and ignore that fact, also.
So, I conclude they are getting their just desserts.

Texas Bill

I myself will tell you that the Israeli IDF targeting of heads of control in the Hamas and Jihad cells are just a prove of their ability to reach out and touch anyone in Gaza or the West Bank for that matter, this major profile hits have no tactical value at all in fact they are counter productive according to the rules of intelligence doctrine, you don't want your enemy's top honchos to operate under the radar because this presents an even greater challenge to agents working undercover or turncoats to be as effective as someone that can be easily targeted to be tracked on his whereabouts, meetings, routines etc. Every time you see one of this high profile hits you can be sure something had happened just hours of minutes before and are called political retaliations, they serve one purpose only "to quell the general public perception of a lost war."

I visited my mother's relatives in Israel back in 1984 and things were much worst back then, security was to avoid major crowds and don't try to use the road connecting several kibbutz that used the roads close to Palestinian enclaves, it was a wild turkey shoot. Today the battle lines are drawn and I don't mean theoretically, the building of the security wall and buffer fences along all of the Palestinian held area is the only solution to this big headache, many proposed this same solutions back in 1984 and earlier but it fell on deaf ears and today those same ears have become much clear with the help the suicide bombers swabs provided.

The Israely-Palestinian problem is not about religion, it's a conflict that comes from more than three thousand years ago: L-A-N-D pure and simple.
it all revolves about land and nothing else.

The Dominican Republic was in fact the target of a suicide bomber by witnesses accounts after 9/11 as several saw how the plane was engulfed in flames and came apart before even plunging into Belle Harbor, do you really think the US administration and the FFA would come clean about a plane being blown up just a short time after 9/11, who the hel* you think would had flown in a plane after that? it all comes down to panic control as if they lost the people's trust to protect them every major corporation would had move overseas in a sec, since many are funded or heavily invested by foreigners and all major if not all air carriers gone out of biz in a week just as many were bailed out by this administration. If you ask any, and I mean ANY aviation dynamics expert they will tell you to a unison that the reason given by the NTSB and FAA was "Impossible" to duplicate even in a conditioned lab let alone in the real air, had this theory hold any water we would be witnessing a plane coming apart midair every two months so often according to the requirements the NTSB and FAA findings provide as a most likely cause.

Terrorist target the softest targets not the most protected, therefore I don't know what makes you think we will never become a target because we are so minute and unknown as a country to the Arab world? Come to think about it we have troops deployed in full combat fatigues in Iraq and if you pay attention they only way to differentiate a Dominican from an American GI will be the patch with the Dominican Army flag on their sleeves, an insurgent would have to be mad close to make the speck of difference deter his attack against the occupation troops.

Let's grow up from the cocoon and know this: WE ARE IN IRAQ IN FULL SUPPORT OF AMERICAN TROOPS UNDER THEIR DIRECT SUPERVISION AND THIS IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE BY ALL OF THE COUNTRIES IN THE ARAB STATES INCLUDING THE ONES WITH HATRED AND TERROR CELLS IN THEN!!!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Just so you test the intelligence doctrine:

Wait for Hamas to announce the new leader by name!

Don't leave the ice out of the fridge before that happens, or you'll need to go out and buy an ice bag for your maragaritas. :smoke:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
PICHARDO said:
I myself will tell you that the Israeli IDF targeting of heads of control in the Hamas and Jihad cells are just a prove of their ability to reach out and touch anyone in Gaza or the West Bank for that matter, this major profile hits have no tactical value at all in fact they are counter productive according to the rules of intelligence doctrine, you don't want your enemy's top honchos to operate under the radar because this presents an even greater challenge to agents working undercover or turncoats to be as effective as someone that can be easily targeted to be tracked on his whereabouts, meetings, routines etc. Every time you see one of this high profile hits you can be sure something had happened just hours of minutes before and are called political retaliations, they serve one purpose only "to quell the general public perception of a lost war."

I visited my mother's relatives in Israel back in 1984 and things were much worst back then, security was to avoid major crowds and don't try to use the road connecting several kibbutz that used the roads close to Palestinian enclaves, it was a wild turkey shoot. Today the battle lines are drawn and I don't mean theoretically, the building of the security wall and buffer fences along all of the Palestinian held area is the only solution to this big headache, many proposed this same solutions back in 1984 and earlier but it fell on deaf ears and today those same ears have become much clear with the help the suicide bombers swabs provided.

The Israely-Palestinian problem is not about religion, it's a conflict that comes from more than three thousand years ago: L-A-N-D pure and simple.
it all revolves about land and nothing else.

The Dominican Republic was in fact the target of a suicide bomber by witnesses accounts after 9/11 as several saw how the plane was engulfed in flames and came apart before even plunging into Belle Harbor, do you really think the US administration and the FFA would come clean about a plane being blown up just a short time after 9/11, who the hel* you think would had flown in a plane after that? it all comes down to panic control as if they lost the people's trust to protect them every major corporation would had move overseas in a sec, since many are funded or heavily invested by foreigners and all major if not all air carriers gone out of biz in a week just as many were bailed out by this administration. If you ask any, and I mean ANY aviation dynamics expert they will tell you to a unison that the reason given by the NTSB and FAA was "Impossible" to duplicate even in a conditioned lab let alone in the real air, had this theory hold any water we would be witnessing a plane coming apart midair every two months so often according to the requirements the NTSB and FAA findings provide as a most likely cause.

Terrorist target the softest targets not the most protected, therefore I don't know what makes you think we will never become a target because we are so minute and unknown as a country to the Arab world? Come to think about it we have troops deployed in full combat fatigues in Iraq and if you pay attention they only way to differentiate a Dominican from an American GI will be the patch with the Dominican Army flag on their sleeves, an insurgent would have to be mad close to make the speck of difference deter his attack against the occupation troops.

Let's grow up from the cocoon and know this: WE ARE IN IRAQ IN FULL SUPPORT OF AMERICAN TROOPS UNDER THEIR DIRECT SUPERVISION AND THIS IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE BY ALL OF THE COUNTRIES IN THE ARAB STATES INCLUDING THE ONES WITH HATRED AND TERROR CELLS IN THEN!!!

Pichardo;

I think your summation of the "Bellle Harbor" crash is way out in left field!

In it's entire history of existence, the National Transportation Safety Board has ALWAYS rendered accurate and definitive causes/effects of ALL aircraft incidents/accidents! Believe me when I say they are COMPLETELY NON-PARTISAN (not in the political sense, but in the sense that they identify fault where-ever it may fall). Have you read the accident report of the accident you refer to?? I seriously doubt it! I think you are basing your summation on the comments of some disgruntled individuals who for some reason or another take exception to the scientific approach the NTSB used to arrive at their conclusions. I say this because I spent a year as the Flight Safety for Air Force Contract Management Division/ Air Force System Command and as such was a participant in many Accident/Incident Review Boards. I am intimately familiar with the methodology and approach that ALL Accident/Incident Boards use and know them to be interested in only ONE THING, that is the cause, and not a left field supposition!
Since NTSB Accident reports are public domain, may I suggest you call up that Accident Report on the Internet and review it. It MIGHT reveal some substance to you about the workings of the NTSB.

Texas Bill

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
DR not a target yet

All the major targets are soft targets yes but they are targets that have somehow openly supported the US. The best way to make a soft tagret into ahard target is to attack it. When 911 happened even Arafat said oops in private because he knew the gloves were off.
Now here we have a poor country that is pretty much off the radar of the terrorist groups. But it is a country full of proud nationalistic people. Let a terror cell do something here and then the DR population will demand justice. Let members of the secret police useing tactics from the DR and equipment from the US and we will see how well the terrorist like it. Let the terrorist in Camp X-ray at Gitmo be subject to DR prisons and see how much everyone complains about US treatment.

Having said all of that I Still feel it is a bad Idea for the reasons to follow.

While the trial by fire Idea is valid I feel it come short of one major problem. While most of the US military was not combat veterans when the war started they had a Profesional NCO corps that had trained and prepared for this action for years.
I myself have 19 years in the service and at my command we have over 1/3 of the crew with over 12 years. No matter what happens we have someone around us that has either experianced a situtaion or trained for it. It takes around 24 months of solid training as a unit to make them effective and I don't feel that it is doing anyone any justice to let them get there training OJT in a combat Zone.
John
P.S. If an american Soldier dies in service and he has elected to have the MAX Life insurance his family gets $250,000 US and spouse gets a pension of upwards of $1000 a month. If third world troops take up a cause led by one of the G 8 members how soon would they be relegated to the riskiest jobs. The civilian truck drivers over there now get over 75k a year to do that. How long would it take for the US or a contractor to start finding cheaper labor with in a polulation that say 1K a month would look good.
IMHO the best assistance the DR could give to its American allie is to deal with coruption and tighten its borders, modernise the infrastructure and flourish. This war wil llast possable a generation or more. It wil lnot only be a military fight but an econimic and political fight.
John

Last edited:

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Just a very brief comment.

Yeah, the DR military is probably pretty bada$$, when it comes to interogating prisoners, but do you think they are more so than say, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Pakistan, and let us not forget, Israel? Somehow, I don't think so.

As usual, things have gotten way more complicated than can reasaonably be discussed in this kind of communication. Things like. "did Iraq REALLY represent a terrosist (or any other) threat to the U.S.? " "What consequences would result from the U.S. attacking and occupying yet another Muslim nation?" Bear in mind, we have unfiniished business, uncompleted promises in Afghanistan. Who is all on their high horse about THAT?

When the U.S. beat Germany and Japan in World War II, we stayed and made sure that these countries, including the rest of Europe could stand on their own two feet. Hve we done that with Afghanistan? All our talk about human rights and such just kind of seemed to evaporate. Do you think that the Iraqis are looking at that example and thinking, hmmmmmmmm.

Okay, so it worked out to be more than just a brief comment......

Rose

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Saudis support the terroist

Remember members of the Royal Family actually donate money to the terror organizations.
As far as justification I can rattle all day about how the US was justified. The only thing is the justification was not what was put out in the press but that was not what this thread was about.
I just feel the DR is its own country. I feel as such any and all actions and participation should be done for their own reasons and security and not to be a mercenary force for the G-8 countries. The token forces that the DR and other countries are supplying in the Sceme of things are not that large a number but they give political support to the cause which I feel is justified. I just feel that sending a large number of troops for someplace like the DR is not in the best interest of the armed forces and the country at large.
What happens when that 100 million dollars the Osama has gets paid to some Hatians to be proxy terrorist. The DR needs to fix it country form the inside then they can help on the outside. How much money would it take to topple the government in the DR or just about any of the latin countries?
John

Last edited: