▫▫ Earthquake Reports ▫▫

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I felt it, which is really odd since most of the time I don't. Maybe it is because I was at home and quiet. It was, as described, short but strong.

Oh, I am in Puerto Plata.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I've looked at all the usual websites and I can't find anything. Either way, Guillermo definitely felt it while working in Cofresi last night. Not sure if our alarm at the apartment in Costambar went off, because no one was around to hear it.

Maryanne

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Found it

Earthquake was 3.7
55 km from San Pedro de Macoris
43 km from Monte Plata
31 km from Samana
25 km from Hato Major

Maryanne

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
My girlfriend felt a powerful aftershock Thursday, 5:04 pm, in POP..anybody else feel anything? Seismic graphs in Puerto Rico did register some activity right around this time, but I did not feel anything. She was home, I was at the office 1 mile away. I think my house is stretched over a fault line or built on sand.

S

Stephen

Costambar here

Conchman said:
My girlfriend felt a powerful aftershock Thursday, 5:04 pm, in POP..anybody else feel anything? Seismic graphs in Puerto Rico did register some activity right around this time, but I did not feel anything. She was home, I was at the office 1 mile away. I think my house is stretched over a fault line or built on sand.

We had that one and another stronger one here at about 6:03 in Costambar. That's two today, an hour apart. Our alarms went off both times.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
There was a reasonably small earthquake in Santiago about 10 minutes ago. Additionally there was another one this afternoon around 3pm. And a third one about 3 days ago.

The whole room was shaking.

I am surprised not to see any mention of these here.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
adrianb said:
There was a reasonably small earthquake in Santiago about 10 minutes ago. Additionally there was another one this afternoon around 3pm. And a third one about 3 days ago. The whole room was shaking. I am surprised not to see any mention of these here.
I will have to call Alba and see if she felt it. She is in our Santiago house with the kids right now. I did not feel it here at Xanadu, and I have been at my desk the whole time.

Quaqualita sent me this e-mail a day ago regarding Dr.Shou's predictions: " ... there was today a 5.0 quake in the Leeward Islands. Since Dr. Shou didn't have good enough data to predict the epicenter exactly, I'm just wondering.. maybe this was the one from 'our' cloud we had?"

Tom aka XR You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive in the DR.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
yep, about 8:05 pm, even my alarm, which is set pretty high went off.
Hope everybody is ok.
Seems like Dr. Shou's predictions came true after all....

quaqualita

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Talked to our kid's nanny, Alba is out. They didn't feel it. Our house in Santiago is a one storey on the southwest side of town down near AMET HQ, and the old sports stadiums.

Tom aka XR I saw a tree fall in the woods and I didn't hear it.

P.S.
Alba was in a nail salon in Esperanza at the time and no one there felt it either.

Last edited:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
It caused quite a commotion in Sabana Perdida - north side of SD. Moved furniture and sent everyone out into the street. - D

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I Think We Have a Winner!

quaqualita said:
... the quake at 8pm was a 5.3 with epicenter between Yamas? and Bonao.
This earthquake matches the previous prediction of Dr. Shou.

After hearing the reports last night I was pretty sure this was centered along the other fault, the one that runs through the southern half of the island. The effects were much stronger in the south around Santo Domingo, and the description of the movement sounded like a 5.0-5.5. I was going to check the exact location this morning, thanks for posting it Quaqualita.

I will post the information that Dr. Shou sent regarding this in the Earthquake Prediction thread in a few minutes for anyone interested. The specific prediction was in this post from March 4, 2004.

Tom aka XR If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made with meat?

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Tom,

Is that seismic information from a station in the DR? Is this new?

I went to that website but didnt see anything.

Last edited by a moderator: