240,000 Dominicans leave poverty levels every year?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The best way to measure the development/growing/economic improving is exactly this. Monetary value of currency tell the story well. One can continue to stick their head in the sand and pick once in awhile while elevados are build (over-valued and all BTW) but the end-state is still the same.

The growing portion stays within the same group of people, period.

Opinions are like Ass holes, everyone has one. but in your case and your time here, I know who has their head in the sand. once in a while is not a period of over 20 years or in AE's case 50 years. . Was not a big fan of Joaquín Balaguer. but the DR at that time did not have the debt load that it now has. But on the other hand was somewhat stagnant. As far as the elevados being overvalued are you talking cost or usage. You should have seen the traffic chaos at the roundabouts a Churchill an Avenida Tiradentes
As AE indicated Metaldom was in the boonies, and what was north of Kennedy was campo, excluding Arroyo Hondo Viejo an jardín Botánico

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Opinions are like Ass holes, everyone has one. but in your case and your time here, I know who has their head in the sand. once in a while is not a period of over 20 years or in AE's case 50 years. . Was not a big fan of Joaquín Balaguer. but the DR at that time did not have the debt load that it now has. But on the other hand was somewhat stagnant. As far as the elevados being overvalued are you talking cost or usage. You should have seen the traffic chaos at the roundabouts a Churchill an Avenida Tiradentes
As AE indicated Metaldom was in the boonies, and what was north of Kennedy was campo, excluding Arroyo Hondo Viejo an jardín Botánico

one thing people have to take into consideration is that with the march of technology, the lives of people improve even if their incomes remain the same. a simple case...10 years ago, if you had a Motorola flip phone, you were cutting edge. even though all it could do was to make and receive calls, in style. spend the same money today, you can make free calls, text messages, etc. whatsapp..no need to buy a dedicated camera..

get the point?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
one thing people have to take into consideration is that with the march of technology, the lives of people improve even if their incomes remain the same. a simple case...10 years ago, if you had a Motorola flip phone, you were cutting edge. even though all it could do was to make and receive calls, in style. spend the same money today, you can make free calls, text messages, etc. whatsapp..no need to buy a dedicated camera..

get the point?

Egregious comparison as phone now days cost x times more than they used excatly because of the developing technology vested into them, though this isn't related directly to the DR discussion, no need to expand any further.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

You are correct, this same reply defines an opinion and not necessarily a rebuttal.

Cost or usage of the elevados? Please allow me to mention Odebrecht and you could add two plus two from there.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You are correct, this same reply defines an opinion and not necessarily a rebuttal.

Cost or usage of the elevados? Please allow me to mention Odebrecht and you could add two plus two from there.

Odebrecht regardless of the corrupción are very good builders.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Egregious comparison as phone now days cost x times more than they used excatly because of the developing technology vested into them, though this isn't related directly to the DR discussion, no need to expand any further.

really? it all depends upon what you buy. you can opt to be a part of the in crowd, and spend 900 dollars to buy the latest Apple or Samsung. otherwise, you can get a nice BLU for 100 bucks that does the same thing, with a few less pixels per square inch.

as a matter of fact, it is relevant to the discussion, because anyone who studies economics recognizes that technolgical advances add to incomes in a roundabout fashion. just think about it.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Many, but many can flop cash down too. I do deposits twice a day, and the amount of people I see depositing large sums of money daily is amazing. This is one small bank in one small community so unless this is an anomaly confined to Jarabacoa, therre are a lot of people in the DR with money.

I see the impact of that money in the Playa Dorada area. A large number of new condos ($250,000 plus) are being purchased by DR families who live in the major cities but vacation on the North Coast. Im guessing these families don’t have to resort to financing. In the countryside, i get a different visual perspective. High end vehicles parked in driveways next to run down houses. A lot of those vehicles are in a state of disrepair or inoperable indicating the money ran out. 

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sadly she was the exception to the rule and I honestly wish this same journey is followed/spared more often by/to more Dominicans.

I take you are Dominican and as so, you know for a fact that this does not reach out to the normal populace, it usually stays within certain groups regardless of merits.

I truly wish it would.

BTW, congratulations to her, well done!

Well, I will you an example of it happening to the normal populace. A girl from the campo that my wife taught in high school, lived with a distant relative where she cleaned, cooked, and went to school. She was bright but not super intelligent but she was very good with kids so my wife told her she would hire her as a teachers assistant as long as she was going to school to become a teacher. She got pregnant at 18, and had Nicky, then two years later, leslie, then a year later Elizbeth. She worked for my wife and the kids went to our school until they were ready for high school. At this point she got a job offer with the school District in La Vega ( Adult Education) She also continued going to school and got her Masters. Her husband is a cabinet maker with sporadic income. He grew up next to my wife and was a poor as a church mouse. All three kids have graduated from high school. The oldest is a pharmacist, the second just got a volleyball scolarship to Oklahoma, and the youngest after doing a year as a exchange student in the Philipines is fluent in English and going to university in Santiago. Granpappy was a bean farmer out in the middle of nowhere, unable to read or write. I know many Dominicans that have acheived successes, and amazingly many of them have come from the campo.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
1 million people have been coming out of poverty every year now for 15 years straight according to PLD... You would think poverty in DR should be abolished by now.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The DR is NOT "third world."

It is a "developing country."

OK, if you want to call it that. Again, a country that can't provide the basics of clean water and 24/7 electricity to their population. They may be "developing" but many parts of the DR are still in the 3rd world.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
OK, if you want to call it that. Again, a country that can't provide the basics of clean water and 24/7 electricity to their population. They may be "developing" but many parts of the DR are still in the 3rd world.

Flint plus other cities in the USA can't provide their citizens with clean drinking water either, so I 'm not sure you want to use that as a qualifier. The DR is not a third world country anymore.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The terms are used in economics to differentiate between levels of development. ~I~ don't call iot that. Economists do.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Well, I will you an example of it happening to the normal populace. A girl from the campo that my wife taught in high school, lived with a distant relative where she cleaned, cooked, and went to school. She was bright but not super intelligent but she was very good with kids so my wife told her she would hire her as a teachers assistant as long as she was going to school to become a teacher. She got pregnant at 18, and had Nicky, then two years later, leslie, then a year later Elizbeth. She worked for my wife and the kids went to our school until they were ready for high school. At this point she got a job offer with the school District in La Vega ( Adult Education) She also continued going to school and got her Masters. Her husband is a cabinet maker with sporadic income. He grew up next to my wife and was a poor as a church mouse. All three kids have graduated from high school. The oldest is a pharmacist, the second just got a volleyball scolarship to Oklahoma, and the youngest after doing a year as a exchange student in the Philipines is fluent in English and going to university in Santiago. Granpappy was a bean farmer out in the middle of nowhere, unable to read or write. I know many Dominicans that have achieved successes, and amazingly many of them have come from the campo.

Wonderful story.

I do hope that the same chapter could repeat itself many time over but it isn't the case because in countries as this one wealth and opportunities stay within the same circle of people.

There are many with the skills, ingenuity, desire and intelligence to succeed if given the opportunity, yet the scholarships and the travels for education overseas are kept in a closed loop.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Flint plus other cities in the USA can't provide their citizens with clean drinking water either, so I 'm not sure you want to use that as a qualifier. The DR is not a third world country anymore.

The problems among the two are very different in nature; in Flint, water was made toxic, while in the DR there is no such thing as an infrastructure to attempt to even provide it.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
really? it all depends upon what you buy. you can opt to be a part of the in crowd, and spend 900 dollars to buy the latest Apple or Samsung. otherwise, you can get a nice BLU for 100 bucks that does the same thing, with a few less pixels per square inch.

as a matter of fact, it is relevant to the discussion, because anyone who studies economics recognizes that technolgical advances add to incomes in a roundabout fashion. just think about it.

My apologies but this has nothing to do with the subject of the conversation. Would add to it, but it has no merit.

Now, and if you would like to make it portion of the DR discussion one could argue that phone services in the DR are also catastrophic?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Are you an economist?

Good if you are, please provide your perspective?
I do have a MS-Economics.

I did provide my perspective.

But contrary to what some believe economics is a social science, not a hard science driven by math. In reality economics is driven by politics and assorted ideology. This thread is a good example with progs wanting Paiul Krugman or Larry Summers for a position of little real-world consequence but enormous political influence.

In that regard, most economists are as full of Pelosi as politicians are. They just want you to believe they're important when they really aren't. Most in politics are just hacks, most in private industry not much better than haruspex.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
My apologies but this has nothing to do with the subject of the conversation. Would add to it, but it has no merit.

Now, and if you would like to make it portion of the DR discussion one could argue that phone services in the DR are also catastrophic?

you need to compare it against other countries in South America and the Caribbean,