240,000 Dominicans leave poverty levels every year?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When i first came to the DR in 1997 directly after Huricane Georges and was immediately immersed in the lifestyle of poor dominicans many who became my Dominican family and saw with my own eyes rhe living conditions of the many mostly poor and some lower middle class Dominicans. I also met a few of the old money Dominicans like Felucho Jiménez. I compare the economic situation of most of those poor Dominicans I met 20 years ago and most are much better off. Their children are fed better and educated better. I dont believe anyone on the site as said that life is perfect for poor Dominicans because its not and almost everything in this country needs to improve but they have come a long way in a short time. CB is also married into a large Dominican family and yes he is educated with a business or two here in the DR.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I didn't think there was ever a need to treat folks as kindergarten students but now I know better; either that or some here know how to fake stupidity or at the least twist the obvious facts for personal gain.

In either instance, Sir what you've wrote described to the "T" the situation this country has been embarked in for centuries now.

You do get it, are you an Economist by any chance?

There was that Cobraboy poster self-appointing himself as one but was so off the mark that I seriously doubt he was?

Jason,

I don't think Cobraboy is self appointing himself to anything. He has a Masters degree in Economics, lives in the DR and runs more than one successfull busines. Look up MotoCaribe.

Gorgon is being modest. He once taught Economics to high school kids.

That being said, opinions will vary. I don't think what anyone has posted so far has been way off. Just different perspectives.

I read what you posted and I understand your point also.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Jason,

I don't think Cobraboy is self appointing himself to anything. He has a Masters degree in Economics, lives in the DR and runs more than one successfull busines. Look up MotoCaribe.

Gorgon is being modest. He once taught Economics to high school kids.

That being said, opinions will vary. I don't think what anyone has posted so far has been way off. Just different perspectives.

I read what you posted and I understand your point also.

Thanks for the reply and being part of the conversation. Yes, I've noticed the poster Gorgon and have read numerous of his replies, not knowing much or any of his background but now I do. Thanks!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
...In high school we had a class called sex education...basic human biology...how not to get pregnant.....

Dominican teenagers are taught this. We have a number of single female teachers in their twenties, and I believe all of them are sexually active and none of them have gotten pregnant. They must be using some method of BC.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Dominican teenagers are taught this. We have a number of single female teachers in their twenties, and I believe all of them are sexually active and none of them have gotten pregnant. They must be using some method of BC.

Oh boy!!

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
From a 14 year perspective, I see YUGE positive changes!

An entire month without water, great progress for a third world, my bad; "a developing country."

http://almomento.net/quejas-ciudadanas-denuncialo-barahona-no-le-duele-a-nadie/

Residents in Barrio Nuevo, sector Los Frailes II, located at kilometer 10/2 of the Las Americas highway, Santo Domingo East, reported this Saturday that they have been without potable water service for about a month, a situation that has it in a state of despair.

"We are having a very bad time, buying a small tank of water," complained a resident of Barrio Nuevo, who called this multimedia dominicanoshoy.com, to expose the calamities that are suffering from the lack of liquid.

He said that since last February 27 in the aforementioned sectors does not get a drop of water through the pipeline, a condition that limits him to perform housework, such as cleaning and washing clothes, among other daily activities.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
An entire month without water, great progress for a third world, my bad; "a developing country."

http://almomento.net/quejas-ciudadanas-denuncialo-barahona-no-le-duele-a-nadie/

Residents in Barrio Nuevo, sector Los Frailes II, located at kilometer 10/2 of the Las Americas highway, Santo Domingo East, reported this Saturday that they have been without potable water service for about a month, a situation that has it in a state of despair.

"We are having a very bad time, buying a small tank of water," complained a resident of Barrio Nuevo, who called this multimedia dominicanoshoy.com, to expose the calamities that are suffering from the lack of liquid.

He said that since last February 27 in the aforementioned sectors does not get a drop of water through the pipeline, a condition that limits him to perform housework, such as cleaning and washing clothes, among other daily activities.
We have NEVER had potable water in Jarabacoa. The vast majority of the country does not. I have to filter the water that the local authorities send to us, maybe 3 days a week, directly from a small stream. We buy 5gal bottles of water for drinking.

During the drought a couple of years ago we had no water at all for 6 weeks. It was tough sledding, no doubt, and without a pool to pump into the cistern it would have been ugly.

The DR is a "developing nation" in economic terms. I'm so sorry you don't like it. Perhaps you should vacation elsewhere.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
We have NEVER had potable water in Jarabacoa. The vast majority of the country does not. I have to filter the water that the local authorities send to us, maybe 3 days a week, directly from a small stream. We buy 5gal bottles of water for drinking.

During the drought a couple of years ago we had no water at all for 6 weeks. It was tough sledding, no doubt, and without a pool to pump into the cistern it would have been ugly.

The DR is a "developing nation" in economic terms. I'm so sorry you don't like it. Perhaps you should vacation elsewhere.

You sure have the tendency to be "bossy."

I don't vacation in the DR and if I did, I wouldn't need your "permission."

Developing nation in economic terms, :cheeky: ha!

What terms, rather surprised you side-stepped into the economics, care to expand?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I don't vacation in the DR and if I did, I wouldn't needed your "permission."

What terms, rather surprised you side-stepped into the economics, care to expand?
you don't have to believe him, but:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Dominican_Republic
http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/dominicanrepublic/overview
https://www.heritage.org/index/country/dominicanrepublic

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

I don't vacation in the DR and if I did, I wouldn't need your "permission."

You can PayPal me tuition and I'll be happy to teach you.