A Dominican posted this perspective on FB

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Regardless of the size of your speaker or the volume you play your music at, the mere fact that you assume I am at all interested in being compelled to listen to your noise pollution is indicative of the larger problem in this country.

Earplugs for sleeping and noise cancelling headphones at other times are my best friends here.
Well said Dave!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Regardless of the size of your speaker or the volume you play your music at, the mere fact that you assume I am at all interested in being compelled to listen to your noise pollution is indicative of the larger problem in this country.

Earplugs for sleeping and noise cancelling headphones at other times are my best friends here.
WEPA!
I haven't even moved back, and you're already throwing a hissy fit at the thought of me enjoying the weak sound produced my teeny-weeny, little, 3" x 2.5" bocinita.

Goodness, gracious!

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
WEPA!
I haven't even moved back, and you're already throwing a hissy fit at the thought of me enjoying the weak sound produced my teeny-weeny, little, 3" x 2.5" bocinita.

Goodness, gracious!
Hey I got a Bose Bluetooth about that size and it puts out amazing sound and volume
image.jpg

Reactions: Lucifer

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We have a fellow with a colmado on the street behind our building who plays music on weekends, but never loud; it's almost the level of elevator music and usually not past 7-8pm.
Even better, the guy has an excellent sound system and a very eclectic taste for music.
That's about as good as it gets.
Go share a beer with him and thank him for not blasting bachata though two 4' tall speakers until the wee hours of the madrugada.
By the way what do you consider eclectic ?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Go share a beer with him and thank him for not blasting bachata though two 4' tall speakers until the wee hours of the madrugada.
By the way what do you consider eclectic ?
He plays a little bit of everything, and I mean everything. But mainly old top 40 and latin music (but no dembow, rap, etc)

The best is it's always low volume and doesn't stick to one type of music.

I already beat you to the buying him a beer suggestion. ;)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
A lot of generalization going on here. I think in the entire time I have lived in the DR, I can count on one hand how many times noise/loud music was an issue. My SIL's area seems to have music playing on the weekends but by 8:00pm or so it is off. Most all neighbors are respectful, not all Dominicans enjoy loud music. Maybe it comes down to where you live. The thing is most everyone knows that the DR is not a "quiet" country, most knew that when they made the decision to move to the DR.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A lot of generalization going on here. I think in the entire time I have lived in the DR, I can count on one hand how many times noise/loud music was an issue. My SIL's area seems to have music playing on the weekends but by 8:00pm or so it is off. Most all neighbors are respectful, not all Dominicans enjoy loud music. Maybe it comes down to where you live. The thing is most everyone knows that the DR is not a "quiet" country, most knew that when they made the decision to move to the DR.

Don't dismiss all of the efforts Medio Ambiente to deal with all of the disrespectful offenders.

Reactions: keepcoming

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Noise? What noise?

I have severe bilateral hearing loss. Not being able to hear the speakers is one of its few blessings.

• Haha
Reactions: chico bill

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Well, real estate agents would be pissed off, some touristic towns like Cabarete and Sosua would be impacted, but that overall money is a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue from 10 million short term AI tourists added to the revenue from the cruise ships. You may have noticed that is where the focus is from the DR government.

Few of the islands are as cheap as the DR still is, so does their number really matter if they are not competitive in price.
Mexico

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
On the Facebook pages by Jarabacoans there are always lots of complaints about noisy people both music and motorcycles.
I've only been their twice Bob and I have to agree things are different there, the environment and trees and slower pace - may it's the cooler weather and why it's called the Switzerland of the DR. The Swiss are extremely quiet