A Hipster's Guide to Santo Domingo

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
Wow, this has been a fascinating conversation to read- especially people trying to understand what a "hipster" is! Ha! As a recent transplant to SD, coming from the hipster mecca of Seattle, I'd say places like la Alpargateria, Caciba, Mamey Libreria, la Espiral, Local 3, the now-defunct Nina's, Parque Duarte would be the evening scene here. But I like my hipster scene with a bit of dive-bar grunge, rather than the gussied-up higher end places. I wish there were more good coffee shops in la Zona though! Any suggestions- maybe I just haven't found them? Can't have a hipster scene with out fixie bikes and coffee shops!

I have to agree with RG84- hipsters probably wouldn't stay in an american-chain hotel tower, instead opting for a cool AirBnB in la Zona or Gascue.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Wow, this has been a fascinating conversation to read- especially people trying to understand what a "hipster" is! Ha!.............

I've said hat SD is good for Hipster but not for the reason mentioned in the article.
I don't know how you guys defined hipsters but for me hipster are kinda like the new hippies........ 

Interesting, from what ChelseaRose is saying and what RG84 said awhile back a hipster is no more than a hippie frozen in time back in the day thawed out. LOL

Peace............

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Interesting, from what ChelseaRose is saying and what RG84 said awhile back a hipster is no more than a hippie frozen in time back in the day thawed out. LOL

Peace............

Freeze dried Hippy is what I called it a few pages back....

Agreeing with the Master of the Aerie.......

No, I was not saying that. LOL  

I compared them to hippies because Hipsters like things laid back, more natural, not commercialized. They pickup things from the pass and make it their own, but not just the 60's and 70's. 

Funny I went into a restaurant today just to buy something quick to get change and pay for a cab, and said, "hey this has a hipster vibe to it." Went out paid the taxi, came back in and had a couple of drinks. Looked at the name and yes it was Dumbo. This was mentioned in someone's post before.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yep passed by it many times, Never stopped in until today and that's only because I was looking for change. 

Been around many many years unless its changed due to the old broad owner turning it over the the kids. Not Hipster. been everything from open 24hr. private bar area, taco tuesday pickup joint. etc

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Been around many many years unless its changed due to the old broad owner turning it over the the kids. Not Hipster. been everything from open 24hr. private bar area, taco tuesday pickup joint. etc

When was the last time you've been in there?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I've been going to Dumbo for years but I admit I haven't been there in a while. It's in a very interesting location. It would be interesting if it has become a hipster venue. I've only known it to serve decent food and cold Presidente. Usually a local clientele.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I've been going to Dumbo for years but I admit I haven't been there in a while. It's in a very interesting location. It would be interesting if it has become a hipster venue. I've only known it to serve decent food and cold Presidente. Usually a local clientele.

long time ago see rons reply. being hipster would be quite a change from yesteryear

I didn't say it has become a Hipster spot. I said it has  hipster vibe to it, which means I could see hipsters hanging there.
I'm going to go back again probably at night and see what's it like. My observation was based on the decor.

It reminded me of some of the old bars back home that no one would go into until gentrification came along and it became trendy to go there.