A lot of businesses closed in Sosua

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
As a tourist, I really liked the street closed to pedestrians at night.

But it didn't really surprise me that it didn't last. Sosua seems to be a tourist town without a plan.

It says it wants tourists but only certain kinds of tourists. It says it wants the things that tourist like but the moment they inconvenience some locals they get rid of it. They say they want a safe environment for tourists but some locals tolerate known thieves.

It seems to me that tourist towns all over the world benefit from a walking street.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i really do not get this approach of a moral cleanup before literal one, so to speak. isn't it more important to fix the infrastructure first before trying to curb the whore hunters international community? clean, functioning city is a better place to live for everyone and is attractive to tourists on its own.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
i really do not get this approach of a moral cleanup before literal one, so to speak. isn't it more important to fix the infrastructure first before trying to curb the whore hunters international community? clean, functioning city is a better place to live for everyone and is attractive to tourists on its own.

I agree with all the broken sidewalks these days. "Fill the holes" before worrying about tourist "filling the whores" :cheeky:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
As a tourist, I really liked the street closed to pedestrians at night.

But it didn't really surprise me that it didn't last. Sosua seems to be a tourist town without a plan.

It says it wants tourists but only certain kinds of tourists. It says it wants the things that tourist like but the moment they inconvenience some locals they get rid of it. They say they want a safe environment for tourists but some locals tolerate known thieves.

It seems to me that tourist towns all over the world benefit from a walking street.

I thunk the street was open to pedestrians at night, but closed to cars for which it was built. WHy a few businesses should be favored and the public be given the finger I don't understand.
Der Fish

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
Lol. You're right. I meant closed "for" pedestrians. On the phone, my thumbs and brain aren't always in sync.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
PUERTO PLATA ? The business and hotel sector of the municipality of Sos?a, reported that this destination of the North Coast was abandoned long ago

that seems to be a correct statement of facts. The fact they don't mention is that the decision to 'abandon' the NC for Punta Cana was the correct one. PC airport is the busiest airport allover the Carribean, so while goverments typically don't get a lot things right, this they did.

It's amazing how they (=NC Tourism) cling on to the past. The sooner they accept, that the NC will never become a prime tourist location for the regular vacationer, the sooner they can find a (niche) concept that works.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
I know for a FACT that PC was practically EMPTY, when the street was closed to traffic..

I can't really remember the details, but were there any provisions for people who come by car where to park?

Both sides of PC are typically full of parking cars and it's not like there is tons of free parking space nearby.

Not sure about the impact, given that Tourists will take Motos most likely, but especially Charlie P's and this area is frequented by locals, that might have had an impact.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I agree with all the broken sidewalks these days. "Fill the holes" before worrying about tourist "filling the whores" :cheeky:

We have very nice sidewalks now.Let's see some good side..

Now if they would just get them finished......

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Sure it did. The Dominicans visiting could now watch concerts by local bands that were to be scheduled every month. Dominicans visiting could take their children to watch movies that were being shown on certain Saturday nights. Dominican couples or singles could have dinner at good restaurants like Brittannia Pub and dine "open air" on the street comfortably.

Even Dominicans who just wanted to get drunk and pick up women "outdoors" could go sit out by Rumba and El Flow and see what's on the menu.

Except for some motoconcho drivers who couldn't be inconvenienced by having to park around the corner and the guys selling drugs in the abandoned "El Toro/Latin" disco and some Dominican business owners whose business model dated back to 1980, you are correct, it did not benefit that small minority.

However, MOST Dominicans who visited the area certainly benefited, and many of them mentioned it to me.

Yes that is your HO, NOT MOST PEOPLE's

It certainly isn't mine, and I was there all of the time.

I am only telling you what my Dominican family and friends were telling me. I understand it was better for Dominicans and expats with money.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
How is the sidewalk on the "highway" at the top of the beach going? It is the first step to condos being built on the beach. It should be a high priority.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Wait ,I think I finally caught you on some BS here my Frenn..
I know for a FACT that PC was practically EMPTY, when the street was closed to traffic..
Couple of Lonely Diners, and mostly Empty tables..

Was it a NICE Idea.. oh, I think it was great, not disagreeing with you.. would have been nice if it worked, but it did NOT.
and so you cant have it both ways..
It did NOT work, for whatever reason.. So it was NOT a good Idea for PC, NOR the Businesses who were Crying as they were bleeding Money every day..

So now that the cars are back and the Street is Busy again ( by your own obervations), mainly because the Idea was abandoned, you want to BOTH Give credit to Iliana Neuman for the Idea, which did NOT work
AND at the same time you want to say you are happy that the street is Busy gain ?

sorry, your facts are correct. but your reasoning can not be based on both, they are Direct Opposites..

not arguing, but it just does not add up.

You are wrong.

As a restaurant owner on Pedro Clisante I can tell you that the streets were very busy and the restaurants that bothered to put tables on the street and get involved did very well. Summer was like high season each weekend. We had movies and live music. Those who didn't "adapt" loss money and complained afterwards. A whopping 30 signatures on a petition go the street open again. Although we had 457 signature to keep it closed. It was all about politics and not about how busy we were.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
It's the low point of the season. The NC is usually pretty dead right after Memorial Day, and weekends notwithstanding, doesn't really start to pick back up until early September, with things getting back to business in November.

Alexandra's done nicely for many years, I imagine you'll see Morua Moi open again soon.

Yes you hit the nail, when I was driving tourist from STI to the NC I notice that... If I didn't make the money from October to March
my family would be starving the rest of the year.

JJ

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Morua Mai was only closed for a much-needed vacation, and then some painting and refurbishing. I believe they re-opened last week. I do some writing for Raphael from time to time.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
So the mayor in power (then had won with a good majority), being with the same political party as the government, also in power, was unable to implement a simple/good plan and hold on to it because of a minority opposition.

That doesn't sound good for the mayor, specially now winning with only 1.5% majority ...

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Yeagh, this is the part that was confusing me as well..
How can a handful of "NOT successful" businesses Rule for the Majority.. ?

I understand and APPRECIATE all the very good info NY DR Commuter has put up here.. sincerely do..

I just dont get how this was such a Good thing and was then Snatched away, by a Minority or " handful" of businesses. AGAINST the Wishes of the Other businesses, and the Full Support of the Mayor, who's Idea it was in the first Place, that just makes no sense.
And how exactly was the cracking down on Prostitution also part of the reason the street re opened ?
Did I read that correctly. Seems it would be the opposite.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The abandoning of the plan to close Pedro Clisante in the evenings was politically motivated and the result of a few who used their influence to get it overturned.

It was sucessfull and starting to gain a lot of supporters when these few managed to get it overturned.

Even though the group of business owners opposed to the closing was small, they had some local support (motoconcho drivers), and some political support (a recent failed candidate for mayor whose business was just closed by the "Attorney Genera" in Santo Domingo and whose constituency consisted of MANY motoconcho drivers) and a former Diputado who was from the opposing political party and a close friend and ally of one of the dissenting business owners.

It's ironic because one of the most vociferous of the opposing business owners has what has been for YEARS one of the less successful and probably the least frequented establishment on Pedro Clisante.

Just before this small group was successful in getting the street re-opened, the plan was actually functioning well and the majority of owners as well as patrons and an overwhelming majority of local residents including ex-pats were quite happy with Pedro Clisante being closed to car and motoconcho traffic at night.

The end of PC closer to Little New York Pizza hosted early evening movies for local families and concerts by local talent. Toward the middle of PC there was usually a band playing out front of Britannia Pub or Alberto Tipico and you could enjoy GOOD live music that was targeted to ex-pats. And at the far end of PC all of the more "notorious" businesses had set out tables so their patrons could sit comfortably and converse amongst themselves or perhaps choose one of the many young ladies who were enjoying the festivities to engage in some cultural conversation.

My point being this, you had every opportunity to enjoy any activity that you usually enjoyed on PC except now in a safer, more comfortable and generally accepted environment.

If local families wanted to bring their children early in the evening to watch a movie, no problem, the far end of PC was set up for that, away from the more "caliente" businesses and still enjoyable.

When ex-pats, and locals as well, wanted to listen to live music more in the "rock" genre, perfect, in the middle of PC a live band was playing at a bearable noise level in a safe, comfortable and enjoyable setting, out front of Britannica Pub was perfect, good food, good drinks, good music.

If you were looking for some female company for a little while or to make plans for later in the evening, the far end of PC was all set up for that. The streets in front of Bermuda Bar, El Flow, Rumba had plenty of tables set up. You could sit at a table and have a conversation at a reasonable volume and still order food and drinks and enjoy your company.

If you wanted to sit at ANY of the outside tables and just watch "the show" or just enjoy dinner or cocktails without dangerous motoconcho and car traffic, you had that option.

AND if you just wanted to go into a bar and listen to excruciatingly loud music, whether it be "Hip-Hop" or Merengue, get drunk, and leave with the first "working girl" you met, fine, STILL ON THE MENU ! ! !

The problem was the plan was only in effect for a couple of months, it never got a chance to continue through the normally busier tourist season.

The people who wanted it discontinued (absolutely a MINORITY) were successful.

But don't be confused, that fact that Pedro Clisante is very busy from the Merengue Bar to Rumba, IS NOT THE RESULT OF THE STREET BEING OPEN TO CARS AND MOTOCONCHOS. It is due to several business renovating and several business opening to take advantage of the the uptick in tourism that frequents that specific area.

Ok, this EXPLAINS it a LOT better, thanks..
Much appreciated..
Hopefully people will take the time to read ALL of your Detailed and very Informative Posts ...

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Yeagh, this is the part that was confusing me as well..
How can a handful of "NOT successful" businesses Rule for the Majority.. ?

I understand and APPRECIATE all the very good info NY DR Commuter has put up here.. sincerely do..

I just dont get how this was such a Good thing and was then Snatched away, by a Minority or " handful" of businesses. AGAINST the Wishes of the Other businesses, and the Full Support of the Mayor, who's Idea it was in the first Place, that just makes no sense.
And how exactly was the cracking down on Prostitution also part of the reason the street re opened ?
Did I read that correctly. Seems it would be the opposite.

Personal choice. I like the road open. My driver can drop me off right in front of Meregue and pick me up. That way I can avoid the many "families" that I hear the town is trying to attract. I would love to meet a girl from the U.S that would accompany me for an evening on Pedro, without throwing a drink on me for bringing her to hooker central. Anyone who brings a family especially kids on P.C has a strange idea of family entertainment.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Just so we are clear, as you seem to be bothered by Ilana's victory and obsessed with percentages.

When the PLD and PRD formed an alliance recently this year Ilana now gained the backing of the government in power.

Don't be too concerned with those percentages you like to post. They mean very little.

You say "doesn't SOUND good".

Actually doesn't mean SH1T.

Well, you more sounds like mayor's campaign manager than a normal fan/supporter, even a die hard fan would have a few criticism now and then, in your case it is a one way street.

PLD and PRD joined way before the election, she had time to implement what she wanted (a good plan). I also doubt the government had any say or interest in closing or opening a small part of a Pedro Clisente in small town like Sosua at night.

Let's see if she re-implements this (good) street closure plan now, even for weekends... !? (no excuses now)

The problem is she has to follow orders form those who bank-rolled her and supported her to power, and those are a few rich minority with a lot of influence who like to control and run the town (unelected ADSS !?). But that is not a surprise, it happens in a lot of places, just looks silly trying to make as it is something else...

And percentages are DAMN important, with joining of PLD + PRD and in-power government/party backing, the mayor only manages 1.5% percentage majority.

You can swing it whichever way you like, it's the fact, and does NOT sounds good. Don't take my word for it, because of low majority she is now trying to go to bed with others:

Ilana Neumann negotiating
http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4473&article=1

And to show I also have positive things to say about the mayor, I can see her on all the nice photos for casa de arte, ballet school, when sport teams win, when there is a concert with famous people, and so on (very photogenic) - I wish she would come and walk down the street one day/night, talk a few tourist, ex-pats (get a feel for what happens in her town), I have seen Willy in town many times.

By the way I am not a Willy supporter at all, was just hoping for a change, just can't see much progress on the status quo for the next 4 years.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Well, you more sounds like mayor's campaign manager than a normal fan/supporter, even a die hard fan would have a few criticism now and then, in your case it is a one way street.

PLD and PRD joined way before the election, she had time to implement what she wanted (a good plan). I also doubt the government had any say or interest in closing or opening a small part of a Pedro Clisente in small town like Sosua at night.

Let's see if she re-implements this (good) street closure plan now, even for weekends... !? (no excuses now)

The problem is she has to follow orders form those who bank-rolled her and supported her to power, and those are a few rich minority with a lot of influence who like to control and run the town (unelected ADSS !?). But that is not a surprise, it happens in a lot of places, just looks silly trying to make as it is something else...

And percentages are DAMN important, with joining of PLD + PRD and in-power government/party backing, the mayor only manages 1.5% percentage majority.

You can swing it whichever way you like, it's the fact, and does NOT sounds good. Don't take my word for it, because of low majority she is now trying to go to bed with others:

Ilana Neumann negotiating
http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4473&article=1

And to show I also have positive things to say about the mayor, I can see her on all the nice photos for casa de arte, ballet school, when sport teams win, when there is a concert with famous people, and so on (very photogenic) - I wish she would come and walk down the street one day/night, talk a few tourist, ex-pats (get a feel for what happens in her town), I have seen Willy in town many times.

By the way I am not a Willy supporter at all, was just hoping for a change, just can't see much progress on the status quo for the next 4 years.

Good Catch... If a Majority of the businesses on the strip want it, and it was a good plan, and the good Mayor has full support now, what would keep her from Re Implementing the closing of the street . Seems like it would make everyone Happy , No ?
Or is the good mayor on to some Other Plan now ?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006

Maybe if she did a walk about she'd notice the hundreds of rental moto popup businesses blocking the few parking spaces in town.

Last edited by a moderator: