A lot of businesses closed in Sosua

spanky27312

Dec 7, 2008
Just wondering what happen to casa Valeria, we had reservations and was just informed it will be closed for major repair...they already when the ought that...sounds fishy to me.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Willy "would have fixed this town."?? Really? How? When Willy was VICE MAYOR he couldn't even keep his own club, "D'Latin Drink", from being shut down.

He himself didn't propose ANY plan or direction as to what he was going to do to change Sos?a if he was elected. Perhaps if he actually HAD a "platform" he would have won. Unfortunately for Willy the people supporting him and cheering him on are the same crowd that believes Pedro Clisante is solely responsible for all the revenue that is generated here in Sos?a, myopic to say the least. But let's face it, this group basically has the equivalent genealogy of the kid playing the banjo on the porch in "Deliverance". But I digress.

Don't worry no geese are being sterilized. As far as "Pedro Clisante" itself?? The businesses on this 100 meter section of PC are adjusting to the changes in tourism just fine..

"Pedro Clisante" on a Friday night is PACKED. 51 Fridays a year it is crowded from Rumba to Merengue almost without exception. What you heard is wrong.

In the past six months several NEW business have opened in this area and several have been renovated and are expanding.
Blue Ice is now open and although not packed has a steady crowd and is growing.
Burbon Street Grill opened recently and is very busy almost every night, on the weekend it's packed. It is now probably the busiest restaurant in Sos?a.
The Sabor Dominicano restaurant just opened where the old SPOT lounge was and already has a decent local client base.
Chez Monreal renovated and is now open 24 hours.
Premium Bar & Disco did a complete renovation and has a steady crowd every night and is packed on weekends.
Cafe Cubano has been purchased and renovated, it is now larger, cleaner, brighter and doing better than ever. Soon to have their own private cigar lounge.
The brand new Sunset Plaza behind the old D'Latin Drink is now open and will soon be re-opening the popular "EL FLOW" disco in this plaza.

At least the businesses that are adapting on this part of Pedro Clisante are doing well. And it looks nicer than it did just one year ago. The single most glaring difference is where Bourbon Street Grill now stands. Before, there stood an empty, boarded up, abandoned disco, that was a filthy eyesore, dangerous and disgusting. Now it is a nice new restaurant that is doing GREAT.

The ONLY place closed in the heart of PC is Willy's D'Latin Drink.

Sounds good, I will take you at your word, and come to visit Soon and see for myself.
But as I said , from multiple Expat Facebook pages all i see is " slow season" with pictures of EMPTY streets, as in really empty.
Maybe they are mistaken and their Cameras are lying to them, I will see for myself..

as to Willie and his Dlatin club we all know that was PERSONAL and the good Mayor and her henchmen had him shut down, on a technicality of some license lacking..

If you are even remotely suggesting that D'latin closed because of a lack of customers, then you sir are trying to fool the wrong person.
D'Latin was the busiest bar on the whole Strip, he was forced to close. Not sure where you get your news from.
I am glad Bourbon Street Grill is doing well, will check them out..

Which El Flow Disco are you talking about.. The former Platinum Disco, which was in the back of the old El Flow ?
Did not know that.. Thanks.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I am glad Bourbon Street Grill is doing well, will check them out..

You're in for a treat. "Big D" is arguably the best chef out there, and while his menu keeps it simple and easy, his skill set is outstanding. He also is very personable.

If you eat pork, try the ribs. If you don't, try the ribs anyway, lol.

Seriously, he's got something for everyone there, and it isn't subject to Dominican interpretation. BBQ tastes like BBQ, a po' boy tastes like a po' boy, and chicken and waffles...well, you get my point.

It's not a menu for the impossibly fickle, but if you're a ride-or-die foodie, what are you doing in Sosua, anyway?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You're in for a treat. "Big D" is arguably the best chef out there, and while his menu keeps it simple and easy, his skill set is outstanding. He also is very personable.

Seriously, he's got something for everyone there, and it isn't subject to Dominican interpretation. BBQ tastes like BBQ, a po' boy tastes like a po' boy, and chicken and waffles...well, you get my point.

It's not a menu for the impossibly fickle, but if you're a ride-or-die foodie, what are you doing in Sosua, anyway?

when celebrities are prepared to fly you in to cook for their parties, you know you are good.

Oct 11, 2010

Um, "Big D" is not the chef at Bourbon Street Grill.

But the food is good.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Willy "would have fixed this town."?? Really? How? When Willy was VICE MAYOR he couldn't even keep his own club, "D'Latin Drink", from being shut down.

He himself didn't propose ANY plan or direction as to what he was going to do to change Sos?a if he was elected. Perhaps if he actually HAD a "platform" he would have won. Unfortunately for Willy the people supporting him and cheering him on are the same crowd that believes Pedro Clisante is solely responsible for all the revenue that is generated here in Sos?a, myopic to say the least. But let's face it, this group basically has the equivalent genealogy of the kid playing the banjo on the porch in "Deliverance". But I digress.

Don't worry no geese are being sterilized. As far as "Pedro Clisante" itself?? The businesses on this 100 meter section of PC are adjusting to the changes in tourism just fine..

"Pedro Clisante" on a Friday night is PACKED. 51 Fridays a year it is crowded from Rumba to Merengue almost without exception. What you heard is wrong.

In the past six months several NEW business have opened in this area and several have been renovated and are expanding.
Blue Ice is now open and although not packed has a steady crowd and is growing.
Burbon Street Grill opened recently and is very busy almost every night, on the weekend it's packed. It is now probably the busiest restaurant in Sos?a.
The Sabor Dominicano restaurant just opened where the old SPOT lounge was and already has a decent local client base.
Chez Monreal renovated and is now open 24 hours.
Premium Bar & Disco did a complete renovation and has a steady crowd every night and is packed on weekends.
Cafe Cubano has been purchased and renovated, it is now larger, cleaner, brighter and doing better than ever. Soon to have their own private cigar lounge.
The brand new Sunset Plaza behind the old D'Latin Drink is now open and will soon be re-opening the popular "EL FLOW" disco in this plaza.

At least the businesses that are adapting on this part of Pedro Clisante are doing well. And it looks nicer than it did just one year ago. The single most glaring difference is where Bourbon Street Grill now stands. Before, there stood an empty, boarded up, abandoned disco, that was a filthy eyesore, dangerous and disgusting. Now it is a nice new restaurant that is doing GREAT.

The ONLY place closed in the heart of PC is Willy's D'Latin Drink.

Pay for play keeps Sosua open. Take away that clientele and over half of the businesses will be shuttered.

Oct 11, 2010
Sounds good, I will take you at your word, and come to visit Soon and see for myself.
But as I said , from multiple Expat Facebook pages all i see is " slow season" with pictures of EMPTY streets, as in really empty.
Maybe they are mistaken and their Cameras are lying to them, I will see for myself...

Come on down!!! Take a look. It IS slow season and there are PLENTY of empty streets, but Pedro Clisante on a Friday night is not one of them. I'm sure their respective cameras aren't lying to them, but what I do know for sure is they are not photographing Pedro Clisante on a Friday night. I live here and pass through Pedro Clisante at least three times every day. And thank you for taking me at my word.

as to Willie and his Dlatin club we all know that was PERSONAL and the good Mayor and her henchmen had him shut down, on a technicality of some license lacking..

I don't know who "we all" are, but "you all" are wrong, it WAS NOT Mayor Ilana Neumann who closed D'Latin Drink. It was closed by an order from Santo Domingo, specifically Francisco Dominguez Brito, who has even mentioned it himself on several occasions. Believe me, the mayor had nothing to do with it.

If you are even remotely suggesting that D'latin closed because of a lack of customers, then you sir are trying to fool the wrong person.
D'Latin was the busiest bar on the whole Strip, he was forced to close.

I am not suggesting D'Latin closed because of a lack of customers, and I'm not trying to fool anyone. I am well aware it was the busiest bar on the strip. Like I stated above, D'Latin was closed by an order from the "Attorney General" of the Dominican Republic, not the mayor of Sos?a.

Which El Flow Disco are you talking about.. The former Platinum Disco, which was in the back of the old El Flow ?
Did not know that.. Thanks.

El Flow was taken over by Platinum Disco, El Flow was closed and Platinum Disco took over their entire spot were El Flow was for many years.
Now, the original El Flow will be re-opening in the new Sunset Plaza, and Platinum Disco remains open where it is.

Not sure where you get your news from.

As to where I get my "news" from. I will tell you this, I have a greater knowledge and understanding of what goes on here in Sos?a than you can possibly fathom. You post about "Expat Facebook pages" and pictures of "EMPTY streets", you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know.

I have been living here in Sos?a for many years, and visiting for many more. I work here every day, six days a week, ten hours a day and I must be available 24/7. ALL my employees are DOMINICAN and live here or close by in Sos?a, Cabarete, Sabaneta, Gasper Hernandez, La Union, Puerto Plata, etc. I work daily with many of the residents here, so I get to hear their opinion about what is going on.

My daily interactions cover a broad spectrum of the Sos?a populace. I am in constant communication with hotel owners and employees, bank representatives, real estate brokers and developers, doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, school teachers, pharmacy managers, restaurant owners, etc. All who call Sos?a home. I have personally met with EVERY mayor of Sos?a since I have been living here, including Arismendy Medina, Mundito Brown, Alexis De La Cruz, Vladimir Cespedes, and Ilana Neuman.

I speak DAILY with several POLITUR officers and have known several for YEARS. I know most of the higher ranking officers of the Policia Nacional here in Sos?a, and find myself visiting "el cuartel" more often than I would like. I know many military officers, some of whom are my neighbors. You would be very surprised how many actually have residences here in Sos?a.

My contacts are not limited to these people only. I also PERSONALLY know the owner of EVERY one of the larger "tourist" establishments on Pedro Clisante. I know most of the employees of those establishments, and many of the "local" patrons. I also know a few of the "ex-pats" and "tourists" who frequent these places.

On Sos?a beach, I know just about everyone from the Charamicos entrance, to the parkling lot at the other end in front of the Sos?a Bay Hotel. I walk the length of this beach almost every day, and I'm out fishing with many of my local friends and neighbors every Sunday.

I also know many of the local taxi and motoconcho drivers, and many of the "vendors" here in Sos?a. And besides these local residents, I know quite a few of the people who come here from other parts of the country to work in the "tourist" industry.

What I post is first-hand knowledge of what I see going on here in Sos?a day-to-day, and what I hear from my business associates, clients, employees, friends and neighbors.

Oct 11, 2010
Really? BSG inside Victorian House? Where did he take off to?

Big D, who is a GREAT GUY and personal friend, left Victorian House and worked for a little while at Rumba. Gladly, for me anyway, he is now back on the beach and just about every Sunday, I INDULGE!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Come on down!!! Take a look. It IS slow season and there are PLENTY of empty streets, but Pedro Clisante on a Friday night is not one of them. I'm sure their respective cameras aren't lying to them, but what I do know for sure is they are not photographing Pedro Clisante on a Friday night. I live here and pass through Pedro Clisante at least three times every day. And thank you for taking me at my word.

I don't know who "we all" are, but "you all" are wrong, it WAS NOT Mayor Ilana Neumann who closed D'Latin Drink. It was closed by an order from Santo Domingo, specifically Francisco Dominguez Brito, who has even mentioned it himself on several occasions. Believe me, the mayor had nothing to do with it.

I am not suggesting D'Latin closed because of a lack of customers, and I'm not trying to fool anyone. I am well aware it was the busiest bar on the strip. Like I stated above, D'Latin was closed by an order from the "Attorney General" of the Dominican Republic, not the mayor of Sos?a.

El Flow was taken over by Platinum Disco, El Flow was closed and Platinum Disco took over their entire spot were El Flow was for many years.
Now, the original El Flow will be re-opening in the new Sunset Plaza, and Platinum Disco remains open where it is.

As to where I get my "news" from. I will tell you this, I have a greater knowledge and understanding of what goes on here in Sos?a than you can possibly fathom. You post about "Expat Facebook pages" and pictures of "EMPTY streets", you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know.

I have been living here in Sos?a for many years, and visiting for many more. I work here every day, six days a week, ten hours a day and I must be available 24/7. ALL my employees are DOMINICAN and live here or close by in Sos?a, Cabarete, Sabaneta, Gasper Hernandez, La Union, Puerto Plata, etc. I work daily with many of the residents here, so I get to hear their opinion about what is going on.

My daily interactions cover a broad spectrum of the Sos?a populace. I am in constant communication with hotel owners and employees, bank representatives, real estate brokers and developers, doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, school teachers, pharmacy managers, restaurant owners, etc. All who call Sos?a home. I have personally met with EVERY mayor of Sos?a since I have been living here, including Arismendy Medina, Mundito Brown, Alexis De La Cruz, Vladimir Cespedes, and Ilana Neuman.

I speak DAILY with several POLITUR officers and have known several for YEARS. I know most of the higher ranking officers of the Policia Nacional here in Sos?a, and find myself visiting "el cuartel" more often than I would like. I know many military officers, some of whom are my neighbors. You would be very surprised how many actually have residences here in Sos?a.

My contacts are not limited to these people only. I also PERSONALLY know the owner of EVERY one of the larger "tourist" establishments on Pedro Clisante. I know most of the employees of those establishments, and many of the "local" patrons. I also know a few of the "ex-pats" and "tourists" who frequent these places.

On Sos?a beach, I know just about everyone from the Charamicos entrance, to the parkling lot at the other end in front of the Sos?a Bay Hotel. I walk the length of this beach almost every day, and I'm out fishing with many of my local friends and neighbors every Sunday.

I also know many of the local taxi and motoconcho drivers, and many of the "vendors" here in Sos?a. And besides these local residents, I know quite a few of the people who come here from other parts of the country to work in the "tourist" industry.

What I post is first-hand knowledge of what I see going on here in Sos?a day-to-day, and what I hear from my business associates, clients, employees, friends and neighbors.

Good thorough post,..taxi drivers are some of the best sources of info in Sosua, they have more juice than the P.D.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Thanks for the insightful first Hand info NY-DR Commuter..

Can you tell us what is going on with Rhumba ? Whats the word , is Bobby ever coming back. ?. Is Rick, the Biker Dude Still running the place ?

Oct 11, 2010
Thanks for the insightful first Hand info NY-DR Commuter..

Can you tell us what is going on with Rhumba ? Whats the word , is Bobby ever coming back. ?. Is Rick, the Biker Dude Still running the place ?

Rumba is doing great, packed every night. Rick is no longer at Rumba, he opened a small restaurant a little further down on Pedro Clisante. As far as Bobby coming back, for now he is content with how things are running and being handled here.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
PC is busy every night I drive by when off work around midnight to 2 am.

The bowling ball reference is wrong!

I live in hooker central in Sosua, and I have a dog that I walk 3 times a day. We usually take a route that does NOT include the strip, but usually on the way to dinner on PC, it is impossible to avoid. PC is always busy. Day and night. Every day.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
PC is busy from breakfast to kick-out time and even some places don't close up so where the idea that it's empty comes from I don't know.It is low season and some are taking advantage to get the work done and holidays cleared before the big bash starts but PC is still open for business.

As for that bowling ball...
It would probably 'change ownership', as wealth re-distribution is called, before it got 50 yards.....

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I live in hooker central in Sosua, and I have a dog that I walk 3 times a day. We usually take a route that does NOT include the strip, but usually on the way to dinner on PC, it is impossible to avoid. PC is always busy. Day and night. Every day.

One of my favorite Meemselle Lines of all time ( i guess when you were walking your dog )

" Excuse meeee..... whore"... LMAO...

Oct 11, 2010
A while ago someone had the great idea to close Pedro Clisante to traffic in the evenings and for a while it was a pleasure to sit at tables in the street, unmolested by moto-conchos doing wheelies the wrong way at 100 miles an hour. Very tourist friendly. But like many great ideas here it was soon abandoned.

That idea came from the mayor, Ilana Neumann. And yes, it was a great Idea. Unfortunately because of a few business owners on PC and a couple of "politicos" who were against the idea, it eventually was re-opened.

What a shame. Even though in the beginning there was some sarcastic criticism here about how foolish the mayor was for thinking she could turn Pedro Clisante into "Disneyland" and trying to "clean-up" Sos?a was futile. Soon, most people after experiencing zero car and motoconcho traffic for themselves, warmed up to the idea. They realized it actually benefitted just about everyone.

What most people didn't and still don't realize is that the mayor's ultimate goal was not to turn PC or Sos?a, for that matter, into "Disneyland", but to make that particular section of Pedro Clisante a little more "hospitable" for EVERYONE.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Sad to learn Valentino's closed at Sosua Pola. No more guilty pleasure trips there. Did they also leave LaSirena in POP?

Jul 28, 2014
To each his own. I hate Cabarete and its flow. Too many expats that want to change things to the way it is back home. Sosua still offers an old beach town flavour, it offers a town that you can walk around in safely with great markets. I will take Sosua beach any day over Cabarete. Can you even swim safely in Cabarete??? no you can't.

I guess you didnt read the fact the lower portion was a quote I took from someone else... Read the threads 100% in chronological order por favor