A suggestion for summer learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yo tambi?n.

Perhaps we could compile a list of common mistakes made by learners, correcting them and explaining the rule (Lesley D!) which would not target anyone personally.

Edited to add - still trying to work out the alt thing on my laptop. Had to cut and paste from Word to get that ? right.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Yo tambien.

Perhaps we could compile a list of common mistakes made by learners, correcting them and explaining the rule (Lesley D!) which would not target anyone personally.

Great idea chiri.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
I have a paper with all that.

Espera que lo busco

#1 make sure the "numbers lock" is on
#2 hold down the "alt" key

? = alt 160
? = 130
? = 161
? = 162
? = 163
? = 164
? = 165
? = 168
? = 173
? = 129

Doesn't work on laptops because you need the numbers pad on the right.
You will see the letter with accent once you release the alt key

Question, what would you need this " ? " in?
?- is used in german for sure, i know the also have letters with the two dots in french but I haven't seen it on the U yet....I'm still learning.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
mofi said:
?- is used in german for sure, i know the also have letters with the two dots in french but I haven't seen it on the U yet....I'm still learning.
See post #15 in this thread.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yipppeeeeeeee!!!!!

Robert is going to give us a subsection in my forum. wooohoooooo!!!!!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Anna,

Congratulations! You have the power.

================

Sorry Anna I was tight for time earlier. However, I wanted to say the accent you asked about "?" is called "la di?resis". As I mentioned earlier it is used with verbs that end in "guar" in certain tenses to retain the original sound of the "unconjugated" form of the verb. However, this accent is also found in many words in Spanish for example:

nicarag?ense
Mayag?ez
ambig?edad
cig?e?a
antig?edad

without the accent the pronunciation would be completely different.

-Lesley D

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ahora me siento muy feliz. :classic:

Is there a rule about where and when to use the accent on a letter or is it something you have to remember?

Gracias

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
To raise is 'levantar' but I don't know if it's used in the sense of putting your hand up in class.

There is a set of rules about accents. The norm is that the penultimate syllable of a word is stressed. If a word deviates from that norm, the syllable that needs to be stressed has to take an accent on the vowel.

E.g. p?jaro - without that accent it would be pronounced paJAro with the stress on the middle syllable instead of the first.

The other purpose of an accent is to distinguish between words that are spelled the same but have different meanings. Lesley already mentioned el and ?l, and there is also si (if) and s? (yes).

Another handy thing is that most, if not all, words ending in ion take an accent on the o.

To an extent, you have to memorise them. But it helps to know the rules.

Lesley, Pib and others - feel free to correct me and/or fill in any gaps.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Levantar like Portuguese okay I'll remember that. I tend to mix up Portuguese and Spanish lol. Voy a practicar, gracias!

Chirimoya said:
To raise is 'levantar' but I don't know if it's used in the sense of putting your hand up in class.

There is a set of rules about accents. The norm is that the penultimate syllable of a word is stressed. If a word deviates from that norm, the syllable that needs to be stressed has to take an accent on the vowel.

E.g. p?jaro - without that accent it would be pronounced paJAro with the stress on the middle syllable instead of the first.

The other purpose of an accent is to distinguish between words that are spelled the same but have different meanings. Lesley already mentioned el and ?l, and there is also si (if) and s? (yes).

Another handy thing is that most, if not all, words ending in ion take an accent on the o.

To an extent, you have to memorise them. But it helps to know the rules.

Lesley, Pib and others - feel free to correct me and/or fill in any gaps.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Words ending in a vowel,s or n without a written accent the stress is on the penultimate syllable. Otherwise it is on the last if there is no accent.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Music said:
Siento profesora, (don't know how to say put up my hand) ? mi mano primero pr?xima vez :laugh: ;) help a girl out? :classic:
Se dice "levanatare la mano la proxima vez".
You would most definitely use it in a classroom setting.
Also, even though I didn't use it, you would put an accent on the last "e". You always do it when using the future tense of the verb.
e.g. levantare ( I will raise), trabajare ( I will work) etc.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
stewart said:
Se dice "levanatare la mano la proxima vez".
You would most definitely use it in a classroom setting.
Also, even though I didn't use it, you would put an accent on the last "e". You always do it when using the future tense of the verb.
e.g. levantare ( I will raise), trabajare ( I will work) etc.
I think another accent mark is needed: levantar? la mano la pr?xima vez

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Es una idea muy buena!!

I also think this is a great idea.

I have completed two University-level spanish courses yet I feel as though my spanish is lacking greatly. I was planning on re-teaching myself what I have learned over this summer and this forum would be almost like a virtual class and make the experience alot more enjoyable.

Count me in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.