Air conditioners....what brand?

havinfun99

Oct 20, 2008
Danny let me give you a little advice. First of all the TGM brand is an asian non-brand. The company you mentioned buys ac units and puts their label on. Second Mitsubishi was one of the best mini-splits but now has become just one of the best. Samsung, Carrier and Trane are also excellent. Trane units are always expensive but are worth the money. The Samsung is an excellent unit especially because they now have some "smart inverter" technology. This just means they can run at lower capacity - the compressor too. The only problem with mini-splits in DR is that if and when they do develop a problem techs with limited experience will be working on a unit that is nothing like a typical ac because they are full of circuit boards.
I suggest not going for the cheapest if you are going for the long term and also make sure the installation is done properly which means if they finish in one hour they were sloppy.
I read Robert's post and agree with most of it. The only thing I disagreee with was his suggestion of sizing the unit. A "rule of thumb" which is not perfect is 300 square feet per 12,000 btu in a semi-tropical climate. This only works on first floor of your house with concrete above. If you want an exact answer, you need a heat load calculation but must have all measuments and describe type of construction. The other problem with sizing a unit is one has to take into consideration how often the unit will be used. Cooling a room once a month for three days is much different than keeping it comfortable on a daily basis. Air conditioning does not cool a space, it actually takes out heat and moisture.
If you have further questions please feel free to pm me. Also I will be happy to help you with the installation.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Danny let me give you a little advice. First of all the TGM brand is an asian non-brand. The company you mentioned buys ac units and puts their label on. Second Mitsubishi was one of the best mini-splits but now has become just one of the best. Samsung, Carrier and Trane are also excellent. Trane units are always expensive but are worth the money. The Samsung is an excellent unit especially because they now have some "smart inverter" technology. This just means they can run at lower capacity - the compressor too. The only problem with mini-splits in DR is that if and when they do develop a problem techs with limited experience will be working on a unit that is nothing like a typical ac because they are full of circuit boards.
I suggest not going for the cheapest if you are going for the long term and also make sure the installation is done properly which means if they finish in one hour they were sloppy.
I read Robert's post and agree with most of it. The only thing I disagreee with was his suggestion of sizing the unit. A "rule of thumb" which is not perfect is 300 square feet per 12,000 btu in a semi-tropical climate. This only works on first floor of your house with concrete above. If you want an exact answer, you need a heat load calculation but must have all measuments and describe type of construction. The other problem with sizing a unit is one has to take into consideration how often the unit will be used. Cooling a room once a month for three days is much different than keeping it comfortable on a daily basis. Air conditioning does not cool a space, it actually takes out heat and moisture.
If you have further questions please feel free to pm me. Also I will be happy to help you with the installation.

Evidently you know something about air conditioners. I will be sending you a pm, but I'm sure others might be interested in your opinions so following are a few questions:

1. I've pasted what seems to be the standard sizing chart. You recommend almost double these btu recommendations. Can you elaborate?

100?150 sq. ft. 5,000
150?250 sq. ft. 6,000
250?300 sq. ft. 7,000
300?350 sq. ft. 8,000
350?400 sq. ft. 9,000
400?450 sq. ft. 10,000
450?550 sq. ft. 12,000
550?700 sq. ft. 14,000
700?1000 sq. ft. 18,000
Additional Air Conditioner Variables

In addition to the size of the room, usage may require additional capacity.

* Kitchens are usually much warmer than the rest of the house, so add an extra 5000 BTUs per hour to the number required by the square footage.
* If the room is very bright or heavily shaded, increase or decrease capacity by 10% respectively.
* If the room is used by more than two people, increase the air conditioning capacity by an additional 600 BTUs per hour per person.

2. You mentioned that the frequency of use figures into the equation. If a unit is to be used very INfrequently, would that require more or less btus?

3. Since TGM is readily available in the DR, is there a way to determine what is the actual original brand an model that TGM has re-branded?

4. Do you have recommendations as to where to buy splits in Santiago or the North Coast?

thanks,
Danny

havinfun99

Oct 20, 2008
sorry for delay; I do not get on the computer every day. Yes, thanks I do know something about air conditioning. I have worked in many facets of construction for over 20 years.
About TGM equipment: will investigate but I believe they are from China and private labeled. The Samsung units are from Korea and Trane is made in the US.
I agree with Robert that a good engineer will undersize a unit by 10% to assure good dehumidification. As I mentioned the actual definition of air conditioning is the removal of water vapor from a conditioned space. Why is this important? A large unit will cool a room well but will not dehumidify; have you ever been in a room that feels "clammy"? This is an uncomfortable feeling that even can allow mold to grow. The issue in the US is that homes are sealed and caulked so well that infiltration of outside air is next to impossible. The humidity level also can cause the cheap wood in most homes to become damaged; crown moulding (wood trim) can even snap off the wall. In DR this is less of an issue because homes are not sealed that well.

havinfun99

Oct 20, 2008
OK I wasn't able to fit the post properly. Let me get back to the sizing of ac units.
This is a very complicated issue that should take into account a number of variables including window sizes and exposure, amount of shade, overhangs, etc. There are programs used that do this. In the Southern US I believe a frequently used program is called Wrightsoft and has a fill in the blank form. People actually can do this for a living. I don't but I do know how to take the necessary measurements. I was giving you a rule of thumb at 300 sf but it is not crazy.
Anyway as far as your chart goes, I would not recommend it for a tropical environment in a house without insulation. My guess is that it applies more to US built homes with an insulated attic.
To answer the second part of the size question, I would say that a room that requires 8,000 btu for typical cooling would need somewhat more if it will only be cooled occasionally. Remember that the unit will need to remove all of the heat in the room first, before being able to condition it and thereby cool. Please also remember that if all of your cooling is going out the the adjoining hot rooms that should also be factored in.

GaryBrandon60

Nov 18, 2016
We expectation this information will facilitate you put together the correct choice and to locate a store where you can get air conditioning variety special brand.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
I would recommend Panasonic Inverter aircondicion. Corripio offers Panasonic - they also help with the installation. I think we paid 50.000 pesos for a 18000 btu . The best aircondicion we have had. LG and Samsung did not last long in the past and they use a lot lot more electricity.

Feb 7, 2007
We expectation this information will facilitate you put together the correct choice and to locate a store where you can get air conditioning variety special brand.

Of course, for monotonectally benchmark sustainable scenarios the phosfluorescently evisculated optimal strategy for theme areas will dynamically synergize enabled deliverables, while at the same time intrinsically underwhelm focused services.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Just for info anyone looking for a/c still in sosua across the street from caribe tours there is repair guy motors washing machine etc.. Installed two china inverter a/c ductless $1150 US*

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Just for info anyone looking for a/c still in sosua across the street from caribe tours there is repair guy motors washing machine etc.. Installed two china inverter a/c ductless $1150 US*

Yes. *The brand he's selling is called Aux, a Chinese unit (what isn't these days). *He quoted me 22,000 pesos, supplied, installed and 1 year guarantee for an inverter 12,000 BTU split unit.

Seems quite reasonable to me.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Yes. *The brand he's selling is called Aux, a Chinese unit (what isn't these days). *He quoted me 22,000 pesos, supplied, installed and 1 year guarantee for an inverter 12,000 BTU split unit.

I am very familiar with AUX air conditioners and they are good, one of the biggest manufacturers in the world. I've been inside one of their Chinese factories and I saw Samsung and Whirlpool coming off their assembly line.

The only larger air conditioner manufacturers in China are GREE and Midea.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Anyone know why window unit *air conditioners are not popular here. Very common *in the US and in last few years they have good efficiency numbers.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Anyone know why window unit *air conditioners are not popular here. Very common *in the US and in last few years they have good efficiency numbers.

I know, I know 7 year old thread but............

I have seen quite a few bedrooms with only one window. So on a day where you want to open the window you are up the creek.

Also a lot of windows in la rep dom are not double hung.

Security bars on window. With a window unit additional cost for special made security bars.

Blocks view from window.

I am from the USA and as you mentioned window units are the norm but I now prefer the split type.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

He is Good guy...make sure you get wall brackets also ..they are pretty quiet .

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I see I am not the only one. I had bought two Domoto 18,000btu split units from the old Conforama in Santo Domingo in 2011. The damn cases rusted out. One was salvageable and was fiber glassed. The other became parts. I tried researching Domoto and it is Shenghi Shining Corporation and they never answer my e mails. So I got fed up and laid out 1,300 for a Mitsubishi 18,000btu unit and had it shipped from the states for 125us. I hope it lasts. That weatherproofing is defiantly something I will be looking into. Don't know if I made the right move with shipping and such. But I can get another case for the next 7years at least I hope.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Maybe depends on the house? *Ours was built 30 years ago, and they automatically added a hole in the wall of each bedroom, with accompanying steel guard frame outside, for a "window" AC. One by one, they died, and it was almost impossible to replace them because splits are king in DR now. *We lucked out a couple of years ago when someone told my husband about a nearby compraventa that had two surprisingly new ones, and we snapped them up. *Next time we came down, we shipped new from NJ. *

All that being said, the new homes and condos that my in-laws live in, in Santo Domingo, had no such openings, so they have splits. *IMO they are better. They only require a small hole in wall, are up high and unobtrusive, and you can easily replace them. With ours, each new one meant cement work, as none of the replacements were the same size as the existing hole in the wall.

Jan 7, 2016
Window AC units are 1960-70s technology and badly outdated because of size and the noise quotient. The compressor on the split units is isolated away from the wall and the sound doesn't move indoors like with the window units. All you have is a quiet hummmm that makes for nice background noise for sleep at night. Just my opinion.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Because when you return from the beach, there will be a large vacant space where your A/C once resided....not to mention possible "visitors".