Air conditioners....what brand?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I bougth last year TGM AC Split 18,000 BTW, very good, 16 months of use and no problems.

Every A/C guy I know go recommend the TGM units. All of them say they are the "Toyota" of air conditioners.

They're simple, they run well, they are easy to fix, and parts are available everywhere.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
TGM units are very common here on the North Coast. Of all the Chinese brands, TGM is probably the best. They come in two different models. The best one has a "plastic" housing that won't rust but, more importantly, the compressor unit has a much improved condenser with special heavy duty alloy fins that will not be oxidezed as quickly by the salt air as the aluminum fins on the cheaper model.

It lasts almost twice as long as the regular model, but it costs almost twice as much. If you live on, or near, the beach, it's something you may definitely want to consider. You can buy a condenser coil spray for about 1000 pesos that will extend the life of both models. It must be applied before the condenser is installed.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Thanks for responses on window a/c units. I can deal with threats, noise etc. I was concerned that there were electrical issues like high compressor start up draw or the like. No view to disrupt, nor theft issues. The noise level is bad. I bought one a while ago and Dom wife took one look then started complaining about the noise level. A first, Dominican complaining about noise. She finally gave up.*

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
The TGM Compressor 18000 BTU with an inverter labelled "Excell" unit I had put in in 2007 worked great until the hand control died. I went to Linares in Cabarete to see if they could provide another since that is where I purchased 4 units. They sold me a Universal Remote that does not have the correct code in it. Does anyone know who the Chinese manufacturer is so that I can program a more extensive remote? I can't use the air conditioner because it is too high up on the wall to reach without a long ladder and I don't think I should have to purchase another unit simply because the remote doesn't work. Any info would be great. I suspect they were purchased on Alibaba.

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
I have a small hotel on the beach and regularly have to change the circuit boards in the A-C units due to salt exposure. This would also be the case with inverter models which I do not have. I was told to avoid inverters because it is difficult to replace the circuit boards with the range of universal units that are sold around here. Can anyone comment on that?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have a small hotel on the beach and regularly have to change the circuit boards in the A-C units due to salt exposure. This would also be the case with inverter models which I do not have. I was told to avoid inverters because it is difficult to replace the circuit boards with the range of universal units that are sold around here. Can anyone comment on that?

I would think the replacement costs of the boards for an inverter model would be less than the power consumed by non-inverter models.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The TGM Compressor 18000 BTU with an inverter labelled "Excell" unit I had put in in 2007 worked great until the hand control died. I went to Linares in Cabarete to see if they could provide another since that is where I purchased 4 units. They sold me a Universal Remote that does not have the correct code in it. Does anyone know who the Chinese manufacturer is so that I can program a more extensive remote? I can't use the air conditioner because it is too high up on the wall to reach without a long ladder and I don't think I should have to purchase another unit simply because the remote doesn't work. Any info would be great. I suspect they were purchased on Alibaba.

Look on ebay, you will find it.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Had the same problem, there is a TGM store on the right just before the new Jumbo in Puerta Plata, they have all the remotes, like 1000 pesos. You also can get a nice discount buying directly from the supplier, I've bought two there already. 

singletravel

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Had the same problem, there is a TGM store on the right just before the new Jumbo in Puerta Plata, they have all the remotes, like 1000 pesos. You also can get a nice discount buying directly from the supplier, I've bought two there already. 

singletravel

http://www.refripartes.com.do/default.asp?
Tienda_Puerto_Plata(1).JPG

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Trane is a good option, your problem is the ocean salt, check in the WWW to see if theirs a spray coat paint that can give you a couple extra years on the compressor, also try moving it to another location if its in direct contact from the ocean wind

Can you spray coat the cooling fins? They will be aluminum. I seriously doubt there is much you can do to stop the corrosion. Most people who have lived near the ocean would not do it again. Getting lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves turns out to be an aggravating expensive proposition. The ocean salt air destroyed my car in two years.