An Ideal Vehicle for All DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There are good second hand buys to be had.

Those rich SD people change cars frequently.
In the US, I scour the Greenwich CT area for used.....
Lots of money there and they like their cars to show it so they change almost every bonus season.... bargains to be had

Sto Dom must be the same.... low miles and young trades to be found if you can find them

Apr 7, 2014
It appears to be an older Montero without side curtain airbag(s) AND perhaps did not sustain the minimum required front end impact damage (but the damage to the right front surely seems like the airbag should have triggered the sensor and deployed).

That and if the airbag had deployed prior and was not properly re-installed.....could also be a possibility.

Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Airbags will deploy at greater than 10mph in a frontal impact.

Did the car have airbags? Alot of the times these cars without airbags will use a similar kind of steering wheel but it doesnt say SRS or Airbag on it. Also, airbag equipped vehicles tend to say it on the sill by the VIN number.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Airbags will deploy at greater than 10mph in a frontal impact.

Did the car have airbags? Alot of the times these cars without airbags will use a similar kind of steering wheel but it doesnt say SRS or Airbag on it. Also, airbag equipped vehicles tend to say it on the sill by the VIN number.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

We assume it did, we never specifically looked for it, but it was a top of the line/loaded vehicle when it was new, can't imagine they'd leave airbags out. Just got back from the police tow yard, another snag, will be able to remove it tomorrow hopefully, off to the junk yard, but we'll be able to remove personal effects first and I'll take a look at the steering wheel, just to know......

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We assume it did, we never specifically looked for it, but it was a top of the line/loaded vehicle when it was new, can't imagine they'd leave airbags out. Just got back from the police tow yard, another snag, will be able to remove it tomorrow hopefully, off to the junk yard, but we'll be able to remove personal effects first and I'll take a look at the steering wheel, just to know......

Your husband is up and about now ? How did he lose control and roll - was it distracted driving or another car ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Your husband is up and about now ? How did he lose control and roll - was it distracted driving or another car ?

He passed out while driving at about 50 mph, was unconscious when he hit the trees. Seems like some previously undiagnosed serious heart issues. Doc and police agree that it was the unconsciousness that saved his life. About 50 years ago, some psychic lady in DR told him he has a big Indian protecting him, we've often joked about it. I'd like to shake that Indian's hand about now.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I'm going to take the liberty to go off topic and wish Alter Ego's esposo a quick recovery, what a miracle!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
He passed out while driving at about 50 mph, was unconscious when he hit the trees. Seems like some previously undiagnosed serious heart issues. Doc and police agree that it was the unconsciousness that saved his life. About 50 years ago, some psychic lady in DR told him he has a big Indian protecting him, we've often joked about it. I'd like to shake that Indian's hand about now.

Well hopefully this is a blessing in disguise and his heart issues can be addressed. Is he talking about a new Montero yet ? That's when you know he's healing well.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
After more than a month of extensive research, here is what appears to be the ideal vehicle for anyone living full time in the DR. Add a light bar and a front end roadway obstacle remover and you're all set.

Still kind of pricey but that "feeling of owning the road", priceless.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/03/rezvani-tank-its-like-a-hot-wheels-car-brought-to-life/

QNef7I8.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I have a 1999 Daihatsu Terios that I bought in 2010.

It looks like hell now but runs well.

I call it Balaguer.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have a 1999 Daihatsu Terios that I bought in 2010.

It looks like hell now but runs well.

I call it Balaguer.

I'm a big fan of Terios and Sirions. Great cars, very dependable and economical.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am selling my Discovery. In very good shape at a good price.

I love those trucks. I've mentioned mine before. Comfortable and built like a tank. Can't cut corners on maintenance though, or they'll eat you alive.

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Hope I can find some help here, thinking to buy a '97 Subaru Outback, good idea or bad? I know they are quality cars but afraid of maintenance / limited parts available. Any things I should look for? Input greatly appreciated!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Hope I can find some help here, thinking to buy a '97 Subaru Outback, good idea or bad? I know they are quality cars but afraid of maintenance / limited parts available. Any things I should look for? Input greatly appreciated!

Yes look for a newer model

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I'm in the market now...

looking at Ford Escape and Jeep Grand Cherokee

Avoid the Cherokee - too many problems too list and it's not just my experience with them but several friends. Don't know much about the Escape but they are a Ford so after 120,000 miles expect everything could go