An Ideal Vehicle for All DR

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I got this dongle thing - FIXD - connects via bluetooth to my Iphone; works fine on my old honda cr-v. Had the check engine light come on and would not shut off, checked with FIXD and turned out to be related to fuel tank not expanding / contracting correctly, I have been able to just reset it with my phone.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I had and sold when I left a 2001 Toyota Hilux Surf 4x4 3 ltr diesel, yes it's a tank, yes it's a Japan market 4Runner that's been right to left drive converted but I loved it and I believe the current owner loves it. Talk about rugged and go anywhere.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Hey guys.....been away from here a suuuuper long time. Quite honestly I couldn't remember my login lol

AE sorry to hear about your esposo, hope hes doing better. Chico and others are right about airbag issues. I know I see lots of used cars from the states being shipped there minus airbags through forms of trickery.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hey guys.....been away from here a suuuuper long time. Quite honestly I couldn't remember my login lol

AE sorry to hear about your esposo, hope hes doing better. Chico and others are right about airbag issues. I know I see lots of used cars from the states being shipped there minus airbags through forms of trickery.

actually, a lot of cars do have the airbag modules in place, but, in the event of a wreck ,they will not deploy. when a car is involved in an accident, and the airbags deploy, sometimes it is not just the module that has to be replaced, but certain electronic parts, such as clocksprings. unscrupulous mecanics oftentimes get paid for the replacement, but pocket the money, and put back the old parts. in an accident, the electronic loop is open, and the bags do not fire. a diagnostic tool can tell you if your bag is on an open circuit.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
actually, a lot of cars do have the airbag modules in place, but, in the event of a wreck ,they will not deploy. when a car is involved in an accident, and the airbags deploy, sometimes it is not just the module that has to be replaced, but certain electronic parts, such as clocksprings. unscrupulous mecanics oftentimes get paid for the replacement, but pocket the money, and put back the old parts. in an accident, the electronic loop is open, and the bags do not fire. a diagnostic tool can tell you if your bag is on an open circuit.

Surely there are many cases of malfunction. What I was referring to will usually not be picked up by a scanner. I see many previously crashed cars being repaired and exported without airbags to save on cost. They bypass having an open circuit by putting a resistor in line. Scary stuff

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you travel widely in DR and not just the cities and Autopistas but deep into the campo and on some s**t surfaced roads and some really s**t unsurfaced roads and then don't have deep pockets or are simply money conscious, the question is what new all round car would you buy with reasons?

If you tell me some large gas guzzling, low all round driving performance SUV with blacked out windows or tuned up racer you haven't read the first paragraph. Why waste $$$$$ with a gas guzzler when you can't enjoy the wide variety of driving conditions and aren't a government official or gigolo trying to make a statement?

I have been influenced in the islands where Suzukis seem to be very popular and handle the very worst and best on offer and survive, yet I don't understand how the new range compares, so ask a question for the future.

Had a Mitsubishi Montero, not great gas mileage but a nice heavy duty vehicle with a great suspension for all driving conditions. Mine was an eight cylinder. If you can find a 6 cylinder you will get better gas mileage.