An Ideal Vehicle for All DR

Jan 9, 2004
for me the toyota prado diesel is a beast. It will climb very well in 2wd. For parts and repairs very easy. Only need 4wd for mud

Most of the time 2WD (front) is sufficient.

However, the OP's discussion references Suzuki.............and while many are two wheel drive..............they were also rear wheel drive..................a terrible choice for the campo/mountain roads where maximum traction may be necessary.

Not sure if Suzuki has joined the 21st century for SUV's to at least front wheel drive yet.

Buyer beware.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
A lot of Kia's as well are front wheel drive only.
You are right, I had an old land cruiser FJ 73 I just sold and even at the beach or finca hardly ever had to put 4x4 on.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
for me the toyota prado diesel is a beast. It will climb very well in 2wd. For parts and repairs very easy. Only need 4wd for mud

Actually the Prado is permanent 4wd.  If you get stuck in the mud, what you are doing is locking the center differential so that power is equally distributed to front and rear axles.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I will second PC2's suggestion on the Subaru.  It fits the OP's requirements perfectly.  Choice of three models.

Forester

8205.jpg

Legacy Outback

8175.jpg

Tribeca

5805.jpg

Subaru engineer excellent vehicles.

They are fast.
They are the best in their class off road.
They handle ( they have that rallying heritage)
They are not gas guzzlers
You don't need to black out the windows.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How is parts availability for Subarus in the DR? I hardly ever see one and that would concern me.

Jan 9, 2004
I will second PC2's suggestion on the Subaru.  It fits the OP's requirements perfectly.  Choice of three models.

Forester

8205.jpg

Legacy Outback

8175.jpg

Tribeca

5805.jpg

Subaru engineer excellent vehicles.

They are fast.
They are the best in their class off road.
They handle ( they have that rallying heritage)
They are not gas guzzlers
You don't need to black out the windows.

Tribeca has been discontinued. Its replacement is the Crosstrek.

Respectfully,
playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
I like the look of the Legacy more than the Forester..........but the Legacy is not considered an SUV.

Respectfully,
playacaribe2

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Most of the time 2WD (front) is sufficient.

However, the OP's discussion references Suzuki.............and while many are two wheel drive..............they were also rear wheel drive..................a terrible choice for the campo/mountain roads where maximum traction may be necessary.

Not sure if Suzuki has joined the 21st century for SUV's to at least front wheel drive yet.

Buyer beware.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Some helpful comments in this thread.

I do like the ruggedness and reliability of the manual 4 wheel drive Suzuki Grand Vitara with 2.4 engine. It has got me out of plenty of difficult situations including fast flowing river fords, and is tough as one can get. Great island option and the only option to hire in some places. The Grand Vitara is to be upgraded later this year and the rumor is it will still have the 2.4 engine unit be manual as standard and have all round drive. Saves big time on purchase cost compared to the models mentioned.

I can still fling this motor around twisty bumpy mountain roads with potholes whilst other SUV drivers take their time. They have done me well over the years throughout the Caribbean and saved me bucket loads of money.

I do like the Suburu Forrester but without dealerships here that rules that one out.

4WD is a necessity to be considered a vehicle for all DR imo. And price will come into the equation for most of us if buying new.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Parts availability is not a game changer for me.

If you buy at the main dealer you are seriously gouged on price.  If you buy aftermarket, chances are it's Chinese crap that won't last or could actually be dangerous as I learned when I purchased some aftermarket ball joints for my Prado.

Buy your spares in the Us and get them shipped over by one of the shipping companies, EPS, CPS etc.

The downside is that if it's an essential part, then your vehicle is off the road whilst waiting for parts.  The answer is to have a back-up means of transport.  If your own personal transport is essential to your lifestyle here, like it is mine.  Do not rely on one single mode of transport.  It will let you down at the most inconvenient time, when you least expect it.

Jan 9, 2004
Some helpful comments in this thread.

I do like the ruggedness and reliability of the manual 4 wheel drive Suzuki Grand Vitara with 2.4 engine. It has got me out of plenty of difficult situations including fast flowing river fords, and is tough as one can get. Great island option and the only option to hire in some places. The Grand Vitara is to be upgraded later this year and the rumor is it will still have the 2.4 engine unit be manual as standard and have all round drive. Saves big time on purchase cost compared to the models mentioned.

I can still fling this motor around twisty bumpy mountain roads with potholes whilst other SUV drivers take their time. They have done me well over the years throughout the Caribbean and saved me bucket loads of money.

I do like the Suburu Forrester but without dealerships here that rules that one out.

4WD is a necessity to be considered a vehicle for all DR imo. And price will come into the equation for most of us if buying new.

The Grand Vitara is redesigned for 2018...and the old axiom is to not buy a vehicle in the year immediately following a redesign.

By year two they usually have the bugs worked out.

Suzuki has a decent dealer network in the DR, one of which is a client of mine.

Again, good luck whichever vehicle you choose.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Tribeca has been discontinued. Its replacement is the Crosstrek.

Respectfully,
playacaribe2

Which is a shame as I liked the latest incarnation of the Tribeca, not so keen on the styling of the first. But the Tribeca is a larger sized SUV, more on par with the Highlander, whereas the Crosstrek is a small, almost compact SUV.

Shame Subaru don't have a large 7 seat SUV in the offering at the moment.

Jan 9, 2004
Which is a shame as I liked the latest incarnation of the Tribeca, not so keen on the styling of the first. But the Tribeca is a larger sized SUV, more on par with the Highlander, whereas the Crosstrek is a small, almost compact SUV.

Shame Subaru don't have a large 7 seat SUV in the offering at the moment.

Even the Tribeca was not a true three row of seats SUV....2.5 maybe, but not three...which definitely hurt sales in that market segment.

But it does beg the question, why create more competition for your own products in their market segment. Toyota did the same thing with the Venza....then was forced to discontinue it............due to poor sales.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
(Maybe a few Brits will understand my desire for good handling when I look for equivalent pace and control driving around the Great Orm in Lllandudno as a marker, which maybe equates a bit to Victor to Sabanete with potholes and bumps lol.)

Last time I drove the Welsh mountains Llandovery to Llandudno was on a Honda CBR600 in 1999. That ride is still etched in my memory!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am sorry Windeguy but I have had a Jaguar S-type diesel and put 242.000 kms on it (driving 80.000 a year) without Major problems. It's more the viavia stories than real experiences people tell. 

There are exceptions to every rule. No need to be sorry if you have one of them.