apartment saga ending

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Annie congratulations. Please reconsider your plan about to remove the prison bars. I would add an alarm too...
Just to be safe...Enjoy ....
You deserve it....
Lucille

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no.. there are already bars on the OUTSIDE.. this is just a new set of bars that the new owners put on the insides for when the apartment was empty.. and I do not know what the alarm would do except set off all the car alarms!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
you can tell they are new since they cover up the old inserts for the air conditioners which are the metal cages in the outside orginal bars. I have lived in the building for five years. We had one purse snatching once....never any sort of break in .. lots of folks around all the time, lots of nannies and kids, lots of dogs. lots of maids, lots of activity. Not a target sort of place.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
maybe the place was just used as an office in the interim before it was sold.. the back door was wired very tightly shut. That would have made sense.. if they had office equipment in it and there was no one there at night.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
so now there is no way to really clean the windows since they are louvers and you have to slide your hands in through the inside bars.. and i am going to put ac in the rooms so would have to cut out for the ac inserts anyway. They told me I could just remove them and store them outside if I wanted to.... thanks for the concern. I am totally savvy enough not to live without bars on the ground floor.

But I think that one set on the outside is enough protection. The inner set is just well.. not quite my decorating style.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
lol... I feel secure with the alarm... here in Santiago I joined to an alarm company "alerta" they are very good.
They respond real fast... even thou where I live we have a very good security company, the alarm is a plus...lol

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I can proabably get one that will trigger the car alarms.. that would wake my neighbors!!! They would all wake up if their cars went off and their were no fireworks. But I feel very safe here in this building and in this neighborhood, it was one of the reasons I was so bummed out thinking that I had to leave.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Are you going to have a DR1 party at your new apartment?

Congratulations.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Somehow, I think you should put a "To Be Continued" addendum to this thread!
Still too many "Ifs","Buts", and "Whens" to make me feel secure in your situation.
"MT", do you know that it's "OK" to put all your thoughts in one post, and not post each thought in it's own "POST"????????
Also, by offering "More Money" than the asking price, for everything, you are just "Muddying The Waters" for all of us.
The way it SHOULD be done here, is to fake a heart attack when you hear the asking price, and work down from there!
"Over Tipping" is another practice to be avoided.
I find that most "Over Payers", and "Over Tippers" here, are just trying to be "Liked" by paying too much.
That said, I hope your new place works out for your best!
Good Luck, and may I suggest a "Pot Luck Supper" for your "DR1 House Warming"?????
If you invite me, I'll bring something to eat that you will NEVER FORGET!!!
"FOOD", I mean, to stop all the speculation!
You can post a "LIST" here of things you would like for your apt, and see what turns up.
Do you need an "X-Esposa" by any chance??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
TOM
aka., CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
well i do think that I am finished posting when I hit the post button. B ut I have a sputter in the pipeline sometimes.

And I did explain about how it was the perfect apartment for me. As in I am in love with the off kilter architecture of the place. not to mention the birds that i have been feeding for years. And the perfect location for me. So capitalism won out.

But I did sign a five year lease at the ASKING price, not the offering price. It has a built in hike... can't remember the percentage but in five years I still will not be paying what I offered.

See God does look out for idiots

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I do need to buy a used fridge and stove for the landlady here. I posted in Santo domingo forum but you asked for a list.. I have the very basics. And will have fun filling in.

See now, this was another thought. came well after I had posted the last one.

As for the pot luck.. naw.. I have never met you guys.. no way do I invite you over, right? That would be fuoolish.

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
Offering more than advertised have a negative effect on the economic and locals who can not do even pay the $500 asked.
It is a mistake we expat usually make. I am in Ecuador now, in Cuenca, checking things out. Got a 3 bedrom 2 baths with river and mountaing view, just a gorgeous place , for $300 a month. The lady who cleans the place wanted $10 to do it, I felt bad and gave her $20 and realized the mistake I made; what used to be $10 in the building is now $20, everyone is asking $20. Worst yet, they told everyone that I paid $20 and that is the price now; I think I'm gonna have to find another place because people do not like me anymore.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
well again.. the place was NOT advertised. They were about to advertise it. they were just doing some cosmetic repairs. I think that as soon as they picked up the papers and started looking at the prices in the neighborhood, they would have raised the rate that they were asking. The price is WELL below what is on the market.

So.. I .. la gringa..may have offered more than the asking but I did not offer more than the market.

Of course there are not many of the old apartments that are for rent unfurnished. Most of the unfurnished places are the modern ones that have just gone up and they are more expensive.. smaller but all looking great before the building settles and the tub sinks.

And they ask more for the furnished places.

Lots of new buildings, lots of new for rent signs. Time will tell how long it will take them to rent. One building near us always has for rent furnished signs on it and has for five years. I am not sure who their maket is. Figure it has to be single men since most women will be happy in a furnished rental for just so long before they want their own stuff.

Is that sexist? or a fair observation? I don't know.

The couple downstairs just rented the two bedroom furnished place which basically had two beds, an old fridege and a stove in at.. for 20,000. Then moved in a full living room set and their old fridge. So perhaps others take over the furnished places like I sorta did, gradually filling/

and maybe I pay the maid too much by Domincan standards but .. really.. there is a level under which I just cannot pay.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have "DR1ers" who I have only "met" online in my house all the time.
SOME I let leave!
The "bruises" are all consensual!
We host an "Every Wednesday" family "POT LUCK" at my house.
Had a good crowd this week, 27!
Everyone is hereby invited,and welcomed to participate. Just bring some food, and "Enjoy The SHOW"!!!!
This week we had a "Picadera" of assorted "crackers",pita bread,ham,cheese,Kosher dills,and salami stuffed with cream cheese.
Dinner was Lasagna, meatballs, Italian sausages with onions & peppers, roast pork, and yuka with pickled onions.
"Cookies" and coffee for dessert.
I'm sure I left somethings out, but as you can see, no one left hungry!
Drinking :knockedou:knockedou:knockedou , dancing :bunny::bunny::bunny:, and being Dominican followed.:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I hate to admit it :(:(:(, but I always enjoy family get-to-gathers! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's like reading charles bukowski poem but without cats and wimmin :)

i am glad you have a place you wanted and i hope everything works out fine. leave at least some bars for security. in case you need an alarm let me know. i can give you details of a great company. a basic set, with sensors on all doors will not be all that expensive (maybe 20k pesos?). it only goes off if someone opens or tries to open the door, or if they enter the perimeter of the motion sensor.

cccccc, i think i am going to force the invitation out of you once i sail in there to renew my cedula. hopefully they'll have the plastic for printing...