Apt C5 at Club Residencial, Sosua

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I have rented apartments and houses in Argentina, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Colombia, etc. I only had one problem and it was in Costambar. This was a while ago. But the rest of the time I have rented in the Dominican and had nice places. I would say for the money (maybe not the location) Cofresi has some nice house to rent for a decent price. I normally check the place for towels, A/C, hot water, etc. One time they had to just clean the filters for the wall units. You can also try to negotiate on the price on some of them. Depending on the season and if it is last minute.

I rented a nice small house in Cabarete with a pool. It took 15 minutes to walk to where all the bars are located.

Before I read the review I was on the side of the OP, but it is clear to me that the OP had Expectations WAY too high for a place in the DR with a decent price!

You take a pic of a cockroach?! Are you kidding me? It is a HOT HUMID CLIMATE! It could be a 5star and there will still be Cockroaches! I have stayed at many 5 stars in the Caribbean, most had one roach sighting!

Not liking Sosua is some how the owner of the Condo's fault?! You are in the middle of a town in the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC do you expect total silence?!

I didn't think the reply from the owner was that bad at all, especially since I believe them about the OP being a pain in the ass!

Now I know why Tambo disliked every post!!

Personally I think you were lucky to be in that area and the place looks nice compared to what I thought it would look like!

Ty chrisgy for the link!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Where did the O.P. go! ?!?! I asked some simple with no responce. Maybe this thread ran its course because the O.P. got his digs in.

drescape24

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You take a pic of a cockroach?! Are you kidding me? It is a HOT HUMID CLIMATE! It could be a 5star and there will still be Cockroaches! I have stayed at many 5 stars in the Caribbean, most had one roach sighting!

I'm sure what the OP didn't know, and that I didn't know before living here, is that we have flying cockroaches. Seeing a cockroach here does mean the place is dirty. They fly into the apartments just like any other insect. That doesn't mean I like them any better or devote less energy into tracking them down and killing them, but I know that seeing one in the apartment is not the negative it would be in a US hotel/restaurant.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
OneEstonian, you say the location is lacking.

Your behavior of staying there for the month raises doubts about your story. PJT, if confronted with a lacking apartment would have packed up and relocated to better digs. There are better locations in Sosua.

The other comments you made about the behavior of the owner are unconfirmed implications. Your "A Dismal Disapointment" review on tripadvisor does not appear. Note: tripadvisor in recent months has been editing out dubious reviews.

You need to explain your case more:ermm: ; it is wanting in PJT's opinion.

Regards,

PJT

PJT...i can't help thinking about this Seinfeld episode when I read your posts...:D
[video=youtube_share;Apa0nG1OfUc]http://youtu.be/Apa0nG1OfUc[/video]

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Before I read the review I was on the side of the OP, but it is clear to me that the OP had Expectations WAY too high for a place in the DR with a decent price!

Not liking Sosua is some how the owner of the Condo's fault?! You are in the middle of a town in the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC do you expect total silence?!

I didn't think the reply from the owner was that bad at all, especially since I believe them about the OP being a pain in the ass!

Personally I think you were lucky to be in that area and the place looks nice compared to what I thought it would look like!

Ty chrisgy for the link!

Tio Tambo is an expert...:bandit::bandit:

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Did not know cockroaches flew till we moved here....and we were staying at the time at Infiniti Blu! Get over it and do your research by asking questions of people who are in the know. We moved here permanently 2 years ago, lived in Playa Chiquita on calle Boliva with all locals, Haitians and a few Italians (we are from Northern Michigan) moved to Infiniti Blu for a short period of time...thought we were living on a resort, people walking up onto the patio to take a photo next to our BBQ grill, dah! Now we have found a home we rent long term. We had visited this country 14 times and about 9 different areas to narrow it down to where we wanted to retire. Retirement came early after identity theft and my husband loosing his eyesight from a stroke (now 100% sight again) and we are not surprised by anything we see, hear or hear about....this is the Dominican Republic a world all its own

T

Terrisitagg

I'm great with criticism if it is constructive, and guides me to make enhancements to assist my guests in having a more pleasurable visit. Not as good when it comes to vindictive, malicious exaggerations and lies.

T

Terrisitagg

To the O.P....... How did you find this condo to rent? Referral? Web site? Real Estate company? What made you chose this condo?

drescape24
I only use FlipKey to advertise my condo, and with the exception of this very malicious review, have had excellent relationships with all my guests...the problem lies with the guest, not the condo.

T

Terrisitagg

I just read the trip advisor review and there are always two sides to every story we know that... BUT I am flabbergasted at the tone of the response to that review. The response did note the prior great reviews but then the response went south there. I just think a better response would have been to emphasize the positives and not make it so personal.
That response didn't help the owners reputation?for that matter neither will a lawsuit.

P.S I just want to add that after reviewing the listing and despite that one poor review I wouldnt have hesitated to rent there?. as would most reasonable, knowledgeable vacationers. What would make me pause just for a bit is the tone of the response.

Thank you for that, I apprieciate your input...I have "toned down" my original response, but stand by the sentiments. The malice of this one terrible guest pushed me a bit far. The issues with their rental were many (not just the ones I commented on originally), and the fact that she joined DR1 just to complain about me is quite telling.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I try to weed out the potential problem tenit through email. Believe it or not they do expose themselves if given a chance. Good luck and C.R. is a nice complex even better if the Admin would leave. But that's another story.
At least you landed on your feet with some free exposure!

drescape24

May 5, 2007
I'm great with criticism if it is constructive, and guides me to make enhancements to assist my guests in having a more pleasurable visit. Not as good when it comes to vindictive, malicious exaggerations and lies.

The Guest’s method of using this forum solely to criticize your apartment was poor, your personal reply on trip advisor also was in poor taste You likely lost more "respect" from your reply then the satisfaction you gained from letting him have it

Without being there I'm willing to bet the guest had issues with the stay (looks like the electric costs may have been primary) and then you and he/she became so upset with one another a resolution could not be found

Hospitality business is tough, unfortunately you have t grovel a bit to keep even pain in the ass guests coming back (Not necessarily the one mentioned but anyone reading the remarks)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
You cant please everyone - I ran a guest house in the UK, you should see my guest book from the best thing since sliced bread to the pits of the earth

OneEstonian

Apr 20, 2014

Ty chrisgy for the link!

I actually am quite aware of flying roaches and mosquitos in the Carribean Islands, I just don't expect holes and gaps in screens that let them in, in a rental unit described as "luxurious". I also think it's false advertising to describe a place as "comfortable" when it isn't. No one likes to be misled. It leads to a very unsatisfactory vacation.

As for the rest of being a pain in the ass: Our lock broke (no, we didn't bang on it), we reported it to the front desk and it was fixed. The cooking gas ran out, we reported it to the front desk and it was replaced at once. The hot water faucet dripped the whole time and it was never fixed. The only other issue I had was on the last day when the balance of our deposit was left at the reception and the cost of electricity came to $77. I wrote the owner expressing SURPRISE, since our cost the month before in Cabarete had been $14. She became very angry because she felt I was accusing her of being dishonest. I wasn't, but I did believe the cost was high because the hot water faucet dripped for a month.

I don't hold owners RESPONSIBLE for the noise and trash and prostitutes in Sosua, but I do believe prospective renters should be aware of it.

OneEstonian

Apr 20, 2014
I just read the trip advisor review and there are always two sides to every story we know that... BUT I am flabbergasted at the tone of the response to that review. The response did note the prior great reviews but then the response went south there. I just think a better response would have been to emphasize the positives and not make it so personal.
That response didn't help the owners reputation?for that matter neither will a lawsuit.

P.S I just want to add that after reviewing the listing and despite that one poor review I wouldnt have hesitated to rent there?. as would most reasonable, knowledgeable vacationers. What would make me pause just for a bit is the tone of the response.

We left Sosua on March 19th. Does it surprise anyone that I received no notice of theft, damage, harassment, or threats of lawsuits until almost a month later ? after I posted a negative review?

In retrospect, my review probably was overly caustic ? but not untrue. I was still angry at having to spend a month of our vacation in such an inferior apartment, for which we paid more than anywhere else we have ever spent our winter vacations.