Apt C5 at Club Residencial, Sosua

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
1.) described as "luxurious".

2.) As for the rest of being a pain in the ass: Our lock broke (no, we didn't bang on it), we reported it to the front desk and it was fixed. The cooking gas ran out, we reported it to the front desk and it was replaced at once. The hot water faucet dripped the whole time and it was never fixed.

3.) but I did believe the cost was high because the hot water faucet dripped for a month.

1.) Depends on your definition. Mine is that the place isn't.

2.) Lock and gas taken care of right away. A dripping faucet in a 50 buck a night condo in the DR is no big deal.

3.) Is there not a switch to turn off the heater when not needed? Leaving the switch on causes the water heater to burn out quicker costing the owner. And 77 bucks for 24/7 power in Sosua is a bargain.

I have visited CR and find the common areas to be more than excellent. The condo i looked at was nice and had a garden/pool view. For Pedro Clisante it is a 5 star condo building in a 1 star section of town. But rumor has it that the old Palace is now rehabbed and accepting reservations.

OneEstonian

Apr 20, 2014
To the O.P....... How did you find this condo to rent? Referral? Web site? Real Estate company? What made you chose this condo?

drescape24

Sorry i missed your question. I got the owners info from the same Tripadvisor page/ad you see when you find my review.

One Bedroom Condo in the Exciting Center of Sosua

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We left Sosua on March 19th. Does it surprise anyone that I received no notice of theft, damage, harassment, or threats of lawsuits until almost a month later – after I posted a negative review?

In retrospect, my review probably was overly caustic – but not untrue. I was still angry at having to spend a month of our vacation in such an inferior apartment, for which we paid more than anywhere else we have ever spent our winter vacations.

Having quite a bit of experience on customer service, I would be willing to take a lot from paying customers before saying anything. Not of course completely sure about this case, but if I were the landlord, a negative review could be a trigger to say finally something...

As there were not details not sure what was the deal with electricity in your Cabarete place, but I agree with others, 77 USD sounds very normal. In my opinion, if you complain of a utility price, or compare it with two locations (which is fine, but only with facts, in my opinion), you should also post what was your deal with the both landlords and how were things being calculated.

You might not hold the owners responsible for the apartment being in Sosua, but writing that in your review that IS about their apartment, does not look good for them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
$14 A Month For Electricty Is Surprisingly Low

The $77/month electricity is not a surprise. I pay more than that and I turn on hot water (it is on a timer) for 30 minutes before a shower and use the AC in my bedroom at night to take the humidity out of the air.

If you really paid $14 for a month, then the reason has to be a difference in how the 2 condominiums bill electricity.

Condos use a lot of electricity in the public areas, and this has to be paid for one way or another. It can be in the maintenance fee paid by all the owners, or it can spread between the apartments in the electric charge so each apartment only pays its fair share. That is what we do where I live and I suspect that is what is done where you stayed. So when I get my bill (electricity of each apartment is metered) my charge is for what I consumed and 1/18 (we have 18 apartments) of the charge for the electricity consumed by the common areas.

In the first condo, the common area electricity is apparently paid in some other way. But that is rare.

However, $14 still sounds quite low, even if you were paying only for what you consumed. Edenorte charges are not low.

OneEstonian

Apr 20, 2014
The $77/month electricity is not a surprise. I pay more than that and I turn on hot water (it is on a timer) for 30 minutes before a shower and use the AC in my bedroom at night to take the humidity out of the air.

If you really paid $14 for a month, then the reason has to be a difference in how the 2 condominiums bill electricity.

Condos use a lot of electricity in the public areas, and this has to be paid for one way or another. It can be in the maintenance fee paid by all the owners, or it can spread between the apartments in the electric charge so each apartment only pays its fair share. That is what we do where I live and I suspect that is what is done where you stayed. So when I get my bill (electricity of each apartment is metered) my charge is for what I consumed and 1/18 (we have 18 apartments) of the charge for the electricity consumed by the common areas.

In the first condo, the common area electricity is apparently paid in some other way. But that is rare.

However, $14 still sounds quite low, even if you were paying only for what you consumed. Edenorte charges are not low.

Price of electricity was merely a SURPRISE on our last day since we were charged only $14 for electricity at the end of our stay in Cabarete. I don't know the specifics of how landlords charge and I can't explain this fact. This was just a small component of my comparison between 2 D.R. accomodations with the same monthly rent.

OneEstonian

Apr 20, 2014
My deal with both owners was the same. I paid a security deposit in the beginning, and on the last day the balance, minus electricity was returned to me. Thats's all.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Price of electricity was merely a SURPRISE on our last day since we were charged only $14 for electricity at the end of our stay in Cabarete. I don't know the specifics of how landlords charge and I can't explain this fact. This was just a small component of my comparison between 2 D.R. accomodations with the same monthly rent.

What I don't understand is why you felt it necessary to reopen the issue on DR1. It doesn't change anything and it is obvious that your attempt to black list someone or some place is not working.

I hope the moderator will close this thread since we seem to be starting over.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I would agree with Harley...and I didn't think the owners reply was out of the ordinary
Before I read the review I was on the side of the OP, but it is clear to me that the OP had Expectations WAY too high for a place in the DR with a decent price!

You take a pic of a cockroach?! Are you kidding me? It is a HOT HUMID CLIMATE! It could be a 5star and there will still be Cockroaches! I have stayed at many 5 stars in the Caribbean, most had one roach sighting!

Not liking Sosua is some how the owner of the Condo's fault?! You are in the middle of a town in the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC do you expect total silence?!

I didn't think the reply from the owner was that bad at all, especially since I believe them about the OP being a pain in the ass!

Now I know why Tambo disliked every post!!

Personally I think you were lucky to be in that area and the place looks nice compared to what I thought it would look like!

Ty chrisgy for the link!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Both palaces showed a metered result.

Metered by whom? The electricity supplier or the landlord? If the two places were roughly the same size, and there was this difference, I would have questioned the calculation. Also agree what Ken says above, regarding the electricity on public areas.