Are we doing enough?

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
If it is legal, and you are interested in importing clothes for a religious organization, I MIGHT be able to give you a name or two of some evangelical(I am a Baptist missionary) pastors or missionaries. I should note a few considerations with such donations(which I do NOT normally handle).

1. washed-no one wants to unpack your stinky laundry after it has been boxed up for 3 months and sort through it
2. good repair
3. appropriately modest
4. Long sleeved shirts are worn here.
5. It is helpful to sort it before shipping it according to type(shirts, pants, mens, womens etc.)

Please note that shipping is expensive and not easy. For instance, we use a missionary service that collects our packages and mail in southern Florida(postage must be paid to get it there or else it must be delivered in person). Also, the agency charges us US$.90 per pound, and then we still have the general hassle of customs and have to help unload everything. If there are customs fees, of course we are then responsible to pay them. We consider that service to be very inexpensive for our needs. In other words, there are more difficult and also much more expensive ways to ship things.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Andre,
I have begun exploring the link you provided. I agree with you: we need to do more and talk less.
St. Francis of Assisi said, "Preach the gospel at all times and when necessary, use words."
Thanks for sharing your site.

Amity

Andr?

Feb 15, 2002
www.reisenundhelfen.de
Thank you !

If you do anything to help other people you do not have only friends! Some of them means - Why you help people in the DR ?
- Why you help black people ? Why Why Why ?

I had enough to talk about help, i like to help! And i can?t make a different between DR or an other country, i can?t make a different between black, white or yellow people! And i don?t want to say excuse me that i help !

And so if you agree with me and you like my work than i feel happy! Happy about that some people think the same!

So i like to say thank you very much!

Best Regards
- Andr? from germany

cinders

Sep 19, 2002
Children

I would like to respond to "are we doing enough" and offer some support based on our experience in Egpyt.

In Luxor they have a small charity organisation called "sunshine" an orphanage for children. We spent some time with the children there and it was an invaluable experience for us on how egyptian children access education, basically it relies on a pen or pencil (a virtually non-existent commodity out there).

Tourists are requested to donate at the end of there holiday all items they no longer require such as pens, pencils, plasters, bandages, barrier creams, safety pins, toothpaste etc. These are distributed to local hospitals and medical centres. Items of clothing are donated to families who are in need. The long dress you'll never get into next year... the long trousers that will shrink in the wash... the cheap t-shirt you bought for your son / daughter that will not fit next year...

All items were collected by the tour rep and distributed to the people thay had become friends with.

In the All-Inclusive culture that seems to dominate the DR, could the Tour Reps not become involved? When baggage allowances are so low, could someone not design a web site to promote a collection point somewhere where individuals could help on a regular basis by donating their items that will not fit into suitcases because they have bought so many souveniers from the DR?

My husband and I are visiting the Dr next week and will be bringing pens, pencils and sewing kits and anything else we can fit into our small baggage allowance to distribute at "Integration Juvenile" in Puerto Plata. Hope this inspires others to contribute in a small way......

Cinders

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
If you really want to do something for your communities or organizations, how about setting aside a certain percentage of your income for such causes? For instance, if we were to take the biblical tithe (10%) of a net after-tax income of $25,000 per year, you would have $2,500 per year to spend helping others in whatever way you felt best. Now that would be something to feel good about! To feel even better, how about keeping a family budget or at least tracking your expenses. I dare say that most of us who have never carefully tracked our finances, would find that we are really wasting a tremendous amount of money. My wife and I started keeping track of everything that we spent a couple of years ago. Sure, we missed a few little things, but we really tried to get everything (this is made easy with Intuit's Quicken or Microsoft's Money software). The results where shocking. I honestly could not believe how much we were spending! Just by being aware of where our money was going, I think that we were able to cut our spending by roughly 20%. If you are looking for a place to find some money for charity, that might be a great place to start-and almost completely painless!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Baggage allowances are VERY low,.......

especially if you fly charter! Our allowance is 20 kilos or 44 lbs. So we work it like this....1 bag 44 lbs for us......1 bag 44 lbs for charity. We've also discovered that most charters also allow 1 sports bag that either is not weighed or has a weight allowance of 30 kilos, or roughly 66 lbs. (golf clubs are heavy!!!). So we now bring a "golf" or sports bag each (scuba gear, etc.) but of course if they ever check the bag it actually contains medical supplies for our local "free" clinic, clothes and school supplies.
With a handicap of a bad back it can sometimes be a rough trip for me but it's worth every pain when I see the good it does for those in need. It really doesn't take much to make life just a little bit better for those who truly need a hand......

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Thanks Pib. My brother has generously helped me and we haven't been able to connect all week to post more pertinent info. You can certainly add a link! Thanks for wanting to share the vision!

D

Dubld

MaineGirl-I have a friend here in Toronto that works with the deaf, and has many many connections and information. I will check with him regarding organizations that might be of assistance. I know he once went to Haiti on a mission so to speak in order to help some deaf people there.

there are so many organizations here in Toronto that help the deaf community (I used to do fund raising for one) and I think there must be extra somewhere to assist those that just cannot get the help that is available here, such as cochlear implants that allow deaf kids to actually hear and learn to speak, learning to sign, etc.

I will let you know.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Thank you so much for your interest! Please do let me know of any organizations that may be able to help Damalbi.
Right now her first expense is here in the states, a doctor in Georgia is giving her hearing aids and molds at cost and will be delivering them to her in November. That will cost $260.
If anyone is interested in contacting me to help with this, you can PM me or go to www.projectdamalbi.org.
Thanks...

-Mainegirl