Artist Cascati Arrested

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It will really be a great destination when all the tourist joints are owned and run by Dominicans. Non-flushing toilets, leatherette seats torn, staffed with primos and chopettes who are always on the phone . . .

I see no evidence the government is targeting foreign business owners--other than those in the sex trade.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Recent "Operativo"

I see no evidence the government is targeting foreign business owners--other than those in the sex trade.

You should talk to business owners in Las Terrenas.....

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Back to the good ol' times

It will really be a great destination when all the tourist joints are owned and run by Dominicans. Non-flushing toilets, leatherette seats torn, staffed with primos and chopettes who are always on the phone . . .

Not mentioning the awesome food.... :rolleyes:
If the foreign owned restaurants, bars and caf?s close down in Las Terrenas, the town will become a quaint fishing village again.... :bunny:

donP

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Anybody investing this type of money Armando did is a fool for not becoming a Citizen. Not like it is very hard to do here.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Arbitrariness

Are those businesses completely legal and in good standing? For example?

I'd say at least as their Dominican competitors.;)

I have talked to some whose businesses were recently closed by DGII (between 30 and 40, almost all owned by 'gringos').
Most felt it was an act of pure arbitrariness against gringo owned businesses.
Some had to pay a fine to get their business re-opened the next day.... the fine could be 'negotiated'...
Others were fined for tax debts of the former business owners.
Others had their income and thus taxes simply 'estimated'....

I welcome just and reasonable taxation if it is done across-the-board.
But this will never happen in this country.

And I am not only talking about gringo businesses...... ;)
http://dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/24137-plaza-lama.html

donP

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Justice Needed

Anybody investing this type of money Armando did is a fool for not becoming a Citizen.

They would just revoke a citizenship as easily as a residency.
They do not wait for your lawyers before they put you on a plane.... :cross-eye

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'd say at least as their Dominican competitors.;)

I have talked to some whose businesses were recently closed by DGII (between 30 and 40, almost all owned by 'gringos').
Most felt it was an act of pure arbitrariness against gringo owned businesses.

Could be.

Some had to pay a fine to get their business re-opened the next day.... the fine could be 'negotiated'...
Others were fined for tax debts of the former business owners.
Others had their income and thus taxes simply 'estimated'....

donP

Partly a lack of due diligence on their part. Do they have accountants and proper book keeping?

And I always say, if you must have a business here in the DR to survive, don't come here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They would just revoke a citizenship as easily as a residency.
They do not wait for your lawyers before they put you on a plane.... :cross-eye

donP

Not as easy as you think. There is no way to revoke citizenship. They can deport him if there is an Extradition request. But they would have to go to the Supreme Court to get it done. Takes time, a lot of time. Not just put him on a plane and Adios.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Do not run a business here!

Partly a lack of due diligence on their part. Do they have accountants and proper book keeping?

I was told that the DGII personell were not interested in any documents the owners were showing them.
Some say they were informed later that the closure was a 'mistake'.... :rolleyes:

And I always say, if you must have a business here in the DR to survive, don't come here.

Correct.

donP

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The one thing all of these gringos have in common is, it appears at some point each and everyone of them forgot they
were guest in this country, nothing more, nothing less.

The reality is unlike a lot of simple minded gringos who think that because they associate with prostitutes and drug dealers they assume all Dominicans lack morals (deport w/o reason) Dominicans understand that there are good and bad gringos.

Also, a "good" gringo is considered someone who has come to the country and adapted to the customs and social protocols and often times is looked up to even more than locals. However, the bad gringo exemplifies everything bad about foreigners in general.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The reality is unlike a lot of simple minded gringos who think that because they associate with prostitutes and drug dealers they assume all Dominicans lack morals (deport w/o reason) Dominicans understand that there are good and bad gringos.

Also, a "good" gringo is considered someone who has come to the country and adapted to the customs and social protocols and often times is looked up to even more than locals. However, the bad gringo exemplifies everything bad about foreigners in general.
A lot of truth ^^^there^^^....

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
holy cow....how long has this guy been in d.r.? about 6-7 years ago about 50 (ladies) left d.r. for many different destinations at just about once...spain,italy, iran,iraq, columbia etc all countries where all you need is a destination and $ and passport...it was said that these ladies were the tops of their trade....he was an artist of some sort....

If a person REALLY wants to know the truth.....
They have to be WILLING to look below the surface.
Often JUST below the surface.
Many times a legitimate business is a front for what is really going on.
I once knew a guy who was Dominican on his mother's side...
Dad was European.
He was a big shot businessman, running a legitimate business.
He also allegedly got involved with "running" the ladies.
It was apparently a pretty good business if you had the right people in your pocket.....He did.
Shocking and despicable.
I sometimes wonder..
When the women are finally in charge of things........
Will they be better?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CHIP, Yes there are a group of such simple minded gringos. But the social norms also here include a heavy usage of Cabanas, a large number of unwed mothers with children who will never know their fathers, extortion of gringos by the police, and non-preferential treatment of no Dominican business owners. Don't try to polish a turd.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
CHIP, Yes there are a group of such simple minded gringos. But the social norms also here include a heavy usage of Cabanas, a large number of unwed mothers with children who will never know their fathers, extortion of gringos by the police, and non-preferential treatment of no Dominican business owners. Don't try to polish a turd.

The Hasty Generalization is that where a minority of events (such as immoral Dominicans) are projected as representative as the whole. The same would be to assume all gringos are "degenerados" because of the way many act in Sosua and Boca Chica. (Actually based on percentages that may not be far from the truth.)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You need to mingle with a better class of Dominicans.

No culture is a single thing.

But there is, in fact, a large middle to upper class of Dominicans who are sickened by what the miscreants within their own culture portray to outsiders.

The North Coast tourist/expat areas are hardly indicative of the Dominican culture as a whole.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You need to mingle with a better class of Dominicans.

No culture is a single thing.

But there is, in fact, a large middle to upper class of Dominicans who are sickened by what the miscreants within their own culture portray to outsiders.

The North Coast tourist/expat areas are hardly indicative of the Dominican culture as a whole.

I don't "need" anything out of this. I am pointing out what I see, not whom I associate with.

You mean the middle class and above? A small group in the DR in any event.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I don't "need" anything out of this. I am pointing out what I see, not whom I associate with.

You mean the middle class and above? A small group in the DR in any event.
It would be like me visiting Brownsville and then passing judgement on all Americans based on my experiences there.

Yes, there is a growing middle class in the DR and many fine people within it. I "see" it every day. I deal with these people in business every day.

You need to "see" more than the North Coast. It's out there.