asqueroso

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Has your family given you an example of when you used it and they felt that it was wrong or offensive?

according to them it's not a word that should ever be used in public, full stop. when i gave an example of "crimen asqueroso" miesposo dismissed it completely saying another adjective has to be used.
i pressed the subject in terms of an insult as well and he claims that calling someone "asqueroso" is exactly as bad as calling them HDP.

maybe he's influenced by his mother, who refused any further conversation on the subject saying that "she was not brought up to use such vocabulary".

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
according to them it's not a word that should ever be used in public, full stop. when i gave an example of "crimen asqueroso" miesposo dismissed it completely saying another adjective has to be used.
i pressed the subject in terms of an insult as well and he claims that calling someone "asqueroso" is exactly as bad as calling them HDP.

maybe he's influenced by his mother, who refused any further conversation on the subject saying that "she was not brought up to use such vocabulary".

I think they have a point and you will manage the situation the way you best see fit.

You may have done this already but as a suggestion research on the web crimen asqueroso and look at all the articles that come up in newspapers. Read a few and see if you identify with the usage vs selecting another adjective as your esposo suggests.

Otherwise, no tengo más que decir... regarding the usage of the word in general.    

-MP.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I didn't know this word, so I asked Mr. AE.

His answer was it's not a good word, that he doesn't think he's ever used it, and he agrees with dv8's husband and family.....find a different word.

I wasn't satisfied, so I asked him if this is a word that the poor Dominicans/campesinos where we live in DR might use, and he said he thinks not even they would use it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Even though asqueroso is the correct translation of "disgusting" it's a stronger word. In Spain though it's more common to exclaim "que asco/asqueroso" than it is in the DR. I've also found this with estúpido which is considered much more insulting than its English equivalent. People here tend to say bruto which at first I found confusing as in Iberian Spanish it's closer to its English cognate meaning rough or uncouth.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have noticed the same about "bruto" too. most people here in situations where you point them the obvious or explain something that turns out to be rather simple exclaim "que bruto soy".

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Most people ...well I suppose you have evidence for that .I know no none who would say that .. bruto y burro are not the same .You can always say estupido about yourself. But it is rather uncouth or bruto to sat it to another person. As others have mentioned correctly ,asqueroso/a is an adjective that should be used only in the very few occasions when it is appropriate. to use it inappropriately reflects poorly on the person saying it .

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
If you consider that coño is not an ill mannered word to use in public then I suppose you would asqueroso without qualms .Both are quite unneeded in general conversation. I have heard a tennis chair umpire give an infringement for using both words audibly on the court.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I remember when I didn’t speak any Spanish and wanted to say ‘butt’ which I had looked up to be ‘culo’. My wife (then gf) told me to not use that word for being vulgar. As far as I understood it is a rather normal word in Spain.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Culo is no problem among spaniards. Another word that has a strange connotation among dominicans is bolsa. You never hear it in the sense of bag, always funda.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Culo most certainly is not polite ,,Bolsa is a very common and word and can be used many ways including stock exchange, but definitely not for a handbag ..here those with manners use bolso ,definitely not funda .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I hear bolsa used a lot in DR when referring to something like a small duffle bag, an overnight bag when visiting. And for a bag to carry things, like from a store, funda - but sometimes bolsa too. Cartera for handbag.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
I could say most of the canals in Cabrera are asqueroso. The are filled with garbage, litter and even discarded generators and equipment.

Why wouldnt the city clean them out and post signs not to litter?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I could say most of the canals in Cabrera are asqueroso. The are filled with garbage, litter and even discarded generators and equipment.

Why wouldnt the city clean them out and post signs not to litter?

No offense, but excuse me for chuckling at the sign comment.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I hear bolsa used a lot in DR when referring to something like a small duffle bag, an overnight bag when visiting. And for a bag to carry things, like from a store, funda - but sometimes bolsa too. Cartera for handbag.

You must live in a totally uneducated area or it is full of gringos to hear those things .Cartera is never a handbag unless it is a large wallet, fundas are in shops and overnight bags are maletitas. There is no confusion on these words

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You must live in a totally uneducated area or it is full of gringos to hear those things .Cartera is never a handbag unless it is a large wallet, fundas are in shops and overnight bags are maletitas. There is no confusion on these words

Actually, no, I only know a handful of gringos in DR and none of them live even remotely close by, and I'm talking about Dominicans in Santo Domingo, National District.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
For the man cartera is his wallet. For the woman cartera is her handbag. I never heard a Dominican use the word maletita, sounds more mexican. The holdall is a bulto.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My handbag is now and always has been referred to as a cartera along with every other Dominican I know. Maybe there are regional differences - just like in the US where my friend from South Carolina calls her handbag a pocket book!

Matilda