Average salaries in DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominican wages are actually quite normal for the region.

Average monthly wages in El Salvador are a little over US$230, in Honduras US$130, in Guatemala a little over US$220, in Nicaragua (which is among the poorest Spanish-speaking countries in the Americas and the poorest (excepting Haiti) in the Western Hemisphere) is only US$79.

In Cuba it's even more interesting with average wages hovering the US$15 mark. No wonder Cubans are no longer using the DR primarily to immigrate to Puerto Rico/US, but now Santo Domingo itself is a major destination for them.

God knows what the monthly wages were in Haiti before the earthquake, but it certainly was less than Nicaragua's; in fact don't be surprised if its very low in the single digits (US$2, perhaps US$3).

What people here need to understand is that wages in the developing world are, relatively speaking, quite normal. The abnormal wages are actually in the 20 or so wealthy countries with stringent immigration controls, and this is due to a relative scarcity of labor within those countries.

Don't be shocked of the wage levels in the DR; on the contrary, be shocked of the wage levels in the United States!

One important point to be made is that these are nominal figures, a better way of measuring this is by taking the purchasing power into account, since US$10,000 will buy less in the United States than in the Dominican Republic, hence a person earning that in the DR can live better than a person in the US with the same income.

Last edited:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I know some of the girls with PHD's that make $ U.S. 500 per week or 2k per month U.S.

Unfortunately when I asked to see the PHD they responded "I am wearing it"

Phat Hot Dress = PHD

Reactions: Tamborista

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Nothing? So is your quote coming from some one who lives in NY and visits on occasion the island...

I am with Bronxboy, I also have a bachelor degree so sorry shawn...I will never meet your standards you so clearly describe here with a lot of blabla around it but it will cost me not a night of sleep :bunny:

Good luck however!

A bachelor's degree is great! But again you are missing the point. I'm not comparing my level of education to other's. I just feel that I would probably have more in common with someone with a similar level. A bachelor's degree required four years of hard work right? I know what that is like.

Education is important but I understand it doesn't completely define someone. If someone owns their own business or has some sort of respectable career without a college degree etc that really takes perseverance and self belief. I do "set standards" for people I want to hang around as do you and everyone else. I never said if someone has a bachelor's degree they aren't "worthy" of my attention. Please don't miscontrue what I'm saying. I can't believe I have to even explain my position on that.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
What people here need to understand is that wages in the developing world are, relatively speaking, quite normal. The abnormal wages are actually in the 20 or so wealthy countries with stringent immigration controls, and this is due to a relative scarcity of labor within those countries.

Don't be shocked of the wage levels in the DR; on the contrary, be shocked of the wage levels in the United States!

One important point to be made is that these are nominal figures, a better way of measuring this is by taking the purchasing power into account, since US$10,000 will buy less in the United States than in the Dominican Republic, hence a person earning that in the DR can live better than a person in the US with the same income.[/QUOTE

But NALS having been there twice I felt that prices for food, drinks etc were on par with the US. That is why I was questioning how someone could live off of $18,000 pesos a month. Unless of course restaurants are primarily for tourists... but if that's the case what do they do in the off season?

shak4u

Jun 28, 2010
Dominican Salary

18,000 pesos a month? Isn't that $500.00 dollars? I'm going to start a new thread about this but what is an average dominican salary? Forget about being single- how can a family survive on $500.00 a month? I see ad's for apartments on this site, I feel that rent costs in the DR are maybe a little bit cheaper than the US. How much do dominicans pay in rent? Someone please respond!
Shawn, as I mentioned in another forum, my wife and I moved here 8 months ago after much planning (3 Years) and visiting for a total of 6. We knew that because of severe health reasons and heavy taxes and me being unable to provide any extra income and only able to survive on my SS until my wife can, hopefully, receive hers' in 2.5 years, that there was no way we could exist and enjoy our life style that we were accustomed to in the US. We came here knowing that my SS would be our only income plus drawing from a little savings each month until my wife retires. We were able to build a small home, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, LR, DR and galley kitchen for 75,000. We have given up all the stuff we were used to,but actually find life much more fun and interesting. Since my health has improved tremendously, we walk the mountain behind our home or walk the beach for an hour every day. We love the people here, we love where we live, we do live on a budget, have many Dominican friends that do live on $500 a month or less, but will do anything to help us whenever a problem arises. Some of our Dominican neighbors live in homes on our street that are 3 times the size of ours, but we are truly happy for them and they too are our friends. We go out to dinner 2 times a week, and when you treat the Dominicans with respect and they know you really do care about them, yes, you can eat cheaper at some places and buy many things at much less than "Gringo" prices. We feel like we live in paradise and would not change a thing.

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
@ Shawn, well sir I see that you've been involved in a heavy discussion. I'm very interested to learn about your future plans. As you and I have discussed privately, we both have a passion to learn more about the island. Keep me abreast of your plans to move (one day). Pay no attention to the naysayers. That said, 20 days until I arrive. AY!

shawn27

May 24, 2010
@ Shawn, well sir I see that you've been involved in a heavy discussion. I'm very interested to learn about your future plans. As you and I have discussed privately, we both have a passion to learn more about the island. Keep me abreast of your plans to move (one day). Pay no attention to the naysayers. That said, 20 days until I arrive. AY!

Yeah there were some haters. Why didn't you wait until labor day weekend? That's when I'll be there!

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Shawn, as I mentioned in another forum, my wife and I moved here 8 months ago after much planning (3 Years) and visiting for a total of 6. We knew that because of severe health reasons and heavy taxes and me being unable to provide any extra income and only able to survive on my SS until my wife can, hopefully, receive hers' in 2.5 years, that there was no way we could exist and enjoy our life style that we were accustomed to in the US. We came here knowing that my SS would be our only income plus drawing from a little savings each month until my wife retires. We were able to build a small home, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, LR, DR and galley kitchen for 75,000. We have given up all the stuff we were used to,but actually find life much more fun and interesting. Since my health has improved tremendously, we walk the mountain behind our home or walk the beach for an hour every day. We love the people here, we love where we live, we do live on a budget, have many Dominican friends that do live on $500 a month or less, but will do anything to help us whenever a problem arises. Some of our Dominican neighbors live in homes on our street that are 3 times the size of ours, but we are truly happy for them and they too are our friends. We go out to dinner 2 times a week, and when you treat the Dominicans with respect and they know you really do care about them, yes, you can eat cheaper at some places and buy many things at much less than "Gringo" prices. We feel like we live in paradise and would not change a thing.

So there are gringo prices even at restaurants.. That's what I suspected. At any rate I appreciate the post, NALS help put it more into perspective about the wages in DR, especially compared to other latin american countries. I now understand how one can live off of $500 a month.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Lack of sleep ? too many puppies ?

Nothing? So is your quote coming from some one who lives in NY and visits on occasion the island...

I am with Bronxboy, I also have a bachelor degree so sorry shawn...I will never meet your standards you so clearly describe here with a lot of blabla around it but it will cost me not a night of sleep :bunny:

Good luck however!

And your point is ? As usual, none...

I do have a bachelor degree too and I didn't get offended by Shawn posts, nor did I perceive them as elitist. The kid is just trying to learn.

Sooo, If I had a question about Belgian Shepard (or relocating to Belgium, lol) , I would ask you or log on to a dog forum if they exist. What is so hard to understand ?:bored:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I do have a bachelor degree too and I didn't get offended by Shawn posts, nor did I perceive them as elitist. The kid is just trying to learn.

Sooo, If I had a question about Belgian Shepard (or relocating to Belgium, lol) , I would ask you or log on to a dog forum if they exist. What is so hard to understand ?:bored:

Is this $hit neccessary?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
A bachelor's degree is great! But again you are missing the point. I'm not comparing my level of education to other's. I just feel that I would probably have more in common with someone with a similar level. A bachelor's degree required four years of hard work right? I know what that is like.

Education is important but I understand it doesn't completely define someone. If someone owns their own business or has some sort of respectable career without a college degree etc that really takes perseverance and self belief. I do "set standards" for people I want to hang around as do you and everyone else. I never said if someone has a bachelor's degree they aren't "worthy" of my attention. Please don't miscontrue what I'm saying. I can't believe I have to even explain my position on that.

Oh please, I don't ever set standards on people certainly not on a board and in 99% of the cases not in real life also, as so don't many other people.
Why? Because I will not be pushed in yours or someone elses little box and placed somewhere where you think I fit. Find another victim to try that on will you?

What you thread is concerned, you turn in every direction you can turn. You want a descent job here with a comparable salary to go with was you first. You've got the reaction of people that that is not possible in the DR unless you have strong connections. Then you turned to maybe taking up a job in a call center. Then you told us that maybe you want to marry a girl from here but not the ones you encountered in your previous visits, they don't match your...what? social standards?

You are 27 years old with a Masters degree (in what exactly?). Maybe you should turn your head towards Europe first, find a good job there that pay's well depending on the Industry your Masters is valid, save money and then think of coming to the DR after spending some more longterm periods during holiday's here.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

My point is very clear Africaida, you live in NY and visit LT on holiday's. I can be wrong, I have never met you in real life but for me you sound in quotes I have read from you as some one who has a nice cosy life in NY with a good income and comes on holdiday's to the DR, excuse me, to Las Terrenas where they speak French and its pretty exclusive.

Nothing wrong with that but you don't live here really like some of the other posters including me.
Your "understanding" of the DR and/or Dominican people hasn't reach the tip of the ice berg yet despite you maybe have been here more frequently on visit then I live here now for a year.

Reactions: Tamborista

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Oh please, I don't ever set standards on people certainly not on a board and in 99% of the cases not in real life also, as so don't many other people.
Why? Because I will not be pushed in yours or someone elses little box and placed somewhere where you think I fit. Find another victim to try that on will you?

What you thread is concerned, you turn in every direction you can turn. You want a descent job here with a comparable salary to go with was you first. You've got the reaction of people that that is not possible in the DR unless you have strong connections. Then you turned to maybe taking up a job in a call center. Then you told us that maybe you want to marry a girl from here but not the ones you encountered in your previous visits, they don't match your...what? social standards?

You are 27 years old with a Masters degree (in what exactly?). Maybe you should turn your head towards Europe first, find a good job there that pay's well depending on the Industry your Masters is valid, save money and then think of coming to the DR after spending some more longterm periods during holiday's here.

I never mentioned working in a call center. If you read through all of my posts carefully I have a job in which I mainly work from home. I have a master's in clinical and behavioral psychology. I am a licensed behaviorist. It's complicated but I dianose mental and conduct disorders in children and adolescents, and on the behavioral side work with parents and children to develop better communication skills. That can cross over to DR as well as there are instances that several Dominicans hire US based companies to assess different behaviors of children.

That's pretty much in a nutshell, but I never talekd about working in a call center. I am not considering moving to DR looking for a job, I am tryingto take advantage of being able to work anywhere. And lastly, I'm not setting standards on anyone in this board, I'm referring to everyday life. Everyone has an opinion or impression of people, you don't just look at someone and not have an opinion. You come across as very abrasive, are you upset about something. My op was about avrage salaries of DR and many people have provided useful information. If you choose not to then kindly share your opinions elsewhere. Thanks.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
My point is very clear Africaida, you live in NY and visit LT on holiday's. I can be wrong, I have never met you in real life but for me you sound in quotes I have read from you as some one who has a nice cosy life in NY with a good income and comes on holdiday's to the DR, excuse me, to Las Terrenas where they speak French and its pretty exclusive.

Nothing wrong with that but you don't live here really like some of the other posters including me.
Your "understanding" of the DR and/or Dominican people hasn't reach the tip of the ice berg yet despite you maybe have been here more frequently on visit then I live here now for a year.

If you live in DR Acira THAT'S GREAT. Don't you realize that's why people come on this board, to learn from people like you? Why not share your experiences with other's as oppossed to attacking other people? If only you could look outside the box and see how defensive you sound in your posts. Now you are hating on Africaida.. We all seem to agree that DR is a fascinating place, lets focus on that.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My point is very clear Africaida, you live in NY and visit LT on holiday's.

You are right !!

I can be wrong, I have never met you in real life but for me you sound in quotes I have read from you as some one who has a nice cosy life in NY with a good income and comes on holdiday's to the DR, excuse me, to Las Terrenas where they speak French and its pretty exclusive.

You got that from my posts ? WOW, I am not the type talk about my income and how cozy my life is, you must be mistaking me from someone else.
LT exclusive ?? I probably spend in a month, what the average tourist spend on a 2 weeks AI vacations.To me LT is cheap vacation spot (paid 700 for a monthly rental in January and eat locally).Of course, airfares from NY to POP/SDQ are not what I call expensive. Don't you know that French are cheap? Taca?a is my middle name ;)

Please, re-read my posts on this thread. I did not give any advice to life in the DR, I am just encouraging the OP for wanting to try out something new. He is young why not ? I did it even younger age than him and I am glad I did.

I don't understand why some posters, including you, are lynching him for that...

I believe that seeing and traveling the word is one of the best education, as valuable as a master degree.

I Hope that the misunderstanding is cleared now.

Reactions: Acira

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Well, now I am bored and I am out.

The blabla is going on and on and nothing comes out of it.

Bye shawn, have a wonderful life whatever that maybe!

oh and btw...I think Africaida can make here own quotes on what I said about here you know? Is she already in a little box you made for here? :bunny:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Yeah there were some haters.

Stop stirring the pot.

Don't flatter yourself. I mentioned before that I am not hating and I wished you good luck.

That being said, AnnaC, can you clean up this thread and remove all the nonsense including mine?

This Shawn character is one stuck up bit*h!

Reactions: bigbird

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Sent from Shawn27
I'll be in New York Aug7th through the 9th. Please let me know when you're available so I can come beat your ass. What day is best? Sat? Sunday? Monday? You have medical insurance right? I bet you won't even respond to this post because you're a little bitch that hides on the internet.
Forward Message from Shawn the Bit*h!

hahahahahahahahah

You and what army! You cant even touch down on 170th Street!!

I will be the one wearing the Bachelor's Degree pin!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This guy is a joke. He thinks he is "the man" and look what he writes. I know it is a PM but I wanted to share.

This is not the first or last threat I receive.

DUDE, anytime any place. You wont last a second in my ghetto!!!!

AnnaC, sorry for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.