Baby's Crying Again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Potato_Salad said:
I do not think that A-Rod is a waste of time and money. A-Rod did say, "I played like a dog." after being eliminated in the 2005 ALDS. And he took "full" responsibility for the Yankees' loss. He was man enough to admit his mistake.

One reporter asked A-Rod if his uncle's death was the reason why he did not perform well in the playoffs. A-Rod's answer was "I will not use that as an excuse." "I will work harder and prepare for next season."

For example, Manny gets criticized a lot in the Boston media as well. Why? Because he is the highest paid player (in the Red Sox) and he is one of the best.

Manny will not report to Red Sox camp until March 1st. And the Boston media is already all over him.

Just my 2 cents. :)
I was admittedly suspicious of his mea culpa after the Yankees elimination. My hunch would be these lines were fed to him at some point and time. He doesn't have the character to come up with it himself (IMO) - my 2 sense.

As for Manny, he gets criticized - and deservedly so - because he's a knucklehead. He doesn't take the game as serious as a large portion of the fandom does, hence, they beat him endlessly for all his transgressions - of which there are many.

The Sox would love nothing more than to unload him, mainly because he's a huge financial strain. In addition, he's also a horrible role model for their up and coming players - which they have shifted their focus to.

As for his reporting late and the media; they have NOTHING else to talk about, so that's to be expected.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and stop reading the papers.

It's like trying to tell the time by watching the second hand on a clock.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
I was admittedly suspicious of his mea culpa after the Yankees elimination. My hunch would be these lines were fed to him at some point and time. He doesn't have the character to come up with it himself (IMO) - my 2 sense.

As for Manny, he gets criticized - and deservedly so - because he's a knucklehead. He doesn't take the game as serious as a large portion of the fandom does, hence, they beat him endlessly for all his transgressions - of which there are many.

The Sox would love nothing more than to unload him, mainly because he's a huge financial strain. In addition, he's also a horrible role model for their up and coming players - which they have shifted their focus to.

As for his reporting late and the media; they have NOTHING else to talk about, so that's to be expected.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and stop reading the papers.

It's like trying to tell the time by watching the second hand on a clock.

EXACTLY (your bolded statement)!!! :)

It's a media war out there. The media loves to pick on someone and make a story bigger than it really is.

I remember two years ago, the Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck relationship was in the news everyday. :tired:

Your right about Manny.

The Red Sox tried to trade him but couldn't. As a Red Sox fan, I still want Manny because we have no other choice. And Manny will still put up big numbers.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
3rd

Potato_Salad said:
A-Rod will be more relaxed in NY since it will be his second year in pinstripes.
This will be his 3rd year.

First year was the year he was almost a Sox, they won without him - can I get a "hell yeah!"

Last year was his second, when he was supposed to be more relaxed.

He should spend more time on the couch with his therapist and less in front of a microphone or a scribe.

I hope he has a monster year, it would make beating him all the more enjoyable. And if he finally wins something then good for him. Perhaps we'll finally see what a good guy he claims to be.

I'd bet on France's army first.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
26 Championships without him..

Potato_Salad said:
I have a question for you. "Do you think the Yankees can win without A-Rod?"
...yeah, I think they could pull it off.

Everything is on paper right now, but their pitching lineup would temper my boldness if I was a Yankees fan.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
This will be his 3rd year.

First year was the year he was almost a Sox, they won without him - can I get a "hell yeah!"

Last year was his second, when he was supposed to be more relaxed.

He should spend more time on the couch with his therapist and less in front of a microphone or a scribe.

I hope he has a monster year, it would make beating him all the more enjoyable. And if he finally wins something then good for him. Perhaps we'll finally see what a good guy he claims to be.

I'd bet on France's army first.

Oops my bad. ;)

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
The Yankees are my team.

I know A-Rod could be a better player . Of course he had to have played well once upon a time in order to command his salary.

What irks the crap out of me is the whining and excuses.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
...yeah, I think they could pull it off.

Everything is on paper right now, but their pitching lineup would temper my boldness if I was a Yankees fan.

The Yankees have a great hitting line-up. Damon (BOOO!!!! :angry: ), Jeter, Matsui, Sheffield, Cano, A-Rod, etc.

But their pitching is a question mark. Randy Johnson will be 125 years old this year lol, Mike Mussina is not like what he used to be, Pavano is still hurting, etc.

It will be interesting what type of trades the Yankees will pull off during the trading deadline (during mid-season).

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
A.J. said:
The Yankees are my team.

I know A-Rod could be a better player . Of course he had to have played well once upon a time in order to command his salary.

What irks the crap out of me is the whining and excuses.

Well, hopefully A-Rod will be more quiet and just play his game.

It looks like another great season for this Red Sox/Yankee rivalry. :classic:

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Cleef said:

if he didn't take game seriously then he would not put up those numbers he always has each year. True, he's not role model type but he's not paid to be a role model. He's paid to produce and last time i checked he does produce.
He does act childlish but he does play well.

as long as yankees have money, red sox don't have a chance to win world series w/o pedro, manny, damon, david ortiz (if he signs w/another team), captain varitek (after he retires).

THE GAME

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Huh?

THE GAME said:
if he didn't take game seriously then he would not put up those numbers he always has each year. True, he's not role model type but he's not paid to be a role model. He's paid to produce and last time i checked he does produce.
He does act childlish but he does play well.

as long as yankees have money, red sox don't have a chance to win world series w/o pedro, manny, damon, david ortiz (if he signs w/another team), captain varitek (after he retires).
THE GAME
He takes batting seriously, period, end of discussion.

If you think he takes the game seriously, you're fooling yourself - and yourself only.

When a company pays you millions upon millions of dollars per year, THEY have every right to tell you what you're paid to do. They aren't telling him he's a bad guy, but he's thoroughly unprofessional but for a few brief moments in the batter's box, the batting cage and perhaps the gym.

This isn't the Devil Rays, it's the Red Sox. When you put on that uniform - or pinstripes if that's easier for you to swallow - there is an expectation of respect for the name on the front of it and the names that have been on the back of it.

Manny couldn't tell you who is playing RF at any given moment, nevermind the legends that preceded him in LF. He doesn't give the game much respect and for that, he should be playing in KC or TB.

I can only assume your second statment is bait to fire me up. Your ignorance precedes any required response pointing it out on my part. If that's your "game" GAME, you've got none.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Boy they love to hate him.... manny ,manny what a joke

Larry said:
A Rod will have monster year and Yankees will sweep playoffs like they did in 1998.

----swamee Larry
It's funny he shows up on time for camp and takes the heat...... meanwhile Mr. Ramirez needs little time away from the heat.The big Stat boy with a stick in the Little League park to produce the numbers.... is little shy when it comes to media, but voicing his opinion amongst management or in the clubhouse.

MANNY... I want to be traded, I'll wear sunglasses and watch television, I'll bring the water bottle and put it in my back pocket after I was told the previous inning not to...... but I'M Manny Ram?rez.HE IS TRASH IN MY BOOK NOT ...MR A-ROD....THAT CAN PLAY THE WHOLE GAME AND TAKE HEAT.

On the other hand... you have the most talented ballplayer making the the most money for a ?. No doubt about it he had an advantage growing up.... but he made the most of it for his own self-preservation.

I've never really heard anyone on this board talk about Alex Rodr?guez in negative way .... till he went to the Yankees or decided to play for USA.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:

If you think he takes the game seriously, you're fooling yourself - and yourself only.

When a company pays you millions upon millions of dollars per year, THEY have every right to tell you what you're paid to do. They aren't telling him he's a bad guy, but he's thoroughly unprofessional but for a few brief moments in the batter's box, the batting cage and perhaps the gym.

This isn't the Devil Rays, it's the Red Sox. When you put on that uniform - or pinstripes if that's easier for you to swallow - there is an expectation of respect for the name on the front of it and the names that have been on the back of it.

Manny couldn't tell you who is playing RF at any given moment, nevermind the legends that preceded him in LF. He doesn't give the game much respect and for that, he should be playing in KC or TB.

I can only assume your second statment is bait to fire me up. Your ignorance precedes any required response pointing it out on my part. If that's your "game" GAME, you've got none.

As a Red Sox fan, I know that Manny can be a pain in the ass at times.

For example, sometimes he refuses to pitch hit in a key situation, sometimes he does not hussle and the opponent was able to stretch a single into a double.

But thank God he can produce. Home runs, RBI's, and a pretty good batting average.

The Red Sox tried to trade him to Baltimore and the Angels. But no deal fell through.

It will be interesting what will happen during the July trading deadline.

In the meantime, the Red Sox MUST sign Ortiz to a long-term deal.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
easygoin said:
I've never really heard anyone on this board talk about Alex Rodr?guez in negative way .... till he went to the Yankees or decided to play for USA.
He's not Dominican, so there really has never been a need to address it.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
easygoin said:
It's funny he shows up on time for camp and takes the heat...... meanwhile Mr. Ramirez needs little time away from the heat.The big Stat boy with a stick in the Little League park to produce the numbers.... is little shy when it comes to media, but voicing his opinion amongst management or in the clubhouse.

MANNY... I want to be traded, I'll wear sunglasses and watch television, I'll bring the water bottle and put it in my back pocket after I was told the previous inning not to...... but I'M Manny Ram?rez.HE IS TRASH IN MY BOOK NOT ...MR A-ROD....THAT CAN PLAY THE WHOLE GAME AND TAKE HEAT.

On the other hand... you have the most talented ballplayer making the the most money for a ?. No doubt about it he had an advantage growing up.... but he made the most of it for his own self-preservation.

I think A-Rod was thrown into the whole Red Sox vs. Yankees rivalry.

A-Rod was almost traded to the Red Sox but it did not go through. So where does he end up? He ends up at Boston's main arch rival, the New York Yankees.

So since that day, the media (not only in both NY and Boston but also nationwide) was all over A-Rod.

As for playing for USA, it was A-Rod's decision. He can play where ever he wants. And A-Rod is going to have 20 RBI's against my country (Korea) if they meet up. :chinese:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Now you know better.

easygoin said:
The big Stat boy with a stick in the Little League park to produce the numbers....
In the past 3 years he has one more HR at home than away. Less doubles, less hits.

next.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
In the past 3 years he has one more HR at home than away. Less doubles, less hits.

next.

Hey Cleef :)

Can you name which non-Yankee and current active player has the most home runs in Yankee Stadium?

I'll give you a hint........ ;)

oaxct0.jpg

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
You cannot be serious

Cleef said:

next.
You mean... after playing ping-pong at home or on the road.... he can't make a three bagger;) I really don't have to look it up but I'm sure Mr.A-ROD HAS..... in every ballpark he's played in.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Cleef said:

hey this is your opinion, this ain't the bible either. Manny gets paid to play baseball, not to be in his best behavior every minute. Players in KC/TB/Blue Jays/Arizona algo get paid millions. Only the evils are the ones that have that corporate strict rules; boston is not as strict as yankees. Yes, boston is not same as KC/TB but diff in boston/ny is the media and pressure of fans/org.

If manny's contract says that he's supposed to behave every min of the day
and he doesn't do that then the team should do something about it. Unless
you're manny's agent i'm sure you don't know this. Neither do i.

hey you can say whatever you want, gringuito; it's your opinion.... i don't take things seriously.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Ortiz says that Ramirez is out

FORT MYERS - David Ortiz has not spoken with Manny Ramirez since it was announced the Red Sox left fielder would report to camp a week behind the rest of the position players, but he’s confident his teammate will show up.

“He will,” Ortiz said. “He’s not going to walk away from $20 million.”
Ramirez is expected, however, to forgo participating in the World Baseball Classic for the Dominican Republic in order to remain with the Sox throughout the Grapefruit League schedule. Ortiz, who will play for the Dominican in the March 3-20 event, said he’s not bothered by that.
Not official, and perhaps a ruse to get more attention, or prove how seriously he takes getting in his 'time-off'.

Offense isn't likely to be a problem for the DR, but this isn't a good thing.

He never made a commitment to playing in the tourney.

My guess is that he'll report to camp earlier than stated, and then will ask to play for his country. Then, about late April he'll take a few days bereavement leave for the services of the uncle of his neighbor's gardener.

Come May, he'll need a few days off to get his "head straight", the back page of the Boston Herald's sports page will have - in big, bold print - "?QUE?" - Did Manny really just say that?

June: Francona declares it's just "Manny being Manny", Ortiz gives huge grin.

At the All-Star game it's revealed (in an upcoming issue of GQ) that Manny's extra week in February was to allow him to finish filming his own reality TV show called "Drinking Manny's Kool-Aid". Filming was cut short after 3 days for unspecified "creative differences" between the Manny and the Producer.

The first half of 06 will go something like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.