Baby's Crying Again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
THE GAME said:
hey this is your opinion, this ain't the bible either. Manny gets paid to play baseball, not to be in his best behavior every minute. Players in KC/TB/Blue Jays/Arizona algo get paid millions. Only the evils are the ones that have that corporate strict rules; boston is not as strict as yankees. Yes, boston is not same as KC/TB but diff in boston/ny is the media and pressure of fans/org.

If manny's contract says that he's supposed to behave every min of the day
and he doesn't do that then the team should do something about it. Unless
you're manny's agent i'm sure you don't know this. Neither do i.

hey you can say whatever you want, gringuito; it's your opinion.... i don't take things seriously.

I bolded your sentence because it is a very good point. :)

New York City and Boston are two baseball-crazy cities and two large media giants. So there is soooooooo much pressure for a player to perform and excel.

So as a Red Sox fan, I hope that the new Red Sox players such as Josh Beckett and Mark Loretta can adjust to the media and fan pressure.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
Not official, and perhaps a ruse to get more attention, or prove how seriously he takes getting in his 'time-off'.

Offense isn't likely to be a problem for the DR, but this isn't a good thing.

He never made a commitment to playing in the tourney.

My guess is that he'll report to camp earlier than stated, and then will ask to play for his country. Then, about late April he'll take a few days bereavement leave for the services of the uncle of his neighbor's gardener.

Come May, he'll need a few days off to get his "head straight", the back page of the Boston Herald's sports page will have - in big, bold print - "?QUE?" - Did Manny really just say that?

June: Francona declares it's just "Manny being Manny", Ortiz gives huge grin.

At the All-Star game it's revealed (in an upcoming issue of GQ) that Manny's extra week in February was to allow him to finish filming his own reality TV show called "Drinking Manny's Kool-Aid". Filming was cut short after 3 days for unspecified "creative differences" between the Manny and the Producer.

The first half of 06 will go something like that.

One thing we all know for sure is this--Manny wanted to be traded and so far he hasn't been.

As a Red Sox fan, I hope that Manny does not take out his frustration by being a "Choose a profanity word of your choice lol" in the clubhouse during the regular season.

Manny must understand that the Red Sox did try to trade him. Boston was willing to trade Manny to Baltimore for Tejada but it did not go through.

Boston then tried to trade Manny to the Angels but it did not go through.

Manny has to understand that Boston wants equal value for Manny.

We shall see.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
What not to do.

Potato_Salad said:
Manny has to understand that Boston wants equal value for Manny.
If you want to get traded, you go to the team and tell them, not the press. That's why they really don't take his requests seriously.

They want to trade him because of his financial drain, the other things only fan the flames.

An example of what to do is Edgar Renteria. He never complained about Boston and how hard it was on him. He played through it all, asked the team for a trade and they did that.

It's much easier to move a player if you can get even value for him. If your player is complaining in the press, other teams are going to use your apparent desperation (a player "demanding" a trade is trouble) to get the better of you. It's a business, you have to show up to work.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
If you want to get traded, you go to the team and tell them, not the press. That's why they really don't take his requests seriously.

They want to trade him because of his financial drain, the other things only fan the flames.

An example of what to do is Edgar Renteria. He never complained about Boston and how hard it was on him. He played through it all, asked the team for a trade and they did that.

It's much easier to move a player if you can get even value for him. If your player is complaining in the press, other teams are going to use your apparent desperation (a player "demanding" a trade is trouble) to get the better of you. It's a business, you have to show up to work.

Very good points. :)

Which is why Manny is still in a Red Sox uniform.

I wonder what will happen to David Wells. He did report to camp but has been very quiet.

As for Edgar Renteria. I wish him the best. I hope he does well in Atlanta.

I like the Red Sox picking up Coco Crisp. He's 6 years younger than Damon, has speed, and he can hit.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Potato_Salad said:
I have a question for you. "Do you think the Yankees can win without A-Rod?"

Not sure who you are asking this of...but here's my answer:

THEY DID IT FOR 20 SOME YEARS WITHOUT HIM...What makes you think they can't do it again???

As a matter of fact...they haven't done it SINCE he's been with them...

MQ

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Musicqueen said:
Not sure who you are asking this of...but here's my answer:

THEY DID IT FOR 20 SOME YEARS WITHOUT HIM...What makes you think they can't do it again???

As a matter of fact...they haven't done it SINCE he's been with them...

MQ

A-Rod has been with the Yankees for only 2 years.

And the Yankees have not won a World Series with Mike Mussina, Gary Sheffield, and Jason Giambi. Both Mussina and Giambi have been on the team longer than A-Rod.

If you want to criticize A-Rod for not winning a championship, then why not criticize the others as well?

And for your own information, the Yankees have not won a World Series with Don Mattingly either.

From 1980 until 1995, how many times did the Yankees win a World Series?

Go to google and find out. If you are too busy, then I have the answer for you. It's "0".

Lastly, when A-Rod was traded to the Yankees, he was willing to switch positions.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Let me help you here

Potato_Salad said:
I bolded your sentence because it is a very good point. :)

New York City and Boston are two baseball-crazy cities and two large media giants. So there is soooooooo much pressure for a player to perform and excel.

So as a Red Sox fan, I hope that the new Red Sox players such as Josh Beckett and Mark Loretta can adjust to the media and fan pressure.

Media coverage between Boston and New York is no comparison.... not even for one day, much less the whole year.

When you play for the Yankees you're drilled by 35 to 40 media every day.... not so in Boston.

There's been many a player's adapt in Boston no problem..... but are so overwhelmed by pressure from the media and expectations that cannot cut it in the big city. It's just a different animal.;)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Never heard that

easygoin said:
Media coverage between Boston and New York is no comparison.... not even for one day, much less the whole year.

When you play for the Yankees you're drilled by 35 to 40 media every day.... not so in Boston.

There's been many a player's adapt in Boston no problem..... but are so overwhelmed by pressure from the media and expectations that cannot cut it in the big city. It's just a different animal.;)
I've always heard they are on par with each other, with Boston's press tilting the needle on the retarded scale to the extreme. NY is obviously a bigger city with more papers, but Boston is "blessed" by representing 6 states, and every city has - or tries - to put a media member on site. That being said, 35-40 a day wouldn't be hard to believe.

Manny's never adapted, Edgar didn't, Jim Rice, Ted Williams - they all hated it. I don't see the distinct difference you do.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Easy now

Cleef said:
I've always heard they are on par with each other, with Boston's press tilting the needle on the retarded scale to the extreme. NY is obviously a bigger city with more papers, but Boston is "blessed" by representing 6 states, and every city has - or tries - to put a media member on site. That being said, 35-40 a day wouldn't be hard to believe.

Manny's never adapted, Edgar didn't, Jim Rice, Ted Williams - they all hated it. I don't see the distinct difference you do.

Who are they blessed with..... stud's that you mentioned.

Media can be pretty big.... when you don't have nothing to talk about in a small town. Just be thankful that you have Larry Bird..... to write biographies on. That should keep everyone busy in that Mecca of a sports town.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
easygoin said:

Yes New York has the largest media in the country. But cities such as Boston and L.A. also have a large media market that pressures the players to perform and excel.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:

Nomar is another good example.

This guy always had to eat in his hotel because of the crazy fans being all over him 24/7.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Again!!

Potato_Salad said:
A-Rod has been with the Yankees for only 2 years.

And the Yankees have not won a World Series with Mike Mussina, Gary Sheffield, and Jason Giambi. Both Mussina and Giambi have been on the team longer than A-Rod.

If you want to criticize A-Rod for not winning a championship, then why not criticize the others as well?

And for your own information, the Yankees have not won a World Series with Don Mattingly either.

From 1980 until 1995, how many times did the Yankees win a World Series?

Go to google and find out. If you are too busy, then I have the answer for you. It's "0".

Lastly, when A-Rod was traded to the Yankees, he was willing to switch positions.

A-Rod has been with the Yankees for 3 years...

And anyway...I was just answering you question which was
"Do you think the Yankees can win without A-Rod?"
and my answer was:

YES...I THINK THEY CAN WIN WITHOUT HIM...THEY HAVE DONE SO IN THE PAST, HAVEN'T THEY???

Cleef...you know more than this potato head...do you understand my answer, and am I right or wrong in my assumption that the Yankees can win WITHOUT Me-Rod??

MQ

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Musicqueen said:
A-Rod has been with the Yankees for 3 years...

And anyway...I was just answering you question which was and my answer was:

YES...I THINK THEY CAN WIN WITHOUT HIM...THEY HAVE DONE SO IN THE PAST, HAVEN'T THEY???

Cleef...you know more than this potato head...do you understand my answer, and am I right or wrong in my assumption that the Yankees can win WITHOUT Me-Rod??

MQ

A-Rod has not been with the Yankees for three years. 2006 "will" be his 3rd year. But he has "played" with the Yankees for only "two" years.

So if you take A-Rod out of the Yankees team, do you think they can win this year's World Series?!? I don't. I think they have a better chance with A-Rod on that team.

So if you wanted to replace A-Rod at 3rd base, who would it be? Wade Boggs?!? He is already retired so that is not an option.

Shall we bring back Game 7 hero, Aaron Boone?!? He is with the Indians so that is not an option.

From 1980 until 1995, the Yankees did not win a World Series. A-Rod was not on that team. So should we blame Don Mattingly, Dave Winfield, and Rickey Henderson for not winning a World Series during the 1980s?

In one of your previous posts, you blamed A-Rod for not winning a championship with the Yankees.

Then why not blame Jason Giambi or Mike Mussina? Giambi and Mussina have been on the Yankee team for a much longer period of time than A-Rod.

Also, baseball is a "team" sport. If you want to blame A-Rod, then you should also blame, Giambi, Randy Johnson, and the rest of the Yankee players.

For your own information, Mike Mussina is making $19 million with the Yankees. And the Texas Rangers are paying a portion of A-Rod's salary.

P.S. If I were you, I would seriously avoid the stupid name-calling. We are here to share each others' opinions. If you want to take cheap shots at me, then feel free and send a PM to me. I would be more than happy to reply to you.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Potato_Salad said:
A-Rod has not been with the Yankees for three years. 2006 "will" be his 3rd year. But he has "played" with the Yankees for only "two" years.

So if you take A-Rod out of the Yankees team, do you think they can win this year's World Series?!? I don't. I think they have a better chance with A-Rod on that team.

So if you wanted to replace A-Rod at 3rd base, who would it be? Wade Boggs?!? He is already retired so that is not an option.

Shall we bring back Game 7 hero, Aaron Boone?!? He is with the Indians so that is not an option.

From 1980 until 1995, the Yankees did not win a World Series. A-Rod was not on that team. So should we blame Don Mattingly, Dave Winfield, and Rickey Henderson for not winning a World Series during the 1980s?

In one of your previous posts, you blamed A-Rod for not winning a championship with the Yankees.

Then why not blame Jason Giambi or Mike Mussina? Giambi and Mussina have been on the Yankee team for a much longer period of time than A-Rod.

Also, baseball is a "team" sport. If you want to blame A-Rod, then you should also blame, Giambi, Randy Johnson, and the rest of the Yankee players.

For your own information, Mike Mussina is making $19 million with the Yankees. And the Texas Rangers are paying a portion of A-Rod's salary.

P.S. If I were you, I would seriously avoid the stupid name-calling. We are here to share each others' opinions. If you want to take cheap shots at me, then feel free and send a PM to me. I would be more than happy to reply to you.

Let me make a list:

1st) When did I blame A-Rod for not winning a championship with the Yankees??? Show me proof...

2nd) Why are YOU putting people at 3rd base if they are not an option???

3rd) I didn't mean it as a 'cheap shot'...don't tell me you've never heard that expression before...it's a kids toy...no offense meant...you are WAY too sensitive...

4th) I AM DONE WITH THIS TOPIC...HAVE WAY BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN WASTE TIME ON ME-ROD!!!

MQ

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Let me make a list:

1st) When did I blame A-Rod for not winning a championship with the Yankees??? Show me proof...

First of all, relax. This is not "60 minutes on CBS" or "Meet the Press" or "CNBC". This is just a baseball thread in DR1.com. I am here to have a good time with everyone. No one is right and no one is wrong. We are just here to share our opinions.

And for you to suddenly call me names is not a mature and professional way to discuss baseball or any other topic. You are the one who is losing one's temper. I just wanted your feedback to my questions. No pressure whatsoever.

Go back to your previous post a few pages back. And please relax.

2nd) Why are YOU putting people at 3rd base if they are not an option???

You said that the Yankees can win without A-Rod.
So if A-Rod was not on your team, who would you replace him with? Mike Tyson?!? Hollywood Hulk Hogan?!? Tom Hanks?!?

3rd) I didn't mean it as a 'cheap shot'...don't tell me you've never heard that expression before...it's a kids toy...no offense meant...you are WAY too sensitive...

I am not sensitive. I am just an Asian guy who loves baseball.

4th) I AM DONE WITH THIS TOPIC...HAVE WAY BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN WASTE TIME ON ME-ROD!!!

So you are saying that I am WAY too sensitive. Okay. But I think you are the one who is being a bit too sensitive.

And please do not leave. I love talking baseball with you and everyone else here in DR1.com :)

MQ

Status
Not open for further replies.