Banking- Wire Transfers

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
$200 a month vs $10 a month.

Yep, DR USD bank account is the way to go, especially if, as in your case, you avoid the fees on the sending end. Folks who run to ATM every time they need another 5K pesos just underestimate the amount of ass-rapage they are getting from horrible exchange and withdrawal fees.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I wire funds (under US$10,000) to Banco Popular accounts 8-10 times per year from a Bank of America account - to both peso and dollar accounts.
If requested in the morning, usually in Banco Popular accounts by afternoon. Requested in afternoon, usually in account next morning. Maybe 20% of the time it takes 24 hours.

Yesterday I wired funds to a new recipient at Banco Popular. Requested the wire at 3pm and was in the recipient's account by 11am this morning.
My cost is $30 to send the wire regardless of amount. My bank always tells me the Banco Popular fee is $15 to receive - though I've never bothered to confirm this.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Is it possible to do ACH transfers to a BHD USD account or a pay pal personal transfer to a BHD USD account?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Because not all these expats are from the US or do have a US checking account...

The "OP" is talking about a U.S. bank account.....

Yes, I've been told this before. What kind of money are we talking about. Is US$6-10k a month a possibility with the Cambio houses? I've been told they usually charge a 1% fee, which on a US$10k transfer is more than my bank charges.

I have done that and more before, but best to pre-establish the rules with them first.

Again, not everybody here is a US citizen or does have a US Bank account...

Again, the "OP" is talking a U.S. bank account.

The nice thing about living in Santiago, we have some very old and established Cambio houses here, the one I use is:

Agente de Cambio Taveras

El Sol 155, Santiago

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The "OP" is talking about a U.S. bank account.....

I have done that and more before, but best to pre-establish the rules with them first.

Again, the "OP" is talking a U.S. bank account.

The nice thing about living in Santiago, we have some very old and established Cambio houses here, the one I use is:

You right, talking about US account. Sorry...

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Establish an account with a GOOD Cambio house and just write them U.S. bank account checks as you need money. And if you need dollars, the fee for getting "DOLLARS" instead of pesos is very small.

What is the fee for getting dollars with a cambio? If it's more than 0.5%, it's definitely not worth it vs a bank wire. Another bank advantage: many branches, so if I need cash while in Punta Cana, I don't need to hoof it back to Santiago to get it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What is the fee for getting dollars with a cambio? If it's more than 0.5%, it's definitely not worth it vs a bank wire. Another bank advantage: many branches, so if I need cash while in Punta Cana, I don't need to hoof it back to Santiago to get it.

Dollars? Who uses dollars here? :bandit: lol

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Dollars? Who uses dollars here? :bandit: lol

I withdraw in dollars and then change to pesos as needed, 10K pesos at a time or so. Holding larger amounts of pesos is essentially a long peso trade - not a wise investment imho.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I ahve both peso and US$$ accounts, transfer over as needed

44.91 is the current Progreso rate for online transfers.

I count my gas in the calculations.....

I'm a bit like Karl Malden...........don't leave home.......

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
Thought there was a US bank that had no charges if withdrawn from Scotia bank. Open an account with that US bank and have your cheque deposited their.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Bank of America used to and may still allow FREE withdrawals from ScotiaBank????

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ah, I see (said the blind man)....
you are proof thgat BofA and Scotia have international relationships..........

and That Scotia RD is part of the global Bank of Nova Scotia corporate structure (as was asked earlier)

as always, your posts are informative, more so than some realize

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
you're a liar, cried the mute............

Moot point cried the boy, I am calling the OT authorities, where is Dorota when you need her?
I get a fairly competitive rate out of the ATH @ ScotiaBank, as they pay a commercial tasa, net of the 3% "bend over" charge. I'll get about 44/USD right now, which is not bad including all charges.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ah, I see (said the blind man)....

Ah, I see said the blind carpenter,
as he picked up his hammer and saw.

you're a liar, cried the mute............

Moot point cried the boy, I am calling the OT authorities, where is Dorota when you need her?

w2ey6t.jpg

:) :)