Banking- Wire Transfers

Tom Gato

Oct 1, 2013
Skrill account

Skrill supports bank worldwide not only from the US.

How and where does one retrieve the funds from a skrill account / transfer? I looked at their website
and all I could make of it was " if you have an e-mail addy you can send funds". I'm sure
I missed the " jest" of things.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
How and where does one retrieve the funds from a skrill account / transfer? I looked at their website
and all I could make of it was " if you have an e-mail addy you can send funds". I'm sure
I missed the " jest" of things.

Yes, usually BPD charges me 220 pesos for the money received from Skrill, does not matter the amount.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
BPD incoming wire fee US$6 into your dollar account, regardless of amount.

I have being using Banco Popular for years for incoming wires. They are quick, never had an issue.

Make friends with your account manager, life will be so much easier :)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
They (BPD) are slow and the fee is now 7 USD... They delay crediting incoming USD transfers to your account on purpose.

BHD is waay faster, better CS, everything.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Well, I am doing the Scotia bank thing. I emailed them, in English, and actually got a response.

We are glad to know that you want to open a deposit account with us! It's going to be a pleasure to help you. In order to open an account, you need to provide the following documents in one of our branches in the Dominican Republic:

For resident:
• Two (2) personal ids (C?dula, pasaporte o licencia de conducir)
• Two personal reference letters.

For non-resident:
• Two (2) personal ids (passport or driver's license)
• Bank reference letter
• A letter of reference from a Dominican professional
• Document entailment with the country (utility bill, rent contract)
• Minimum Opening

To open an Account in dollars with us, it is necessary to submit the following documents in one of our branches in the Dominican Republic:

If abroad:
• Certificate of non-resident or Passport
• Charter bank reference and trade
• Reference letter of a Dominican professional
• Document attachment to the country (service contract, invoice, residential lease contract)
• Minimum balance required to avoid opening and service charges US $ 500.00

Question for folks who have done this...

The bank reference letter. If I call my bank in the US, can I assume they will know what to do when I ask for a reference letter?

And, for the letter from a "Dominican Professional", any idea what that entails? And who qualifies as a professional?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A "Dominican Professional" is any Dominican that makes 100 US per week or more.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I asked BHD/Leon to send me details about how transfer money from US or European banks to my own account in BHD/Leon (peso or dollar). They send me a long list of details with:

1- Name of a bank in US or Europe + address
2- The US or European IBAN or SWIFT number
3- The BHD/Leon OWN account number in that bank (not mine)

Now they say after the above you have to give your details (customer) and your bank account number somehow.

But in all online transfer forms (or paper transfer forms) that I use there is no place to type in extra information, there is usually a small place as "Ref:", but that's not always available.

When I usually transfer money from a bank to someone, I put his personal account number in (3) above, so I am wondering how this works for DR banks. It seems BHD/Leon does not have it's own SWIFT or IBAN and it's not on the international banking system.

How do you guys do a transfer, filling up online forms, and where do you specify your own personal (local) BHD/Leon account number !?

(To make it easy, as an example, give me a dummy online form of Bank of America to BHD/Leon transfer - on the BoA online transfer form there is no place for any extra info !?)

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Well, I am doing the Scotia bank thing. I emailed them, in English, and actually got a response.

Question for folks who have done this...

The bank reference letter. If I call my bank in the US, can I assume they will know what to do when I ask for a reference letter?

And, for the letter from a "Dominican Professional", any idea what that entails? And who qualifies as a professional?
Banco Popular had similar requirements when I opened my account. The letter of reference from my bank simply stated that I had an account with them, and it was in good standing. I used my Real Estate agent as the other reference. I would imagine you could use your landlord, or rental agent.

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Banco Popular had similar requirements when I opened my account. The letter of reference from my bank simply stated that I had an account with them, and it was in good standing. I used my Real Estate agent as the other reference. I would imagine you could use your landlord, or rental agent.

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk

Okay, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a Dominican, just someone with a cedulla/residency?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
This may be a stupid questions, but does the bank reference letter need to be in espanol?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005

Not sure about your second link, but the first link is what they quoted me too. The problem is right there:

Wells Fargo

New York, N.Y.

ABA: 026005092

SWIFT: PNBPUS3NNYC

A Favor de:

ACC: 2000192003764

BNF: Banco BHD Le?n, S.A.

BCBHDOSDXXX

As you can see the first part is the details of Wells Fargo bank and the SWFT for them, but the second part (after "A favor de:") is the BHD/Leon account details - where does customer/personal account go !? No idea....

(I think this is best replied from someone who mentioned on this thread that has done this transfer before from BoA to BHD/Leon.)

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
After two years I am finally fed up with all the fees, and am opening a DR bank account. Even if I am leaving in a year, it'll still save me $200 a month.

Currently, I get paid via monthly wire transfer into my US bank account. We then use Xoom to transfer money to the DR. This is costing me precious dollars I could be spending on more rum.

I am going to be opening an account at Scotia Bank. Good? A dollar account, and a peso account.

I will then have my company wire my pay check directly to Scotia into my new account.

The reason I have not done this yet, is because I am scared. Right now, the transfer is credited to my account the same day every month without fail. I am afraid there will be a delay, and I'll be broke waiting for my transfer to clear in the DR banking system.

Should I be fearful? For those of you who have done bank to bank wire transfers (not WU, xoom, or paypal) how quickly is the money credited to your DR bank account? Is is consistent?

it is just amazing how some of you think that the DR is on the freaking moon or extra terrestrial land...your transfer takes one or two days to show upo and your local bank will charge you around 22 USD, the DR is juts 3rd world you know? is not afganistan

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Okay, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a Dominican, just someone with a cedulla/residency?

not even that in some banks, PASSPORT will suffice...be aware that any banking is subject to FACTCA, courtesy of your US goverment

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Why do you want to have a dominican bank account ?? What's the point ? What's wrong with keeping your US or Canadian bank account ??

Anyway, for me I don't see any advantages to do so... I have my Scotia bank account in Qu?bec and when I need money, I go to the ATM. What would I do different if I had a dominican bank acount ?? Ah yes, I would have to transfer from Scotia in Qu?bec to, lets say, Scotia in Cabarete, then go to the ATM... ???

and how do you get 100,000 pesos out of an ATM? you do 10 transfers of 10k? but there is a LIMIT of 20k per day on ATMs so that is not a practical solution therefore the reason why people get a DR account.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
it is just amazing how some of you think that the DR is on the freaking moon or extra terrestrial land...your transfer takes one or two days to show upo and your local bank will charge you around 22 USD, the DR is juts 3rd world you know? is not afganistan

My U.S. bank charges $45 USD for an international wire transfer now, unless you have something like $10,000 in your account - sleeping. This used to **** me off, but it is the most efficient way some times. Arrives at BP next day. No problem. It really is good to have an account in the DR if you spend much time here.

My perspective on the wire transfer fee changed after having Xoom screw me many times with their conversion rate to pesos - but I think the solution to that is to send dollars and have recipient pick up dollars - no conversion. One more step for recipient, but well worth it I think. This is for a different purpose, not to deposit to bank account.

Xoom says you can pay your bills in DR through them too. No chance in hell. And, they now apparently sell cell phone credit too lol.