belgian woman killed in costambar

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I may be wrong but maybe the Haitian, if he was the one who stabbed her would make some sense because Dominicans won't usually kill a foreigner to just rob 'em. I would think personally that it would cause too much trouble to kill a foreigner because the "heat" would be on my tuchas like spit on the pavement, lickety split. Dominicans still appreciate that foreigners are kinda "hands off" because you can always rob them easier cuz they are disoriented and less on guard since they are relaxing, drunk, high or in large groups which would help or hinder a potential domino crook/thief.
The Haitian especially if he was a newcomer, would not be aware/conscious (or maybe he is that much of moron/dumbass) of the fact that you don't kill a tourist.

LC

I like to think the same way. There is a lot of crack and cheap street level drugs throughout the island though. When you have crazed, poverty stricken addicts involved there is no logic.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Sadly always same m o ..girlfriend ..maid ..gardener.. But one thing I have to hand it here they police seem to get there guy!!!
Prosecution sucks though!!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
This murder hits home as she is the mother of a good friend. He also lives on Costambar. RIP and my condolences to the family.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I know the lady and I know Mike the owner that got stabbed- very well ,according to my friend that lives llives in the adjacent appt. they came in through the back window that was unlocked and stabbed her in the head, the dogs started barking and mike came out to check it out and that's when he entered the appt. and got into a scuffle with the guy with the knife and got stabbed himself ,he is now in centro medico. As usual their was the Mickey Mouse crime scene investigation, it took the police an hour and a half to get there, nothing was ropped off ,the blood and everything was cleaned up a while later destroying any other evidence such as fingerprints. I've seen it all before, they don't have a clue what their doing, my friend stayed in the appt. to keep an eye on the cops as they will steal anything they can.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
I do feel sorry for the woman and her family. However this apartment building was robbed many times I believe. They have no security at all. No wall, no fence, no bars. We all have to secure our homes ..

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I know the lady and I know Mike the owner that got stabbed- very well ,according to my friend that lives llives in the adjacent appt. they came in through the back window that was unlocked and stabbed her in the head, the dogs started barking and mike came out to check it out and that's when he entered the appt. and got into a scuffle with the guy with the knife and got stabbed himself ,he is now in centro medico. As usual their was the Mickey Mouse crime scene investigation, it took the police an hour and a half to get there, nothing was ropped off ,the blood and everything was cleaned up a while later destroying any other evidence such as fingerprints. I've seen it all before, they don't have a clue what their doing, my friend stayed in the appt. to keep an eye on the cops as they will steal anything they can.

In reference to your report, the above marked in red stands out to me.

Surely any apartment must have steel bars fitted to all the lower or remotely accessible levels even if there is very good security on the premises. Perhaps in secure fenced communities with excellent security less so.

Did the apartment have metal security grills and if not perhaps this is a reminder for all expats to look at their particular living circumstances again.

In Santo Domingo, even apartments in upscale areas with full security have metal security bars. In the campo it is a must for a gringo and my last house there had outer window and door metal grills and some inner ones too.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
10 million residents...50 million tourist a yr... 50 dead gringos a yr let say. .. Where are you going to be safer? It's sad terribly sad but true of world not only here..

There are many places in the world where one would be safer, but I agree that there are many, many more places more dangerous.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
when living among animals we must live behind bars. Its the reality here. What surprises me is when i rent apart/hotels or condos thru airbnb in Cabaret or Sosua. Most did not have bars.
They did however have the 110lb. 100 year friendly security guard with a WWW1 Shotgun. Does that actually work up there?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
when living among animals we must live behind bars.Its the reality here.

Its the reality here? No its not. I have lived in barrios all over the island. Not once has anyone
tried to break into my house. The problem is sometimes people move down to a third world
country like the DR before learning how to read. Confused? Sorry but I'm not going to be the
one to spell it out for you. :cheeky:

Mar 1, 2009
It was two Haitians and a Dominican that carried out this horrible thing. I don't think the westerners realize that killing a tourist will bring on the "po po", a lot quicker than slaying a Domino. I say "denle pa'bajo".
LC.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Anyone else learned maths at school as good as Dominican police and the press? Or they ate too much platanos and it really affected their brains?

Jimmy Pierre, 27 years old. Police counted 14 cases (some papers say 19) of crime of since 1986 through 2014. If he is 27 y.o. now anyone without calculator can tell me what year he was born? And how he committed crimes well before he was born?

Yes, we know, put all blame on Haitians!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Its the reality here? No its not. I have lived in barrios all over the island. Not once has anyone
tried to break into my house. The problem is sometimes people move down to a third world
country like the DR before learning how to read. Confused? Sorry but I'm not going to be the
one to spell it out for you. :cheeky:

Only thing confusing is your know it all comments. Look at all the bars on nice homes and apartments, its not for reasons of beautification, its protection

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
when living among animals we must live behind bars. Its the reality here. What surprises me is when i rent apart/hotels or condos thru airbnb in Cabaret or Sosua. Most did not have bars.
They did however have the 110lb. 100 year friendly security guard with a WWW1 Shotgun. Does that actually work up there?

The bars are there because you can't trust the police to protect yours....imho

me_canadian

Jun 29, 2016
The woman killed was Vick's mother, (Vick used to drive a yellow ford pickup and now drives a large Harley, he used to own Beakers bar) and the other person that was knifed was Belgium Mike he owns the apartment building Holland Park Apartments, just up from the Taxi stand on the same side, apparently the criminals lived in Costambar. I cannot say how important it is to keep your doors locked and gates locked at all times, security cameras would also help too, my deepest condolences Vick, and Mike & his wife.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The woman killed was Vick's mother, (Vick used to drive a yellow ford pickup and now drives a large Harley, he used to own Beakers bar) and the other person that was knifed was Belgium Mike he owns the apartment building Holland Park Apartments, just up from the Taxi stand on the same side, apparently the criminals lived in Costambar. I cannot say how important it is to keep your doors locked and gates locked at all times, security cameras would also help too, my deepest condolences Vick, and Mike & his wife.

geez...my condolences to Vic. i happened to know this lady for many years.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I am going to see mike sometime today ,If I learn anything new I will post it ,that's if it's ok with mike.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
One negative thing of the average expat is that he doesn't really interact with the locals nor learn the language or culture.
Everywhere I lived I always found out who the "tigueres" were and who their family is, within a couple of days I'd know my neighborhood and would have made contacts.
I must say that my neighbors where ever I lived always protected me, the local thieves would always visit them though ;)