Best 10 Merengues of all times !!!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I really enjoy these "old" merengues. They remind me so much of my up bringing. Specifically Alex Bueno, Sergio Vargas, Milly and Wilfrido Vargas.

Clampett One

Aug 3, 2006
Wow!!

Wow! thanks for all the replies to my thread. This is a hard top 10 list to put together. It is very hard to choose just 10, with so many great merengues and all. We are finalizing our list here at work. Some people feel that "Balsie", should not be part of the top 10. I think that the parameters are measured by how popular the song was and or is, as well as the durability of song in people's hearts. For example, you know when you hear Fernandito go traaaaaaigo la contraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...... its gonna bring back some memories. Like you will actually remember where you were during those times.

I haven't heard anyone agree or disagree that Volvio Juanita, is perhaps the most memorable merengue of all times. What do y'all think?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Just a few more comments-

Chichi Peralta's music is merengue in general but not all his albums or songs are this genre. I saw him in an interview on TV about year and half ago and he spoke so well and thoroughly about his love for his music, 'el merengue'. He classifies his merengue as 'merengue africano'. However, in a general sense his music is a fusion of tropical rhythms such as plena, cumbia, vallenato, Brazilian percussion etc. Amor narc?tico is not salsa, it's classified as tropical so is the hit song La ciguapa. His third album De vuelta al barrio is Dominican folklore. Therefore you have to really have a sharp ear and understanding of tropical rhythms to understand Chichi Peralta's style. In any event, he's a good Dominican artist. Truly unique, and no one else compares to him.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/70141-chichi-peralta-unique-dominican-artist.html

I also think that Bonny Cepeda is a good artist but I definitely would not say one of the best of all time. He for sure has gone unnoticed and over the years has produced some 'good' merengue. Trust me, I know because I have quite a few of his albums. It's great old fashioned merengue for the most part. One of my favorite songs by B. Cepeda is Algo le di yo from his album El mandamas. I don't remember where I found this original gem but I am glad I bought it because I am sure there's no original copy available for sale anywhere.

Anyway this thread is a refreshing reminder that merengue is still a pure Dominican genre and people still enjoy a special period in its history. No question about it contemporary merengue is very different rhythmically and the speed of some of them is just not my cup of tea. However, thanks to the legacy left behind by many of the artists mentioned in this thread merengue will continue on, transform and who knows a few upcoming bands will look back and say- 'this is the kind merengue we want to create' meaning a la Rubby P?rez, Los Hermanos Rosario, Fernandito Villalona, Los Toros Band etc. You know how the saying goes- 'Life is a circle'.

If anyone in this thread is an album collector here are few gems that I suggest which also have many great songs that have not been mentioned:

1/ Bomba 2000- Los Hermanos Rosario
2/ El cantante- Rubby P?rez
3/ Swing a domicilio- Los Hermanos Rosario
4/ S?lo merengue- Alex Bueno
5/ Con arena nueva- Rikarena
6/ Soy un hombre feliz- Fernando Villalona- ***** Highly recommended*****
7/ Atrevido- Eddy Herrera- good solid romantic merengue especially his version of 'T? eres ajena'.

Here are a few of the album covers:

2dwdjic.jpg
4rvnsh.jpg
r05rm0.jpg

-Marianopolita

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I agree that good music was made during the 80's and early 90's but boy is it difficult for me to put together a top 10!

Right now I'm digging (in no particular order):
Alex Bueno - Luc?a, Tengo miedo, El chofer and Me va, me va
Aramis Camilo - Vuelve, Si te vas (or Si me dejas hoy, can't remember the title)
Tony Seval - Ch?vere
Dionis Fern?ndez y El Equipo - Como t? no hay dos
Fausto Rey - El p?jaro herido
Grupo Tamb? - Ana?sa y Beli? (it seems to be a palo/Afro Cuban group from Ban??)
Jochy Hern?ndez - Por qu? hemos cambiado, Amor sincero
Jerry Legrand - Todo me gusta de t?
Carlos Manuel "El Zafiro" - Lamento (or Ay no s? qu? hacer), A nadie le importa.

Clampett One

Aug 3, 2006
Omega? no way

If the top ten list is going to be a respectable list, it would not include artists such as Omega. Sorry, but as much as I like Omega, I think I forgot his latest hit already. His music, much like him, won't last.

I think that after all of the input from everyone, I am ready to post the official DR1's top ten merengues of all times.
Anyone else has any other input.

Here we go,/......................

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Dang you guys are bringing up some good memories. There couldn't be a top ten from that time (too many good ones). Here are a few of my faves from my playlist.

- Alex Bueno - Colegiala
- Anibal Bravo - El Gatico
- Aramis Camilo - El Motor, Joselyn
- Bonny Cepeda - Asesina, Hay Doctor, Me tiene chivo
- Cheche Abreu - La Negra Pola
- Coco Band - Lots of them (El Boche, La Diabla, La Peliona, Los Pantalones, etc)
- Conjunto Quisqueya - La Juma (I and II), Que bueno esta este pais
- Cuco Valoy - El Brujo
- Dionis Fernandez - Oye Muchacha, Mina de amor
- El Gran Compres - Chepe (Definitely a top 10 IMO)
- Fernando VIllalona - Payaso, Marisela, Companera, Dominicano Soy, Feliz Cumbe, Carnabal, etc.
- Jerry Vargas - Cubanito, Ojos Mejicanos
- Johnny Ventura - Patacon Pisao, Surullo y Capullo
- La Gran manzana - Cuando Llegara, Mentirosa
- La Orquesta Joven - Te Buscare
- Milly - Volvio Juanita (of course)
- Nelson Cordero - Platano Maduro (Huge hit)
- Ramon Orlando - No Hay Nadie Mas, me mata la pena
- Richie Ricardo - La Negra se movia
- Sandy Reyes - Margarita, Un pie aqui y otro alla (one of my all time favorites)
- Sergio Vargas - Si un dia la vez, La Quiero a morir (Definitely a top 10)
- Tony Seval - El Muerto
- Los Rosarios - El Lapiz, Borron y cuenta nueva, Ya viene el lunes
- Wilfrido Vargas - Abusadora, El Jardinero (Huuuuge hit), Comejen, El Africano (sounds kind of racist now), El funcionario

Clampett One

Aug 3, 2006
I give up

So, I now come to the realization that there really is no way to put a list of only the top ten merengue songs of all times. It would be impossible to put a top 10 list together and not be able to include songs such as: "noches de fantasia" or "tabaco y ron" so, I give up trying to put such a short list together. I guess I would have to concentrate on a top 20 list. Once I have it together, I should be able to get it together and ready for all to download it.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Dang you guys are bringing up some good memories. There couldn't be a top ten from that time (too many good ones). Here are a few of my faves from my playlist.

- - Sergio Vargas - Si un dia la vez, La Quiero a morir (Definitely a top 10)

Fusilajes don't count :mad: " la quiero a morir" was written by some French guy, and " si un dia la ves", is from some Venezuelan guy, Ricardo Montaner I think. :tired:

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned "marola",by Sergio Vargas and written by Dominican Luis Diaz.

I'm just anti-fusilaje. I only count merengues that were written by Dominicans.

Last edited:

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
also merengues by foreigners from paper straight to merengue. Olga Tanon from Puerto Rico comes to mind, but I'm not sure if most of her songs are fusilajes. I don't think " muchacho malo" is one, it should be out there among the top 50.

B

BettyDiamond

are there many good female merengue artists- its seems to be a male dominated occupation

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
also merengues by foreigners from paper straight to merengue. Olga Tanon from Puerto Rico comes to mind, but I'm not sure if most of her songs are fusilajes. I don't think " muchacho malo" is one, it should be out there among the top 50.

You don't want to include fusilajes, but you want to include Olga Tanon's song in one of the top of all time? That song wouldn't make my top 1000...but that's just me.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
You don't want to include fusilajes, but you want to include Olga Tanon's song in one of the top of all time? That song wouldn't make my top 1000...but that's just me.

my bad what in meant to say is that muchacho malo seems not to be a fusilaje