Best neighborhoods to live in Santiago...

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
There are many great neighborhoods in Santiago. Rincon Largo below La Avenieda De Argentina is a very nice area. La Trinitaria above it is also nice. La Rinconada which is next to Roncon Largo is also nice. La Quintas De Rincon Largo is even better and is just behind PUCUMM. Los Jardines de Yaque is another nice area. Generally speaking, you don't want to buy anything near avenida Sadhala above the airport in chopo infested areas like Los Circuelitos, Tierra Alta, Las Colinas, Buenos Aires, El Brisol, etc, etc.

For middle class people, anything below Los Cerros De Gurabo and above La Duarte is pretty much a good bet as they are all Cerros De Gurabo on a smaller scale. There are plenty of nice established areas here as well as newers ones such as El Dorado, Kokette, Los Hidalgos, etc.

The best and most luxurious areas of Santiago are areas like Los Cerros De Gurabo, and newer areas such as Las Carmelitas and El Copal--which are on route to Licey. Many people know of Los Cerros but many don't know about Las Carmelitas and El Copal. Good. Should stay that way.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Se?or_Jimenez said:
There are many great neighborhoods in Santiago. Rincon Largo below La Avenieda De Argentina is a very nice area. La Trinitaria above it is also nice. La Rinconada which is next to Roncon Largo is also nice. La Quintas De Rincon Largo is even better and is just behind PUCUMM. Los Jardines de Yaque is another nice area. Generally speaking, you don't want to buy anything near avenida Sadhala above the airport in chopo infested areas like Los Circuelitos, Tierra Alta, Las Colinas, Buenos Aires, El Brisol, etc, etc.

For middle class people, anything below Los Cerros De Gurabo and above La Duarte is pretty much a good bet as they are all Cerros De Gurabo on a smaller scale. There are plenty of nice established areas here as well as newers ones such as El Dorado, Kokette, Los Hidalgos, etc.

The best and most luxurious areas of Santiago are areas like Los Cerros De Gurabo, and newer areas such as Las Carmelitas and El Copal--which are on route to Licey. Many people know of Los Cerros but many don't know about Las Carmelitas and El Copal. Good. Should stay that way.
I have a house in las colinas and can agree with you about the problem areas.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Hey,
I live in Cerro Alto. Cerro Alto is growing pretty fast. You should tale a look.
Monica

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
whats a block of land cost in these NICE areas (5-700metres sq) 20k, 30k ?????

Se?or_Jimenez said:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In some of these areas yu will be looking at RD$10,000 a square meter and up.

HB :D

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
billyidol said:
whats a block of land cost in these NICE areas (5-700metres sq) 20k, 30k ?????

Anywhere between $60-$150USD/ Sq. Meter. Of course you can bargain but that's what they'll try to get in exclusive neighborhoods.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I read in another forum today that there is an area in Santiago called Esmeralda where they are building apt. towers. Whrere is that place at and is it a good neighborhood? Just out of curiosity.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Generally speaking it is the area in back of the Hollywood 7 Movie theater.
Between the Ave Monumental and Juan Pablo Duarte. Actually a bit smaller than that but that is the general location.

HB

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I read in another forum today that there is an area in Santiago called Esmeralda where they are building apt. towers. Whrere is that place at and is it a good neighborhood? Just out of curiosity.

It's a nice place to live but is also too close to Ave. Estrella Sahdala. So you're bound to be in contact with "Chopos" now and then.

:pirate:

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Herrera

Hi

I have a question about this neighborhood. I didn't want to start a new thread. What is is like? Do middle class people live there? Gringo/as? Can somebody describe it to me?

Thanks

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
oops --sorry I thought that it said Santo Domingo-- but if somebody would like to answer me anyway!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Herrera is low to very low class, with very few middle class. It is essentially an industrial zone which has been absorbed by the city. Anyone living there is of the working class and struggling to make a go of it.

HB

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Another Question in wrong post

Hey Hillbilly

I have a question-- My sister's friend lives there-- a woman-- so I'm not concerned. Her friend said that her family owned 5 colmados. The "dwelling that she described sounded like a house. Patio and a terrace. Is that possible? or a mentira?

I'm going to be in Santo Domingo in 2 weeks. I was planning on checking it out. I have the address.

Now that you said what you said maybe she trying to make herself "sound less poor"

Thanks

sweisser

Jan 30, 2007
El Millon - Santo Domingo

What is this area like and what are the average costs of houses or apartments?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
El milli?n...

Pretty much upper middle class.

Houses are not cheap.

Look in the classifieds of the List?n Diario.

HB

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I am an American lawyer that just moved to La Esmeralda. I find the accommodations to be very nice, clean and safe. I love that fact that I am close to just about everything. I live in a gated apartment complex with armed guards. I think I got a great deal. I have a three bedroom three bathroom, three balcony, one dining room, and two living room apartment. Plenty of space for the bachelor that I am. I pay $500 US a month. It is not a bad setup until I find a location to buy a house. My next adventure is buying more furniture and a car.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I am an American lawyer that just moved to La Esmeralda. I find the accommodations to be very nice, clean and safe. I love that fact that I am close to just about everything. I live in a gated apartment complex with armed guards. I think I got a great deal. I have a three bedroom three bathroom, three balcony, one dining room, and two living room apartment. Plenty of space for the bachelor that I am. I pay $500 US a month. It is not a bad setup until I find a location to buy a house. My next adventure is buying more furniture and a car.

Damn that is a good deal you got and plenty of room to have some DR1 members hang there.