Best neighborhoods to live in Santiago...

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Thanks Hidalgo, there are still a lot of things I have to learn about living here. However, it helps that I look like a Dominican. At least until I start speeking spanish.lol

MaNgULinDa

Feb 6, 2007
Has anyone ever heard of Los Cajuiles? its such a cute little neighborhood, it only consists of 4 small streets believe it or not! and not more than 10 houses per street i grew up there and got to know all my neighbors like family. It is a upper middle/high class little place you should take the 60 second tour. has anyone heard of it please reply.

judyep

Feb 2, 2007
Best nieghborhoods to live in Santiago...any other places besides los cerros?
It all depends if you will like to live like the suburban type or nyc type I now live in villa del norte that's behind homs, that big hospital there're building in the autopista duarte its nice and quiet must have car though and the electricity here 24/7...good luck

C

Chip00

Los Llanos de Gurabo II

We live in Los Llanos de Gurabo II and we like it a lot. We are actually right on the outskirts of town. It is about a 10 to 15 min ride to go downtown depending on traffic and 10 min. or so to get to El Nacional supermercado.

We lived in Los Llanos I but I like this much better as it is a lot quieter. There are still quite a few empty lots out here for sale and a few homes too in the 5M+ range(3500 sf).

Also, the road coming into the subdivision is pretty good too.

Send me a pm if you want more info.

Platano Drifter

Feb 7, 2007
i lived in Los Girasoles for 1 year 5 years back and was a nice neighborhood i dont like the added apartments though alot more people and alot more traffic the only bad expirience i had was i was kidnapped and robbed but outher that that it was ok

Platano Drifter

Feb 7, 2007
Might you want to explain a little more about this incident?

were i lived my unkle did alot of construction and it was regular that guys would ask me to help em get materials for my uncle and one day some guy came up to me asked me to get some supplies and he took me a couple miles away from my house to this dump by a river and pulled a gun and stole my gold chain cause all i really had on me was my gold chain 6 pesos and a broken watch needles to say he was ****ed and left ****ed as were i was more ****ed i had to walk all the way back home a 12pm in the afternoon under the blistering sun wearing black jeans timberland boots and a button shirt with 1 undershirt pretty much sums it up

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Platano Drifter,
That experience is a pretty bad one in my book. I would not consider that to be a good neighborhood. Thanks for sharing.

Platano Drifter

Feb 7, 2007
well alot of people said i was askin for it because i was always wearing nice cloths and my jewlery around like its all good that day i just happend to only have my chain on and since most people arent my size the didnt steal my clothes thats right alot of people were gettin robbed at the time and being left in boxers but since im a size 42 waist 2x shirt and size 14 ahoe no one can really wear my clothes here LOL i just laugh about it know and take it as a learning expirience to be more cautious next time the only thing that really ****ed me off was that the police didnt belive me because i still had all my expensive clothes and not a scratch on me neddless to say i was ****ed about that

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Hope it never happens to you again Drifter. I really do not wear any of my expensive clothes unless I am specifically going to meet a close friend, conduct business, or on an "official" DR date(unlike the typical chica pickup scene). Most of the time, I just try to blend in and learn as much spanish as I can. I just don't need the drama; my job carries enough for me.

Valeria

Feb 20, 2007
I would like to know what you guys think of Villa Maria. It is a relatively new community located behind the hospital of the Duarte Autopista. My parents just bought a house there and I want to know if there is potential for this neighborhood. The houses are pretty nice. There's still a lot of construction going on and the roads are pretty bumpy (obviously due to the construction). There are beautiful homes though and my thoughts are that it might be a booming place within the next 5 years. Please let me know. Thanks.

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I would like to know what you guys think of Villa Maria. It is a relatively new community located behind the hospital of the Duarte Autopista. My parents just bought a house there and I want to know if there is potential for this neighborhood. The houses are pretty nice. There's still a lot of construction going on and the roads are pretty bumpy (obviously due to the construction). There are beautiful homes though and my thoughts are that it might be a booming place within the next 5 years. Please let me know. Thanks.

Besides the construction, how is the noise from traffic over there?

Valeria

Feb 20, 2007
very quiet, hardly any noise even with construction going on. No rift raft at all...just some Haitians helping with the construction and taking care of the houses. I noticed that many of those houses are owned by people that live in the U.S. Nobody seems to know about that neighborhood and I just want people's honest opinion.

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I will have to check it out. I'm renting now, but I am looking to buy mid to the end of this year.

multilang

Apr 28, 2005
I live in Villa Olga, Reparto Illusion just behind El Play. Very nice neighborhood unless you live to a neighboor who is fond of roosters...

For me a nice neighborhood is one where you don't have to live close to loud music and singing rooster. Not so easy to find :)

ada

Feb 2, 2005

We've had our house in Villa Maria for 5 years. It is nice and quiet, sometimes a little too quiet. I live far back into Villa Maria so it's a little lonely. Besides bumps I really like it. If you need any more specifics feel free to pm me.

ME01

Feb 19, 2012
This thread hasn't been updated in a while. Any new insights anyone can share specifically on what are considered the best neighborhoods in Santiago?? Going to Santiago to research areas and property in the next week for an August move and would really appreciate some input from fellow Santiagueros. :knockedou

There are many great neighborhoods in Santiago. Rincon Largo below La Avenieda De Argentina is a very nice area. La Trinitaria above it is also nice. La Rinconada which is next to Roncon Largo is also nice. La Quintas De Rincon Largo is even better and is just behind PUCUMM. Los Jardines de Yaque is another nice area. Generally speaking, you don't want to buy anything near avenida Sadhala above the airport in chopo infested areas like Los Circuelitos, Tierra Alta, Las Colinas, Buenos Aires, El Brisol, etc, etc.

For middle class people, anything below Los Cerros De Gurabo and above La Duarte is pretty much a good bet as they are all Cerros De Gurabo on a smaller scale. There are plenty of nice established areas here as well as newers ones such as El Dorado, Kokette, Los Hidalgos, etc.

The best and most luxurious areas of Santiago are areas like Los Cerros De Gurabo, and newer areas such as Las Carmelitas and El Copal--which are on route to Licey. Many people know of Los Cerros but many don't know about Las Carmelitas and El Copal. Good. Should stay that way.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This thread hasn't been updated in a while. Any new insights anyone can share specifically on what are considered the best neighborhoods in Santiago?? Going to Santiago to research areas and property in the next week for an August move and would really appreciate some input from fellow Santiagueros. :knockedou

The East side of town is the place to be and you have plenty of options. If you would like to build you could save 20% or more and have a house built to your specifications. Let me know if you'd like more info. I live in Los Llanos de Gurabo II.