Best Pizza In Sosua Is Found Where?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Why don't you guys put the price as well, besides saying "reasonable"? For me a reasonable large 3 topping pizza in DR should not be more than $5US.

And where did you come up with that figure?? I don't think Ive ever seen a large (usually called "familiar") pizza anywhere in this country for $5 with or without toppings...

Considering a large 3 topping pizza in the US costs around $15 (not talking about a Papa John's or Dominos's TV promotion), why would you think it would be one third the price here? In case you didn't know, that's not what THIRD WORLD COUNTRY means! :bunny:

Most places mentioned in this thread charge around 200-250 pesos for a regular-sized pizza with multiple toppings.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
simongs ....just to correct the name hehe me is spelling police today....no idea if its any good Ive never eaten pizza here, if you turn the corner after simongs to the right you can get pizza and juice for 35 pesos , again I have no idea of size,taste or anything else

Sylvia from NS

Feb 12, 2006
Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada
Avolon(sp?) is the best we have found in Sosua. Italian man and lady owner, in an apron looked like she should be on a bottle of olive oil! Down a side street(left) off Pedro Clisante walking from centre of town towards Club Residential. Really great. Oh La Veche was great also, but more expensive.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Avolon(sp?) is the best we have found in Sosua. Italian man and lady owner, in an apron looked like she should be on a bottle of olive oil! Down a side street(left) off Pedro Clisante walking from centre of town towards Club Residential. Really great. Oh La Veche was great also, but more expensive.

It's changed hands since but the 'Diablo' in Avalon used to be fantastic!

daniel san

Mar 16, 2009
I really enjoyed the Pizzas at Bologna and Rocky's with Bologna being my favorite but I sure will try all these other suggestions. Their is nothing like a good pie while you are away on vacation in a foreign country. Now, I wish someone could tell me who has the best late night Pizza in Sosua!

Sylvia from NS

Feb 12, 2006
Pizza - Sosua

How is the hygiene in these restaurants? Are they run by Dominicans or foreigners?

Not sure how to handle this situation regarding the hygiene subject. It has been bothering me for two years since I became aware of questionable hygiene practices at a restaurant in Sosua that gets frequent positive comments on this site. What is the policy? It is from a reliable source, who saw it first hand, so I am confident with what she saw enough to have NEVER eaten at this place. The restaurant is still owned by the same person. Don't want to make enemies, don't want to cause problems because I really enjoy DR1 and find it a very helpful site. What is the consensus?:ermm:

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Err on the side of caution, if you didn't see it with your own eyes don't make an accusation that could effect someones livelyhood, no matter how trusted the source. Just my view!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe you should bring it to the owners attention , Ive seen questionable things in various places,hygene is very over rated, we should all have a certain amount of dirt in our diet.... it all depends what the thing was that your source saw.(Im guessing at licking fingers)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I believe it was just a matter of miscommunication, someone may have ordered a "Piece of Pizza" , and the waitress prepared them a "Piso Pizza"!

Sylvia from NS

Feb 12, 2006
I have learned my lesson. If I didn't see it for myself, I was very quickly corrected on the fact that I shouldn't have even mentioned it. Was told some very direct things, and from now on, I will read, error on the side of caution, and keep my comments to myself. There are thousands of members and guests on DR1 and you never know who is reading, PMing you, watch what you say is my only advice. Which...is why I did not mention the restaurant by name and asked advice, which I certainly got! Happy vacationing and living in Sosua. All the best to everyone out there.

lumberjack69

May 21, 2009
Not sure how to handle this situation regarding the hygiene subject. It has been bothering me for two years since I became aware of questionable hygiene practices at a restaurant in Sosua that gets frequent positive comments on this site. What is the policy? It is from a reliable source, who saw it first hand, so I am confident with what she saw enough to have NEVER eaten at this place. The restaurant is still owned by the same person. Don't want to make enemies, don't want to cause problems because I really enjoy DR1 and find it a very helpful site. What is the consensus?:ermm:

Which one is it. PM me if you are afraid to say.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
having found out what the rumour was, I think we can guess who the "friend" was that gave you this information lol.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
thanks for all the recomendations in this thread.

me and my brother in law (trig) own and operate a pizza place here in ohio. (he owns, i operate) we are part of a small local franchise.

i agree with earlier comments... franchise pizza is not something to write home about, or go to another country to eat. (we, however, are an exception) we are a different style of pizza than available anywhere else... but anyway...

as a result of being in the pizza business, i find it necessary to always try when i am someplace else..

i LOVED the pizza at rockys. fresh whole garlic cloves on a pizza was something i had never heard of before, and it was fantastic. the crust was great, and the pie was put together well.

i have not yet tried the pizza at any other establishments, as most of the places we ate at, were recommended for particular food items (ie: steak at lacosterea, schnitzel at orchid, etc..)

but, i'll be reviewing this thread again before our february trip so i can try some of the other offerings...

i will NOT be driving out of my way for pizza hut or dominoes.. that stuff shouldnt even carry the label of pizza.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
btw: thoguht i should mention... in regards to hygiene...

i saw some things at some restaurants in the dr.. that would get me closed down in a heart beat back home.

but.. it was also things i at least in some small part either expected to see, or was not shocked at all..

i saw chefs using thier apron to wipe thier hands, and then the same apron to wipe the sweat off thier forehead and later use the apron to clean the endge of a plate....
it didnt make me not want to continue eating.. matter of fact i saw those things BEFORE receiving my meal... i found it slightly humorous actually.

yes, i saw chefs tasting food, as they should, and then licking thier fingers before doing something else.. oh well.

i did not see anything that turned my stomach. nor did i see anything that would cause me to either leave, or to not return to an establishment. as a restaurant operator myself, i will continue to gladly support and recommend each and every palce that i visited in the dr.... and will not tell anyone who wipes thier face with thier apron.. they'll have to discover that on their own :) lol

i saw kitchens that looked like something out of a third world country...wait.... nevermind.... point proven....

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
They go a little funny on hygene in some countries....in Spain they tend to hand you a napkin with forceps and then put the cutlery down on the table using their hands, whats all that about.

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
It was so funny, the first time we went to La Costerra, I had drank a few President Lights before dinner. As soon as we got there, I had to use the banos. After walking through the kitchen to hit the banos, I walked directly to the table and told Naptime....you have to go to the banos and check out the kitchen. They would shut us down back home forever if that was our kitchen!!!! As I said this, I was wiping off some small bugs that were crawling around on our table. I don't want to sound like a hipocrite, but if I had this expierence here in the States, I would go banana's. But there is something about being there, the attitude, the friendliness, the unbelievable food, that makes all the other stuff really not matter!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
It was so funny, the first time we went to La Costerra, I had drank a few President Lights before dinner. As soon as we got there, I had to use the banos. After walking through the kitchen to hit the banos, I walked directly to the table and told Naptime....you have to go to the banos and check out the kitchen. They would shut us down back home forever if that was our kitchen!!!! As I said this, I was wiping off some small bugs that were crawling around on our table. I don't want to sound like a hipocrite, but if I had this expierence here in the States, I would go banana's. But there is something about being there, the attitude, the friendliness, the unbelievable food, that makes all the other stuff really not matter!

I agree that being in a place like this, maybe any third world country, makes you relax and let things that would normally upset you slide....but NOT when it comes to hygiene and food preparation!! :ninja:

I think I'm pretty lucky to have a pretty "strong constitution" when it comes to food and stomach illness, and I'll eat just about anything from anywhere...but if I SEE something "less than sanitary"...I'm outta there!