Best Places to Live in DR

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Great post. I've been to Rio San Juan, Cabarete, Sosua, San Pedro, La Romana, Juan Dolio and Quisqueya. I prefer the small town. My wife is from Quisqueya so one day we'll probably return there to live.

It is a balance if you have a life here in DR and are not just here for the chicas or retirement.

There are some lovely near beach locations such as in San Cristobel, Azua, Barahona, Monte Cristi and Maria Trinidad Sanchez and when it comes to the hills and mountains the choice is exceptional. Places like where Matilda lives are everywhere. I hear about Constanza and Jarabacoa but go inland in Azua or San Jose de Ocoa province and you find incredible probably better scenery...just like Monte Plata and many more places....but off the beaten track.

This is the DR we came to love even if you need a dose of the city at hand.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I am very happy living in Santo Domingo, where I have been most of my life. I live and work primarily in Julieta, so I guess that makes a difference. My views are of a garden city -- this neighborhood banned high rises many years ago. In the evening, the neighborhood is very quiet, same on Sundays. And I have great sunset views from my terrace. Sunsets in the Caribbean are to die for.

I love living in a big city, being able to choose from a myriad of events. I love my community of friends, my involvement in sports and the arts and business. Uber has made life better. Take Uber to the Colonial City to avoid the stresses of driving and parking. If you can manage your schedule, Santo Domingo is good. I go walking to the movies on the Winston Churchill.

I think the key to living in Santo Domingo is to be able to in some way control your time so as not to have to fight traffic.

Santo Domingo is equidistant to all the rest of the country, be it the southwest, the north or the east. It is essential to get out to breathe the cleaner air, but being centrally located makes it easier to get around. But when I do not travel for work, visiting friends or family, I am very happy to stay in Santo Domingo. Always something interesting happening and new places to go to.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am very happy living in Santo Domingo, where I have been most of my life. I live and work primarily in Julieta, so I guess that makes a difference. My views are of a garden city -- this neighborhood banned high rises many years ago. In the evening, the neighborhood is very quiet, same on Sundays. And I have great sunset views from my terrace. Sunsets in the Caribbean are to die for.

I love living in a big city, being able to choose from a myriad of events. I love my community of friends, my involvement in sports and the arts and business. Uber has made life better. Take Uber to the Colonial City to avoid the stresses of driving and parking. If you can manage your schedule, Santo Domingo is good. I go walking to the movies on the Winston Churchill.

I think the key to living in Santo Domingo is to be able to in some way control your time so as not to have to fight traffic.

Santo Domingo is equidistant to all the rest of the country, be it the southwest, the north or the east. It is essential to get out to breathe the cleaner air, but being centrally located makes it easier to get around. But when I do not travel for work, visiting friends or family, I am very happy to stay in Santo Domingo. Always something interesting happening and new places to go to.

Well said, another "city girl". I'm one of those people who wants to know the options are there, close by, even if I don't use them all the time.

Sometimes I want to scream from boredom out at Playa Najayo. The year that my Kindle died I thought about committing hari-kari.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I love your place Dolores. If you have to live in the city, there's no better place to live than up above the craziness.

I live now in a Residential area with double security perimeters just west of the entrance to the November 6 highway, so for me, going to and from work is literally a hop, skip and jump to my business in Nigua.

I can come and go in less than 10 minutes.

And now with the new highway around the city, I can get to the toll booth on the Autopista Duarte in a short period of time as well with virtually no traffic.

If I want to go to the city, it's only minutes to the center of town. About as good as it gets for now.

I tend to be a country boy however.

I'd love to have a place like AE's.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Good to see some positive things being said about Santo Domingo for once from people who actually live and work there.

I used to dislike the place, but having based myself here for over two years I do see the clear benefits over some other places and quietly live a contented life. You adapt and like any other city know your boundaries and the places to go and the route and time when to go to. It definitely is easier driving here than having to be so alert weaving around motos in the Cibao towns and roads between for example.

It could be so much better too with a potentially fantastic Malecon stretching from the west all the way to Las Americas and a historic old city. I remain hopeful of better traffic management and the proposed new development and the end of the port at the entrance to the Ozama.

But I am a country boy at heart and the city will not be my end game and I am not tied to where the family of my lady lives. She like me is open to a balance between the benefits of the city and something more quiet.

The ring road from Haina is a great route out to the campo and north too.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Great topic. Thank you ju10prd for posting it. 
I am enjoying reading everyone's replies. 

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
AT present I live in Luperon, LaSabana precisely.
Been here for almost 9 years off and on when travelling from Canada.
Not one for night life and big cities.
Laid back old man enjoying the space.
Thinking of moving up to Jaracaoba once my home here in LaSabana sells.
I like to be near the sea but not on it.... like the hills better... air is thinner and climate more stable.
LOts of Ex-pats here in Luperon Province ,
I think home is what you make it!
I visit SDO at least once a month to the Colonial Zone , shop, restaurants etc. but would not survive there.area for the good life.
All a matter of perspective, I guess.
Love the RD.
Russell
My business associates are all in SDO they recommend 'Moca'

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
AT present I live in Luperon, LaSabana precisely.
Been here for almost 9 years off and on when travelling from Canada.
Not one for night life and big cities.
Laid back old man enjoying the space.
Thinking of moving up to Jaracaoba once my home here in LaSabana sells.
I like to be near the sea but not on it.... like the hills better... air is thinner and climate more stable.
LOts of Ex-pats here in Luperon Province ,
I think home is what you make it!
I visit SDO at least once a month to the Colonial Zone , shop, restaurants etc. but would not survive there.area for the good life.
All a matter of perspective, I guess.
Love the RD.
Russell
My business associates are all in SDO they recommend 'Moca'

Interesting that you mention Moca.

I travel through Moca twice a week and my general impression is very negative. But then a bit outside the actual town especially towards the hills there are some nice looking areas. The same probably applies to other Cibao areas on the northern side. I do like the areas to the south west and east of Cotui and have lived near Bonao and the mountains nearby and the rivers provoke interest. My main gripe about the Cibao valley is that it can get very hot and stuffy and you need to be a bit more elevated. And places aimed at middle class second home owners do exist in those hills nearby. For example there are some nice properties available up in the hills overlooking Autopista Duarte to the east as you approach Piedra Blanc through the wooded section as you are entering the Cibao valley from the capital. Look up and you will see the odd villa looking down on the valley. And land prices for those parcels weren't bad for plots with security, power and water a few years back at $17sm negotiable. Just think a home in the hills juts over 30 minutes from SD. I looked at them and had some visions of a home in the forest in a small community.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Security is an issue to take seriously. An option to living in the hills near Santo Domingo is Lomas Lindas off Duarte Highway at Km. 29. It is a well-run gated community with houses for sale and lots still available with lovely views and relatively near Santo Domingo. For enjoying golf, the Las Lagunas/Cayacoa Country Club is nearby, with a good golf course. Las Lagunas/Cayacoa Country Club is also a residential development, but Lomas Lindas is more of a community, and is built on sloping hills, while Cayacoa is on flat land.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can't help but think that this list might change if we get hit by this hurricane

Praying it doesn't....
But picking a good place not prone to flooding or mudslides is a good idea.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Yes Moca, but that may just be their personal opinions ; my Espossa has family in Bonao but that is a bit close to big city for these old bones.
From what I have seen The mountain villages are nice , but this all remains to be seen.
However I do appreciate all the comments... very valuable to my new discovery.
Russell

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I have lived in SDQ many thing to do great place to live but the traffic just ate me up and crime I hated the fact I had to keep my head on a swivel 24/7. Now I live in Punta Cana its very relaxing many beautiful Beaches and great restaurants and many things to do and safe and the people some what know how to drive. and the police here don't shake you down every time they see you. .. I like the fact a 10 minute car trip takes 10 minutes not 1 hr like in SDQ . when I need SDQ I just go for two days stay in a hotel and huber it all day. but there are many beautiful places here its all according to how you want to live and things you want on this island.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I can't help but think that this list might change if we get hit by this hurricane

Praying it doesn't....
But picking a good place not prone to flooding or mudslides is a good idea.

I agree William, next week should cap off my decisions on mobility.
Last fall the heavy rain cut me off from working on my farm... the road to the place is virtually non-existent in Navajaro.

At my age I should be reading more books and worrying less about nature and its effects on my life. Gave up sailing for the same reason.
Interesting about other mountain villages ; think I will look them up on Google then pay a visit.
Please lets keep this thread going... it is most valuable.
Russell

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you grew up in a serious urban area like NYC or Boston, I can see why Santo Domingo is attractive. If you grew up in the quiet 'burbs or rural areas, Santo Domingo is a horrible place regardless of all the shopping and cultural offerings.

We like Jarabacoa. It's quite 5 days a week, the weather is excellent, the area always green and coller than other areas except Constanza, the people decend from farmers who take pride in the environment, it has most consumer goods necessary, health care has improved immensely, the cost of living very modest, low crime, nice people in a place where everybody knows each other, and is only 40 minutes from Santiago, a most enjoyable large city. It has 40,000 people MOL, and maybe 50,000 on weekends when the city folks escape the craziness of their areas...

We used to enjoy going to Santo Domingo 10 years ago. Now the traffic is simply unbearable and there are traffic jams with people trying to avoid traffic jams. Even Santiago is getting bad as far as traffic.

A nice, really pretty and peaceful town in the mountains, a hidden jewel, is San Jose de las Matas.

But small town, country living is not for everybody. I can see how city folks would get bored.

"Best" depends on what is important to you.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Russell check out Moncion. Not too far from where you are now, 1500 feet, an hour and a bit from Santiago and beautiful. If you decide to check it out, call in for a coffee.

Matilda

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
A nice, really pretty and peaceful town in the mountains, a hidden jewel, is San Jose de las Matas.

That's an even more hidden Jewel than Jarabacoa, at least Jarabacoa is very known locally and even internationally. However, I feel like mostly only Santiagueros visit Sajoma for vacation, etc. Sajoma is beautiful, it's by far the cleanest town I've been to in DR, beautiful scenery, the people still retain the good qualities of Dominican culture, and there are a ton of nearby towns and campos which are simply gorgeous. BTW, the whole "Sierra" region is beautiful, Janico, Moncion, Sajoma and multiple other less known towns are part of the "Sierra".

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You're zeroing in Russell....

The above itinerary may be worth a look....

Those are some knowledgeable posters pointing the way

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
How are real estate prices in sj de las matas. I mean a simple house just to escape from time to time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How are real estate prices in sj de las matas. I mean a simple house just to escape from time to time.
Take a day trip and cruise around the area. You'll have an enjoyable experience.

I suspect prices will be very modest.

The drive from Santiago is very interesting. Last time in the area we saw numerous new nice neighborhoods being built.

It's one of the few areas of the country where you'll meet locals with blue eyes (or, as they say, "clear eyes.")

My wife's father was born there.

Janico is another nice town.