Best Places to Live in DR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks, not used to using meters for house size.

That´s a big house!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We paid US$50,000 for a large (very large) house - 2 living rooms, 2 baths, 3 beds, kitchen, utility, study, cellar and dog room lol plus wrap around balcony and 9 tareas. Near Moncion.

Matilda

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks, not used to using meters for house size.

That´s a big house!
Yes it is. On a big lot. And a very nice house, especially the covered penthouse patio.

I'm getting used to everything real estate being m2

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Closer in, not total boondocks, is up the turistica road (now being grated and prepped for paving) from the main road at the Grand Parada (Hwy. 5) to Tubagua or beyond. An eco village in Tubagua, as an example, sits about 1,000' above sea level with beautiful 180 degree ocean views to Mt. Isabella in Puerto Plata, all the way to east of the POP airport, which is 20 minutes away. Pto. Plata is about 25 minutes away, Sosua & Cabarete about 30 & 40 minutes away, respectively. Santiago about 50 minutes. From the village are short mountain hikes to small water falls and natural pools, and the ubiguitous colmados, fruit/veggie stands, also coffee plantations, ambar mines and rivers. A small lot, with tipico-style cabins included, are about $40,000 or so. Other surrounding areas have land for under $18 per M2. Makes for a good weekend getaway for us.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Closer in, not total boondocks, is up the turistica road (now being grated and prepped for paving) from the main road at the Grand Parada (Hwy. 5) to Tubagua or beyond. An eco village in Tubagua, as an example, sits about 1,000' above sea level with beautiful 180 degree ocean views to Mt. Isabella in Puerto Plata, all the way to east of the POP airport, which is 20 minutes away. Pto. Plata is about 25 minutes away, Sosua & Cabarete about 30 & 40 minutes away, respectively. Santiago about 50 minutes. From the village are short mountain hikes to small water falls and natural pools, and the ubiguitous colmados, fruit/veggie stands, also coffee plantations, ambar mines and rivers. A small lot, with tipico-style cabins included, are about $40,000 or so. Other surrounding areas have land for under $18 per M2. Makes for a good weekend getaway for us.

And that is a stunning area with amazing views and close to beaches and all amenities - best of all worlds.

Matilda

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
We have been in Luperon for the past 4 years, we are now very seriously looking at Cabrera.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We have been in Luperon for the past 4 years, we are now very seriously looking at Cabrera.

I'd take Cabrera over Luperon any day of the week. Still lots of nice "up in the hills" houses and land to be had there.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Luperon is nothing special. Lived there my first three DR years, when I still didn't know better :D. My ex is from there.

Big Friendly

Aug 1, 2017
If going to the gym is part of your lifestyle, things are more limited unless you have a car. I lived in Gascue in the capital for years. The only good gym was the Jaragua. They then closed it to non hotel guests. I joined SmartFit at the Sambil Mall. Great club with good prices but I was spending 3x times more on taxis than the membership.

I decided to buy in Bella Vista and now walk to the Body Shop. Huge club with great facilities. Working out is a lifestyle decision and it influenced where I wanted to live.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If going to the gym is part of your lifestyle, things are more limited unless you have a car. I lived in Gascue in the capital for years. The only good gym was the Jaragua. They then closed it to non hotel guests. I joined SmartFit at the Sambil Mall. Great club with good prices but I was spending 3x times more on taxis than the membership.

I decided to buy in Bella Vista and now walk to the Body Shop. Huge club with great facilities. Working out is a lifestyle decision and it influenced where I wanted to live.

If you like city life, Bella Vista is definitely one of the safer and more cosmopolitan parts of the Santo Domingo. There is plenty to enjoy in the area, but the rapid development on small villa plots into apartment blocks has created a traffic problem at peak times, and it is a gamble guessing who your neighbor is going to be. I had 15 months there, but I am glad I moved a bit down towards the western end of the Malecon in an uncomplicated middle class area, albeit close to some less desirable areas. But if you have decent security and are sensible, you can make the most of less expensive parts of the city with a very quick way out west or north and even east along the Malecon at the right times of day.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Where I live on Prolongacion 27 Feb. , a new Bravo supermarket opened today. There is a SmartFit gym there that will open next week.

I go to the gym in Luperon Plaza (Flex) but haven't decided if I will change gyms.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I like Bravo. We were there two hours ago with my Sil . Few wines though, I think they are evangelicos, no beer no rum nor whiskey for sale. Meat is good.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I lived in Las Praderas for 6 years , in a house , 10 house condominium. Always thought it was fine. Last week moved out, initially to move back to Europe but for the time being will stay in SD. Moved to Jardines del Embajador. Old building but modernized apartment, but I had not expected I would like it as much as I do. Huge, well maintained garden / park around the buildings where the children can play (beware dog poo) , almacenes unidos right across the street which is a better and cheaper supermarket than  the ones I used to go to. And Bella Vista is just up a notch compared to Las Praderas. For the time being I'll be fine living here.

Last edited: