Best prepaid cell phone provider

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
JERSEY DAVE said:
How much is a cheap phone from Orange? Do they rent them?
Fairly certain you can get a phone for under $50US. Remember, if you bring a phone from the US, you still need to buy an Orange SIM card (about $10US??).

I'm not sure if they rent phones.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have both my Verizon Dominicana phone and a new Communicard in NY. I added a few Pesos my last day in RD, but do not want to lose my number.

Is there any way to "Re-Charge" it remotely like the OP mentioned Orange allows? Or do I need to send it down on vacation with a friend to keep my number?

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
JERSEY DAVE said:
What type(s) of phones would be compatible with orange's service, I'd like to buy a couple of cheapo's to bring with me, and activate over there
Thanks, Dave

I have bought Orange Sim Cards for my Motorola 525 Vodaphone which had to be unblocked and my Motorola V3 both worked perfectly with no problems.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Tamborista said:
I have both my Verizon Dominicana phone and a new Communicard in NY. I added a few Pesos my last day in RD, but do not want to lose my number.

Is there any way to "Re-Charge" it remotely like the OP mentioned Orange allows? Or do I need to send it down on vacation with a friend to keep my number?

Good question. I also have a verizon phone. So far I have always been back down within 60 days so no problem. I may eventually buy a Motorola razr and activate that with Orange to have 2 phones down there.

I am flying to SDQ next friday, so if your phone needs a "vacation". . . .

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Tamborista said:
You could have left it at Margarita's, Casita #39 on Sosua Beach. I'm sure Margarita would have been glad to re-charge it for you.:p

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I heard she is installing a Vonage phone in stall #39 soon on Sosua beach for FREE US phone calls for special customers.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was not joking Mr. Rellosk.
Her wealthy industrialist partner was talking about DSL Flash in the bar.
I realize this might take time.
In the mean time, have Una Fria while you wait.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
orange "rates" vs. verizon

Ive been told by a few people that Verizon recently lowered there pesos per min rate to match Orange. Also that Orange charges tax whenever you enter the card number into your phone so you're not getting the amount of pesos that you paid for. Anyone know if this is true?

Also, Ive been to Caribbean Communications on Pedro Clisante, they seem to be a great company, met the owner Joe, nice guy from America, however, is there anywhere else that unlocks/programs and/or sells used cell phones in Sosua or Cabarete?

And finally... will Orange unlock a Cingular,TMobile, AT&T phone along with the sim card for 300 pesos?

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
Anyone know of somewhere you can get an international prepaid SIM for travel to the Dominican Republic, but still have a number with a US area code?

Telestial has an international prepaid SIM with decent rates in the DR ($0.55 outgoing and free incoming calls), but I guess the number you get is a 372 area code (which, best I can figure is Estonia). So I am thinking calling a 372 number would be quite expensive.

Or, where can I get an Orange prepaid card before I leave and how much are rates to the United States. And vice versa, how much it is to call a Dominican number from a Cingular cell phone in the states.

I am not going to be staying long term in the DR anytime soon, just a few weeks here and there. I have a Cingular GSM quad band phone and wanted to see if I could find the least expensive way to be able to call the states (esp. considering the rates at the Verizon place are around RD$9/minute to the US), or have someone in the states reach me. Anyone have any ideas on the best solution?

Thanks so much!
Vanessa :)

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I have use Verizon, Orange and now Im with centennial, Verizon has the best coverage but too expensive, Orange has problem with the signal drop, customer service, and charge tax when you enter the card. Centennial has pre paid plans that charges seconds or minutes, 50% discount on weekends, to call to USA, CANADA and PR at the same price that a local calls, and better prices to call to mexico, spain, france, Italy than Verizon and guess even orange.

If you move into the main cities of the DR Centennial is the better option, you can recharge your minutes in the internet site of the company, you only need to register your credit card into your number account, or calling to the customer service you can recharge by credit card too.

www.centennialrd.com

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
a few more cellphone questions...

Thanks for all the great information!

I have a few additional questions:

What system is Centennial on? Will they activate the phone for free?

Do any of the carriers in DR use TDMA (...older cingular/tmobile in the states)? Wondering if a Motorola V60it will work there.

Where (near Cabarete or Sosua) is the Verizon office that will activate a CDMA (Verizon, Sprint, etc) phone?

Has anyone had a problem using the dual NAM feature when they got home... i.e. your original (U.S.) number no longer works correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Go to the Verizon "Kiosk" in the Super Playero.(On the Highway in Sosua across from Texaco) It's on the right hand side as you enter the store. The girl that works for Verizon is dynamite and speaks perfect English. I never have a problem switching back to NAM1. If you do have a problem, it takes 3 minutes on the phone with Verizon USA to fix it.

Good Luck.

PS: It's free to activate an RD CDMA line with Verizon, DO NOT PAY.
You will need to buy a card.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Centennial use tri 800/1900 CDMA 1x Tecnology only in Digital mode, The activation is Free and you only buy the calling card, in some store you will need to pay for the PRL and code that cost you about 100 dominican pesos.

Actually Im using the 2 nam, but verizon line is only to send txt message to my friends, most of them are with verizon, to send txt message out of centennial network cost me 2.80 within centennial network with my plan are free.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thanks for the info on Verizon at Playero. There's a Verizon kiosk at Janet's supermarket in Cabarete...anyone have experience there? Do you know if they will do several phones if I buy a card for each one?

Does anyone know the cost (if any) for txt messaging between verizon phones if you're using pre-paid phone cards?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Ben said:
Before leaving the DR I buy several Orange cards and simply follow the instructions on the back for how to recharge your account from another phone. You call an 809 number and follow the prompts, including entering your orange phone number. Your Orange phone can be out of the country and/or turned off when you do this. Not difficult but of course long distance rates apply when dialing the 809 number.
I just returned from the DR and will try what you suggest. I am trying to minimize the number of cards I will need to load.

I believe the RD100 cards expire in 30 days. (I know the RD300 cards give you more time). Do you know if the phone number expires when the card expires, or does the phone number expire x number of days after the card?

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
No, you will continue receiving incoming calls for 30 days, if you don?t recharge they will suspend the service complete, and if in the next 15 days you don?t recharge you will lose the number, But if you are an orange customer they cut the service complete if you don?t recharge on time. they don?t alow incoming calls like verizon, centennial and tricom.

Last edited: