Best restaurant in the Dominican Republic

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
Italian restaurants

DomLou said:
What are the best italian restaurants in the Capital? I have heard of Vesuvio, how is it? Any other reccomendations, and what about price?

There are some wonderful italian restaurants in Santo Domingo like Fellini, Da Franco, La bricciola, Il Capuccino.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
easygoin said:
A place referred to in English... called the Golden Fish. I have never had a bad meal from this restaurant. People who live in Santiago know the name and I'm sure...... will say the same.I would recommend this restaurant for tourists....that enjoy a very nice atmosphere, service, and quality of food.

Hi there :)

If I take a taxi and ask the driver to go to "Golden Fish", would he know?

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Potato_Salad said:
Hi there :)

If I take a taxi and ask the driver to go to "Golden Fish", would he know?

He should if he understand English? Otherwise I believe the proper name....LA pez Dorado?

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
easygoin said:
He should if he understand English? Otherwise I believe the proper name....LA pez Dorado?

I see. Thank you for your help. I'll try it once I get out of this city (NYC). lol

Take care.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
easygoin said:
A place referred to in English... called the Golden Fish. I have never had a bad meal from this restaurant. People who live in Santiago know the name and I'm sure...... will say the same.I would recommend this restaurant for tourists....that enjoy a very nice atmosphere, service, and quality of food.

http://orbitz.wcities.com/en/record/34,303804/181/record.html

El Pez Dorado
Calle El Sol No. 43
Santiago de los Caballeros

+1 809 582 2518

Perhaps the most famous restaurant in Santiago de los Caballeros, El Pez Dorado is frequented by the upper classes of this Northen city. Serving high-quality dishes of Chinese, Dominican and international cuisine since the 1970s, this restaurant is a reliable choice. The delicious and copious seafood and Chinese dishes are the fortes of the house, where the prices are fairly reasonable and the service is exceptional. Notably, the wine selection is considered by many to be the best on the island.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
ElvisNYC said:
http://orbitz.wcities.com/en/record/34,303804/181/record.html

El Pez Dorado
Calle El Sol No. 43
Santiago de los Caballeros

+1 809 582 2518

Perhaps the most famous restaurant in Santiago de los Caballeros, El Pez Dorado is frequented by the upper classes of this Northen city. Serving high-quality dishes of Chinese, Dominican and international cuisine since the 1970s, this restaurant is a reliable choice. The delicious and copious seafood and Chinese dishes are the fortes of the house, where the prices are fairly reasonable and the service is exceptional. Notably, the wine selection is considered by many to be the best on the island.

Thanks buddy for the information! :classic:

They even serve Chino food. :chinese:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hi everyone :)

I plan to visit Santo Domingo next week.

I will be having dinner with my friend and his mother. My friend's mother is a vegetarian.

Does anyone know a nice vegetarian restaurant in the Santo Domingo area?

Thank you.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Potato Salad: I think Chirimoya can probably answer that one for you. She has posted about some places like Ananda center on Casimira Moya. I know there is a very big vegetarian restaurant over on 27 de Febrero, but I have never eaten there. Course, many of the regular places will prepare vegetarian dishes, or rather dishes without the meat course, if you ask them. My wife is on a diet at the moment, and we ate at a little comedor called Mimosa over on Arzobispo Nouel, and she had an ample salad. The food is quite good there.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
macocael said:
Potato Salad: I think Chirimoya can probably answer that one for you. She has posted about some places like Ananda center on Casimira Moya. I know there is a very big vegetarian restaurant over on 27 de Febrero, but I have never eaten there. Course, many of the regular places will prepare vegetarian dishes, or rather dishes without the meat course, if you ask them. My wife is on a diet at the moment, and we ate at a little comedor called Mimosa over on Arzobispo Nouel, and she had an ample salad. The food is quite good there.

Hello macocael :)

Thank you for the information. I greatly appreciate it.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Happy2BeFree

Apr 20, 2006
Restaurants in LR

Does anyone know a good restaurant where to take guests in La Romana? They would like to have seafood and eat on the water. Any suggestions. Preferably moderate price range.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Happy 2befree,
Welcome to DR1. I would suggest that you use the search function provided above. If you cant find what you need then ask your question in the "Living Forum" as that is where the questions from newbies is asked and where our board members are more likely to see your question and therefore reply to you.

To all board members, this forum and thread is the "Best in the DR" and is for the posting of what you consider the best restaurant, beach, store ect., and is not for asking questions. The purpose of the forum is so that a person can do a quick search and get honest ideas as to the best place to go in their travels across the island without wading through a lot of questions and conversation.

Rick

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
My nominee for best restaurant AND the best wine cellar in the DR is Chalet Suisse in Guayacanes (between Boca Chica and Juan Dolio.) Now that we know this restaurant, we always drive out of Santo Domingo and then right past Boca Chica to go have really good food and quiet atmosphere.

The owner is a former White House chef. There is no menu. The chef makes about 5 or 6 different selections daily, nothing has ever been frozen, and he uses only fresh ingredients. The wait staff has been trained very well. Usually choices of a beef entree, pork entree, seafood or pasta combinations. Great appetizer trays of meats, cheeses and breads.

The last time we ate there, the wine list was 42 pages of densely handwritten selections, from what appeared to be any country on earth that makes wine, and the biggest part of the list was French.

Lunch /dinner for 2 with appetizers and coffee after, runs about 2500 pesos, without tip or alcohol.

The hardest part is finding the restaurant. I will go there this weekend and then post easy directions, once I find it again myself.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Duh-ohh

Boy did I screw this up. The restaurant's name I am nominating above for best restaurant is DELI SWISS in Guayacanes. DELI SWISS, DELI SWISS, DELI SWISS. There, I got it.

Unfortunately, I still don't have the directions. I was overruled on Saturday night on our way, and we ended up going to Boca Marina restaurant in Boca Chica. BIG MISTAKE. 'nuff said.

I will get the directions for Deli Swiss by next weekend, whether I go there with the dominicana or without her.

Last edited:

europeanguy

Nov 23, 2004
Went last week for the first time to Vesuvio Malecon. I had high expectations, but boy I was wrong.......The decoration is of over 30 years ago and since then it hasn't been refurnished. Really, not a place one takes company to. Although the food was okay and prices were also okay. Will never go there anymore, unless it is totally redecorated.

Went also to Fellini. The food was good. The decoration is also okay, although not excellent. Prices are at the high end. Good place for business dinners.

The best place in my opinion in SD is Yatoba: good food, beautiful decorated, nice prices.

Cafe Milano has also an excellent decoration, food okay, but they charge a little too much for the food.

Pepperoni has good food, but I don't like it when I get nothing of the house like bread with butter. Those are the small things that make it for me. I sat outside and that is nothing special, but inside it looked pretty beautiful. Prices are at high end.

Went in Juan Dolio to Aura. In december I had excellent food there, in a beautiful decorated place. This time I was highly disappointed. The food was bad. This is because the chef has changed since the last time. Besides this now you had to use a minimum of USD 40 a person in drinks, food to stay at their beach chairs, beds, otherwise you could only use the restaurant instead. In 3 hrs we drank and ate a lot, but we didn't make it at the USD 40 a person. Too many rules with lousy food, probably mean I won't return there next time.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
GringoCArlos said:
Unfortunately, I still don't have the directions. I was overruled on Saturday night on our way, and we ended up going to Boca Marina restaurant in Boca Chica. BIG MISTAKE. 'nuff said.
Where is Boca Marina restaurant? I'm guessing in the marina (duh), but where?
GringoCArlos said:
I will get the directions for Deli Swiss by next weekend, whether I go there with the dominicana or without her.
Is this the place?

Deli Swiss Kleinert Walter
Central 338 Guayacanes
Juan Dolio
(809) 526-1226

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
That is Deli Swiss. The restaurant is on the water side of the sand/dirt street that runs about a block in, parallel to the carretera. It is about the first group of houses when you enter the Guayacanes area coming from Boca Chica.

It's fine to ask any local or watchymen where it is, and they will point you. The restaurant has a small sign, kind of up in a tree, but once you go there, you will always find your way. It's not huge, there are about 4 or 5 tables inside, and another 6 or 8 outside on decks overlooking the water.
---------------------------
In Boca Chica, once you come down the hill next to the Coral Hamaca AI, at the corner is their outside restaurant called " Pelicano" . About 60 yards past the corner is the restaurant "Neptunos". Another 100 yards is "Boca Marina" restaurant. My best advice for all 3 restaurants here: DON"T EAT ANY SEAFOOD.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
OK, here are the directions to Deli Swiss in Guayacanes.

Taking the carretera from Santo Domingo / Boca Chica to the east, when the road splits (it has a big sign to go left for San Pedro or right for 'Boulevard') go off on the Boulevard side to the right.

In about 1 mile, there will be a green sign above the road saying "Playa Guayacanes". Turn off the carretera here, and go towards the sea for about a block and then around the curve to the left. (don't worry, it's the only direction you can go).

The beach runs along the street for about 200 yards. If you continue for another 150 yards, there will be a stretch of the street that is completely covered with trees and shade. The gate to Deli Swiss is on the right side. At night, they have a bright light over the gate, so you will see it. Also, you will normally see 1 - 3 expensive sedans parked here too.

If you do try it out, let me know if you agree that Deli Swiss is the best restaurant in the DR.