Best Steak House in Santo Domingo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anyone think I'm being over critical here?

That was your experience, so I wouln't call it over critical.

You need to contact the manager/owner and make him aware of this thread.

Let's see what levels their customer service goes to :)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
My churasco was as I ordered it 3 weeks ago at Porterhouse but didn't much care for the quality of the meat. My friend ordered a filet that was good but nothing reat. Never had better meat here than in D.Crockett's, but matter of taste.
I've even had good steak at Tony Roma's but of course the atmosphere is not
even close. If its outta-this-world seared tuna you want go to Otra Cosa in Cabarete right in front of Velero Beach Resort. Unreal. Incredible service, chef comes to ask about your meal and atmosphere is quietly romantic. It's about RD$1K per head for a nice dinner not including drinks but worth every centavo....they were recently written up in Scubadiver Magaine.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
rafael took us to Antinio's, our first experience at an Argentinian steakhouse. The food was outstanding!

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
rafael took us to Antinio's, our first experience at an Argentinian steakhouse. The food was outstanding!

I think it is called "Parrillada Antonio" it's in the triangle of Cesar Nicolas Penzo and Pedro Enriques Urena, right in front of "Escuela de Bellas Artes" where Quisqueya Park used to be.

I must say as a personal opinion the food is FANTASTIC!! price-quality are very good. When anyone visits, ask for the mixed grill..just FANTASTIC.

Oni

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Davey Crockett verses The Porterhouse. Porterhouse hands down. Better menu, atmosphere, and food.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Anybody like BBQ in his own yard ..... get your burgers from Joe's Angus & Grill, they make their own burgers which you can buy prozen with Bacon or blue cheese, or mushrooms etc. already mixed in it.
They also sell already cleaned imported Churrasco, not cheap but best quailty. Anybody wants to open a steak house I'm in it....

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Although not a steak house per se, the best damn steak I've had in the DR is at the Meson du Bari in the Zona Colonial, also mentioned as a good restaurant in other threads. I've eaten in a half dozen steak houses in Santo Domingo, some mentioned here, and the Meson Filete is still the best. It is prime cut filete sauted in a red wine sauce and smothered with red peppers and onions. It is so tender you can cut it with your fork.

I've eaten in a number of good steak houses in the US including the stockyards in Kansas City and I can honestly say the Meson Filete ranks up there with the best I've ever eaten.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
best steak

Although not a steak house per se, the best damn steak I've had in the DR is at the Meson du Bari in the Zona Colonial, also mentioned as a good restaurant in other threads. I've eaten in a half dozen steak houses in Santo Domingo, some mentioned here, and the Meson Filete is still the best. It is prime cut filete sauted in a red wine sauce and smothered with red peppers and onions. It is so tender you can cut it with your fork.

I've eaten in a number of good steak houses in the US including the stockyards in Kansas City and I can honestly say the Meson Filete ranks up there with the best I've ever eaten.

have to agree with you..I live next to bari,and it is my once a week filet...and only cost less than 500 pesos...
bob

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
meson d bari... my favorite restaurant in SD! *Everything's* good..including the steak... don't forget to start with the empanadas...the stewed crab version is really good..the one with lambi is amazing!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think it is called "Parrillada Antonio" it's in the triangle of Cesar Nicolas Penzo and Pedro Enriques Urena, right in front of "Escuela de Bellas Artes" where Quisqueya Park used to be.

I must say as a personal opinion the food is FANTASTIC!! price-quality are very good. When anyone visits, ask for the mixed grill..just FANTASTIC.

Oni
We ate there again with two other shifty-eyed DR1 denizens last Wednesday nite. It's called "Asadoro Antonio", and is at the intersections you described.

Churrasco to die for. Just be careful of the hot peppers in the olive oil:surprised . The doctor said my tongue graft will be fully healed in a jiffy.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Sorry I missed you this trip. That hot pepper and olive oil mix is called Chimmi Churri whichs is weird because Dominicans have their own chimmi churri and it is not even remotely the same. I may have to call antonios and see if they are open christmas day. I am flying back to santo domingo and want to go out to dinner instead of cooking etc.

We ate there again with two other shifty-eyed DR1 denizens last Wednesday nite. It's called "Asadoro Antonio", and is at the intersections you described.

Churrasco to die for. Just be careful of the hot peppers in the olive oil:surprised . The doctor said my tongue graft will be fully healed in a jiffy.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Sorry I missed you this trip. That hot pepper and olive oil mix is called Chimmi Churri whichs is weird because Dominicans have their own chimmi churri and it is not even remotely the same. I may have to call antonios and see if they are open christmas day. I am flying back to santo domingo and want to go out to dinner instead of cooking etc.
Sorry we missed you, too. BTW-on a tragic note, Che Tango in Santiago is no longer there. But the owners are now in a place a few blocks past International Plaza on the right. I had the imported Chirrasco there, too. VERY, VERY good, but they need to get the service thing together. Musta been a bad nite for them-slow, screw-ups, and stuff on the check we didn't order. However, the owner gave us many groveling apologies, and comped us after-dinner liquers. We'll go back.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Is the new place also Argentinian? I had never been to Che Tango and was thinking of going there next week :(
Yes. It seems to be a virtual clone, same owners, etc. Very good. I gotta believe the service snafu's we encountered were just that.

Excellent imported Chirrasco, not cheap but killer.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Can you give an idea of the pricing?
Imported Chirrasco was 900 pesos. Domestic was less than 300 pesos. Alida had grilled Sea Bass wrapped in tocino, covered in sauce for around 300 pesos.

Imported beef everywhere is expensive.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Yes. It seems to be a virtual clone, same owners, etc. Very good. I gotta believe the service snafu's we encountered were just that.
Excellent imported Chirrasco, not cheap but killer.

I hope so Cobra. I ate there about a month ago after the changeover and had a couple of service issues. The one that got me ****ed though was when I paid the bill. I beleive the total came to $1,410 or so so I gave them 2 $1,000 notes and told them I wanted change. (The steak was good and I wanted to give them more than $90 peso's as the tip.) When the change came back what was inside was 9 $10 peso notes. Made it look like a whole lot of change, and them knowing I had a bottle of wine with dinner and perhaps thinking I was a tourist.... It could have been a mistake, but I am a pretty good judge of people and the host struck me as "vivo"..Personally I think he tried to get over and let him know it "appeared" that way. Anyway, could be makeing something out of nothing....the steak was very good.

Ian

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
So you left a $500 Peso tip?

Ah, no.....I probably left like $130 or so. But not haveing change needed them to break the other $1,000 note so I could give them more than $90. The problem was they ommitted the $500 from my change and gave me only the 9 $10's. After I called their attention to it they had to cough up the full amount. Could have been a mistake...my intuition at the time was it was not.

Ian