Best Steak House in Santo Domingo

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Train in Gazcue

Yes, I have eaten steak there twice-- once it was awesome, thick, filet perfectly done obviously imported. The next time, it was much smaller, thinner and I think local...go figure. The place seems to hop at lunch but at dinner it was practically empty (but I went pretty early sooo..) Fries were not done well and veggies were the standard Dominican combo.. Price about 700 pesos, without wine...
annie

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Best Steak

By far my house no kidding no reservations b.y.o.b. Lots of room cool breeze lousy company what more could you ask for. Oh and it's cheap. In all the years I have been living here " THE TRAIN " is hard to beat have not eating at the "PORTERHOUSE" but will try it. I am a retired chef so like all my other posts I have a lot to say. Albeit somewhat cynical

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Great Argentine Parilla in SD- Great Steak

After 2 years of living and enjoying the Argentine beef, I finally found something that closely compares, and I thought I would share it with the carne mongers.The owner is an Argentine and the steaks are cooked on a parilla.
Prices are not bad at all considering.
I had a Lomo(tenderloin) that was too much for one average persons appetite for I recolect was under 500 pesos.
It has a nice romantic well decored outdoor patio area.
Enjoy!!

Don Nestor
Direcci?n:
Lope de Vega No. 13 Plaza Progreso Business Center
Telefono:
809-412-1386

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
After 2 years of living and enjoying the Argentine beef, I finally found something that closely compares, and I thought I would share it with the carne mongers.The owner is an Argentine and the steaks are cooked on a parilla.
I had a Lomo(tenderloin) that was too much for one average persons appetite for I recolect was under 500 pesos.
Enjoy!!

Don Nestor
Direcci?n:
Telefono:
809-412-1386

is that on the 27 side of ldvega,near Linoln,or the other end near tricom...
bob

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
Then I second the recommendation...very nice place! One of those "hidden gems" you could pass 100 times not knowing it's there...

The Parillada Mixta for two is (really) enough for 3 or 4...and I think it was around 800 pesos.

As well, had a great Lomo the other day for 455pesos, more than enough for one. Little Buenos Aires with Caribe outdoor atmosphere.

Its tucked deep in the Progreso Business Center plaza, hard to see on quick driveby. Maybe half way between the the Tricom and the Lope Lincoln V. On the right side of Lope if heading north.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Enjoy!!

Don Nestor
Direcci?n:
Telefono:
809-412-1386

Sorry for the late reply but was doing a search on Porterhouse as I am thinking we may try doing reservations for New Years. I have been to Don Nestors in the past and dug it. I miss Asadero Argentino on Independencia that closed a few years back but usually make my way to Antonios.

When in santiago I go to Puerto Madero which on many occasions has been the best entrana I ever had. . ... including many, many, many a steak in argentina. the best meat in argentina is for export so the entrana at Antonios or Puerto Madera can be better than Cabana Las Lilas in BA.

Sure wish porterhouse had a website!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Sorry for the late reply but was doing a search on Porterhouse as I am thinking we may try doing reservations for New Years. I have been to Don Nestors in the past and dug it. I miss Asadero Argentino on Independencia that closed a few years back but usually make my way to Antonios.

When in santiago I go to Puerto Madero which on many occasions has been the best entrana I ever had. . ... including many, many, many a steak in argentina. the best meat in argentina is for export so the entrana at Antonios or Puerto Madera can be better than Cabana Las Lilas in BA.

Sure wish porterhouse had a website!

I hear you on the BA export beef. I personally prefer some of the smaller restobars i found in BA as opposed to Las Lilas.
Don Nestor is closest i found here so far.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I hear you on the BA export beef. I personally prefer some of the smaller restobars i found in BA as opposed to Las Lilas.
Don Nestor is closest i found here so far.

El Marisol right down the street From Las Lilas is my favorite. Las Lilas has horrible service, and very high prices. And the meat at El Marisol is as good or better. Not to mention the prices.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
El Marisol right down the street From Las Lilas is my favorite. Las Lilas has horrible service, and very high prices. And the meat at El Marisol is as good or better. Not to mention the prices.

There is a small pace on reconquista down the block from kilkenny called Al Carbon. They have a bife de ancho de calidad de exportar. . . . . . .pretty damn good.

I did revisit Don nestor and the entrana or skirt steak was one of the best I have ever had. Up there with the old Che Tango in santiago.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
There is a small pace on reconquista down the block from kilkenny called Al Carbon. They have a bife de ancho de calidad de exportar. . . . . . .pretty damn good.

I did revisit Don nestor and the entrana or skirt steak was one of the best I have ever had. Up there with the old Che Tango in santiago.

Oh the many memories of great steakhouses in Buenos Aires...im due for a Don Nestor right quick-its a 15min drive as opposed to a 14 hour flight.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The Phily Cheesestake at Chef Pepper is pretty darn good.

They have a good formula and it's showing in the amount of business they are doing.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Most decent places in the capital import their meat. Chef Pepper does well as it has good service, simple menu and reasonable prices.

They started as a quality delivery service for products similar to Omaha Steaks and then branched out into a physical location. They already had a loyal customer base for their food products.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
An old thread brought to life, and rightfully so.. One thing I'll say about Porterhouse, it's wall to wall Jeepetas every time I go by.

Now there is a Fry and Grill right across the street. I'm a happy camper there too.

I also hit Chef Pepper with Juanita every few weeks, and as long as we get there when they first open, we're good to go.

By the time we leave, it's full, with a big line at the door.

You can get a killer salad there for around 200 pesos and change, the same as a Chicken Ceasar in Burger King. What a difference!

Just don't go there after 12:30......

The Chef Pepper on Sarasota is a madhouse. If you're trying to find it, just drive down Sarasota until you see cars parked EVERYWHERE, and that will be it.

have recently tried Outback prime rib....have gone back every week since then....just a great piece of meat....
bob

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Outback has decent Prime Rib and Prime Rib is very hard to find in DR. Certainly not a smith and wollensky or shulas prime rib, but beggars can't be choosers. I dig the bloomin onions.

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
Don Nestor...

I was just curious about if I'd understood this right - is Don Nestor an argentinian restaurant?