Bringing dop into the dominican

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
You can also order DOP online and pick up the pesos at the branch 2 or 3 days later. You can get a mixture of bills or all large or all small. Even got a bunch of 20 pesos bills. Unused bills fresh and clean, unlike the dirty one's in circulation in the D.R.
Saves time and hassle from changing after you arrive. Minimum amount to order is $300. CIBC is the bank that offers this, and no service charge.

The wife ordered some from TD bank no minimum. Took 3 days. Fair rate but the cambio was still better. The advantage was you could order small notes. Stack of fresh 20 peso notes.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
One note to the OP NEVER change money with the ladrones (thiefs) on the street.

Are you referring to the "Chains, chains" guys (as Derfish calls them) that hang around in the street? If so, why never change money with them? I've used them a couple of times in Sosua for smallish amounts when in a hurry and they haven't been too bad.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I would advice against using just any ATM. The most secure ones are those attached to a bank, and better yet - a major bank. I would avoid any hasty locations.

For the exchange rate, I would also advice against exchanging on airport, any agency back in your home country should have significantly better rates than any agency at an airport. So change a bit before departing, then use casa de cambio in the DR, but not at the airport. It might be just for one day, but you can lose a nice amount of money anyway.

I was once out of USD when entering and had to buy the tourist card, the exchange rate of USD/EUR was actually 1:1. And this wasn't now, it was when the difference was actually big. I know the rate USD/DOP might pretty much always be better, but still, I would not do it.

I haven't had to exchange money in any of the airports in a while, but there always used to be a Banreservas and/or Banco Popular branch at SDQ, PUJ, and POP. Aren't they there anymore? Those ATM's are attached to the banks - not hasty locations at all. Plus, you could go inside and exchange your money for a good rate.

Some of the cambios are rip-offs. You have to know what the exchange rate is before you go. I never took more than a 3%-5% "hit" on any money I ever exchanged at an airport cambio. $3-$5 on $100 was a small price for me to pay for the convenience of having money in my pocket and not have to go exchanging money the first thing when I got to town - especially if it was at night.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
i hardly think your local bank in Canada is going to have Dominican pesos on hand

Of course we do. We don't live in Siberia ;)

What the guy in post 2 said. Better rate at a foreign exchange place than your bank. Get a small amount till you get to the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Virtually all of our Canadian renters change Loonies to US Dollars in Canada and the change those US dollars to pesos here.

dinosinc

Mar 3, 2016
I only exchange a few CND into peso, at the foreign exchange just to get me by when I arrive, I then exchange the rest at the local bank as I get a better rate then in Canada, in some cases depending on what the exchange rate from CND to USD I will bring USD and exchange that as you will get a better rate in the DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not true, when I fly Westjet from Toronto they provide a tourist card for you, depends on your carrier....

Right, included in the ticket

Gorgon Canadian banks are one of the most respected in the world.
No damage in the mortgage debacle, zip, zero, zilch*

They have branches around the world.
Lead Caribbean bank for many islands.

Pesos are readily available.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I haven't had to exchange money in any of the airports in a while, but there always used to be a Banreservas and/or Banco Popular branch at SDQ, PUJ, and POP. Aren't they there anymore? Those ATM's are attached to the banks - not hasty locations at all. Plus, you could go inside and exchange your money for a good rate.

Some of the cambios are rip-offs. You have to know what the exchange rate is before you go. I never took more than a 3%-5% "hit" on any money I ever exchanged at an airport cambio. $3-$5 on $100 was a small price for me to pay for the convenience of having money in my pocket and not have to go exchanging money the first thing when I got to town - especially if it was at night.

I hope I haven't missed anything, but I've traveled through POP since 2009, and I have never spotted any banks there? I haven't paid that close attention though... Of the two other airports I have no idea, never used those (except PUJ once as Condor was rerouted there due to bad weather in POP).

Yes, I agree, never enter a cambio without knowing their rates.

This is why I would prefer to change sufficient amount already back home, if possible, and then at cambio in the city at daytime. So I would prefer not to arrive to the country without pesos.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I hope I haven't missed anything, but I've traveled through POP since 2009, and I have never spotted any banks there? I haven't paid that close attention though... Of the two other airports I have no idea, never used those (except PUJ once as Condor was rerouted there due to bad weather in POP).

This is why I would prefer to change sufficient amount already back home, if possible, and then at cambio in the city at daytime. So I would prefer not to arrive to the country without pesos.

I happened to be walking right past the BanReservas in Cabarete this afternoon, so I stopped in and asked. The BanReservas is still at the POP airport. It's been there for a long time.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

As one walks out doors and into the open lok to your left ans it is right there!
Der Fish

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I happened to be walking right past the BanReservas in Cabarete this afternoon, so I stopped in and asked. The BanReservas is still at the POP airport. It's been there for a long time.

As one walks out doors and into the open lok to your left ans it is right there!
Der Fish

Thanks, that would explain it.

I think I've never actually taken a look at this direction coming out. Always busy either with people coming to pick us up (right hand side / straight ahead) or looking for those. And as I've never even looked for any banking services on the airport, seems that I have missed this completely.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Yea, OK, but what's the BF deal-io?
Check the exchange before you come. Ballpark it.
TRUST ME: any taxi/concho driver will be DELIGHTED to take dollars or euro. Just know the exchange.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hola,
This may be a stupid question...
Just to save a little time on day one of my trip, instead of hunting for an atm for pocket pesos, can i get pesos at my local bank here in Canada and bring them to the DR ? If so how much is allowed
Gracias

You may be able to find rdpesos in Canada but the exchange rate you receive will not be good. In addition you will pay a fee to exchange Canadian dollars to rdpesos. Don't bother doing this. You would get a better rate at an ATM at the airport or anywhere else in the DR. Many credit/debit card companies do not have ATM fees in foreign countries. Possibly you have one of these. Make sure you notify your card company that you will be using your card in the DR otherwise you card will probalby be denied at the ATM. Do not bring a lot a cash with you. Go to the ATM and use your card as needed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Art,
the Cdn bank will give you a decent (maybe good) rate..... they are international players.

Get enough to get your started here and you can find more later.

US vs Cdn currency.... your call.
US is the more prevalent here.... but you will pay twice....
once to convert CAD to USD then again to convert USD to DOP

The rate is never a killer.... won't break you
All about convenience and ease

Your Cdn card in an ATM or bank will obviate the negotiations.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Art,
the Cdn bank will give you a decent (maybe good) rate..... they are international players.

Get enough to get your started here and you can find more later.

US vs Cdn currency.... your call.
US is the more prevalent here.... but you will pay twice....
once to convert CAD to USD then again to convert USD to DOP

The rate is never a killer.... won't break you
All about convenience and ease

Your Cdn card in an ATM or bank will obviate the negotiations.

I am not quite sure what you are negotiating? There is little room for negotiations by a tourist exchanging cash at a Casa de Cambio?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ah , Steve, sometimes I wonder..........

Negotiating the maze of currency conversions....
Negotiating life in a foreign land....

Take your pick.

Not a sit down or stand up , face to face negotiation......

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
Save the hassle and obtain the pesos before you leave. Exchange rates are the same in Canada as there or pretty close. What difference does 1 or 2 % make on such a small amount of money. Also there is not service change and the pesos will even be delivered to your home if you choose.
This is the rate as of right now for ordering DOP online - Exchange Rate
1 CAD = 33.557047 DOP