Bringing dop into the dominican

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Ah , Steve, sometimes I wonder..........

Negotiating the maze of currency conversions....
Negotiating life in a foreign land....

Take your pick.

Not a sit down or stand up , face to face negotiation......

Sorry that we are not as sharp as you are MR. Obviate.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
*Correct, buying pesos in Canada will obviate any problems in RD.

Good word*

Just plain dumb. By the time you exchange Canadian dollars to rdpesos in Canada you will not be getting a better rate than in the DR. You will have a lower exchange rate plus a service charge for the exchange. The Royal Bank of Canada quotes a current exchange rate of 32.36 drpesos to the Canadian Dollar. This is already a lower rate than you can get in the DR. How does this make any sense to you vs.going to a casa de cambio or simply using an ATM? It is really not that difficult. If the gentleman that asked the original question doesn't mind losing money than your advice is terrific. I hope this obviates any confusion that your advice has created.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Just plain dumb. By the time you exchange Canadian dollars to rdpesos in Canada you will not be getting a better rate than in the DR. You will have a lower exchange rate plus a service charge for the exchange. The Royal Bank of Canada quotes a current exchange rate of 32.36 drpesos to the Canadian Dollar. This is already a lower rate than you can get in the DR. How does this make any sense to you vs.going to a casa de cambio or simply using an ATM? It is really not that difficult. If the gentleman that asked the original question doesn't mind losing money than your advice is terrific. I hope this obviates any confusion that your advice has created.

LOL, 4 weeks ago I was getting 34.25 from an ATM in Sosua, and the rate is even better now than when I was taking out $$$

Hello, Usually Vimenca has better exchange rate from Canadian to pesos. 1 CAD x 33 RD.
Hola,
This may be a stupid question...
Just to save a little time on day one of my trip, instead of hunting for an atm for pocket pesos, can i get pesos at my local bank here in Canada and bring them to the DR ? If so how much is allowed
Gracias

LTSteve, you realize you are arguing over 2 pesos per dollar. I'd have no qualms doing it just for convenience sake as per Art's question.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't get it(?). Can someone please explain exactly what problems and hassles you are having exchanging money at the airports? I've flown into every airport in the DR except El Catey - probably 50 times in the last 15 years, mostly into SDQ and POP.

How can buying money online and picking it up at your bank in Canada be less of a hassle than changing your money at an airport cambio, or walking up to an ATM machinein the airport and withdrawing cash? I haven't had the need to change money at the airport for awhile now - has something changed?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mob-rouser

Nothing better to do.....him.

Don' bother jousting...
The OP was clear....to save a little time, can I get pesos in Canada...

Easy question calls for an easy answer.... which was given.

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Nothing better to do.....him.

Don' bother jousting...
The OP was clear....to save a little time, can I get pesos in Canada...

Easy question calls for an easy answer.... which was given.

That's my question and the OP's question. How is going on line, filing out all the req'd info, going to the bank to pick up your money, time-saving or any faster than walking up to a cambio window or sticking your card into an ATM machine and withdrawing your money?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Some here argue that the rate is sufficiently off to warrant not using them.

Either do it at the airport or before you arrive..... pretty simple.

Personally, if I can shop from an armchair, I will.
No language issues, they ship the money to you...

Not unusual these days , s
sears and Macy's are closing stores over a lack of foot traffic*

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
That's my question and the OP's question. How is going on line, filing out all the req'd info, going to the bank to pick up your money, time-saving or any faster than walking up to a cambio window or sticking your card into an ATM machine and withdrawing your money?

Because as Canadians we're driven by one thing. Beer. Time spent changing money after getting off the plane is wasted beer drinking time. If the cambio or ATM served beer while we are waiting for our pesos that would be a different story.

:classic: mob

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Are you referring to the "Chains, chains" guys (as Derfish calls them) that hang around in the street? If so, why never change money with them? I've used them a couple of times in Sosua for smallish amounts when in a hurry and they haven't been too bad.

They don't give as good of a rate and sometimes will make a "mistake" in counting out the money. I also think it isn't good for the ladrones (lot's of motor concho drivers hanging around that part of Sosua) to see your cash. If you at the 2 popular spots for them in Sosua just walk past the little Playero and after the pharmacy there is a good, safe place to change money. They have the exchange rates posted.
No, i have no vested interest in that business.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Only tried a couple, but ATM has always given me a better rate than them, could have something to do with my bank in Canada also?

I have never found a Bank/ATM that was close to them. Maybe if you are using Scotia bank? and you are Canadian they give a better exchange. From my experience the best exchange given was Santa Cruz.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
LTSteve, you realize you are arguing over 2 pesos per dollar. I'd have no qualms doing it just for convenience sake as per Art's question.

No it is not 2 pesos. If you exchange Canadian dollars for rdpesos in Canada the bank is going to charge you an exchange fee which could be as high as 9 % on your money so it makes no sense to do it this way. I realize that the rdpeso per dollar isn't much different. It is the associated fees the banks are taking that cost you money. It is the same at the exchange kiosk at SDQ. They charge you a high service fee to exchange dollars to pesos.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Save the hassle and obtain the pesos before you leave. Exchange rates are the same in Canada as there or pretty close. What difference does 1 or 2 % make on such a small amount of money. Also there is not service change and the pesos will even be delivered to your home if you choose.
This is the rate as of right now for ordering DOP online - Exchange Rate
1 CAD = 33.557047 DOP

We're getting various reports on rates ......

Home delivery, no fee transactions

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
LOL, 4 weeks ago I was getting 34.25 from an ATM in Sosua, and the rate is even better now than when I was taking out $$$

You can also order DOP online and pick up the pesos at the branch 2 or 3 days later. You can get a mixture of bills or all large or all small. Even got a bunch of 20 pesos bills. Unused bills fresh and clean, unlike the dirty one's in circulation in the D.R.
Saves time and hassle from changing after you arrive. Minimum amount to order is $300. CIBC is the bank that offers this, and no service charge.

A bit more info on Cdn banks

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We can go round and round on this subject. If you go back to the original post, the gentleman asked if he could go to his local bank in Canada and exchange Cndollars for rdpesos? In this scenario he will be charge a service fee by the bank. You can find many alternatives to this, but that is not what he asked.

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
No service charge, no curious eyes :devious: fresh bills, small denominations or any mixture you choose.
Exchange Rate
1 CAD = 33.670034 DOP - January 18,2017
no looking over your shoulder as you walk away. only makes sense unless you enjoy using ATM's.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
We can go round and round on this subject. If you go back to the original post, the gentleman asked if he could go to his local bank in Canada and exchange Cndollars for rdpesos? In this scenario he will be charge a service fee by the bank. You can find many alternatives to this, but that is not what he asked.

I was charged ZERO service charge. Many others have also stated this.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
No it is not 2 pesos. If you exchange Canadian dollars for rdpesos in Canada the bank is going to charge you an exchange fee which could be as high as 9 % on your money so it makes no sense to do it this way. I realize that the rdpeso per dollar isn't much different. It is the associated fees the banks are taking that cost you money. It is the same at the exchange kiosk at SDQ. They charge you a high service fee to exchange dollars to pesos.
I have no idea what Canadian bank you use, but both mine do not charge to exchange Cdn dollars. Today's rate 32.467 at RBC; 32.362 at CIBC. You are arguing over 2 pesos.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have no idea what Canadian bank you use, but both mine do not charge to exchange Cdn dollars. Today's rate 32.467 at RBC; 32.362 at CIBC. You are arguing over 2 pesos.

It's 35.33 at Banco Central today. You're talking about 3 pesos and that's almost a 10% "hit" on your exchange.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I went to Canada a few months ago, and back at POP I exchanged some CAD at the cambio inside, by the baggage claim area. Sorry, Can't recall exactly how much the rate was, but It was good.