bus crash on veron-higuey road

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I don't always agree with HUG, but I do now. Some of these buses have WiFi, but no functioning tire monitoring system. After every bus accident (this is not the first, or the last) the drivers get scared and start to think, slow down and drive "normal". When the two day memory is full it's back to square one, maniacs on the road, idiots behind the steering wheel. I believe the bus had a flat tire, after the accident.

RIP

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Drive time log?!?!? Beers during lunch?!?!? There may well have been an open and half-consumed beer bottle next to the driver.

US safety standards don't cut it here. It eats into "productivity" even when working someone to the bone. Anyone who expresses a concern may well find themselves off the schedule in favor of someone with fewer concerns to voice.

May 5, 2007
I don't always agree with HUG, but I do now. Some of these buses have WiFi, but no functioning tire monitoring system. After every bus accident (this is not the first, or the last) the drivers get scared and start to think, slow down and drive "normal". When the two day memory is full it's back to square one, maniacs on the road, idiots behind the steering wheel. I believe the bus had a flat tire, after the accident.

RIP

I have noted a "tube" that goes to center of wheel on most busses, thought maybe it was a central tire monitor

May 5, 2007
I doubt any functioning system would ever be maintained in DR. I myself have been in a coach when a tyre has blown, on the route from Santo Domingo to PUJ. I also was in a GuaGua when the tyre blew on the route from La Caleta to Juan dolio. I have also had car tyres blow out on me a few times on Las Americas (alright, so I pay RD800 for new tyre, but not the point), and in each occasion the main effect is the noise well before any handling problems. People have this understanding that real life blow outs are like they are in the movies, or on a 200MPH F1 race. The reality is that is isn't, a tyre blow out is extremely rare to cause massive handing upset at speeds below 100MPH under normal conditions.
Too many movies, too much bu11sh1t.
Your tyre blows out you simply slow down wondering what you've hit and within 3 or 4 seconds hear the tyre flapping against the bodywork and then pull over and wait for a moto passing by. In every case a moto has come to the rescue as there are no spare tyres that are not already in use in DR, that is obligatory!

Don't know if each system on each bus functions, was curious if they had them is all

A blow out on a bus that has a high front weight bias to begin with is far different from a 4 door sedan

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Don't most of those vehicles have a tire monitoring or pressure system?

most of those Busses used for employees transportation of the Resorts, are Blue Birds and Yellow Busses from the USA, from the 60's and 70's, the old school busses not safe enough to ride a US Highway, sent to the caribbean.
those old vehicles never had any tyre pressure monitoring systems or such, and such system would not make the slightest difference, because the stupid driver would still drive the stupid race driver way.
never ever was a tyre failure the cause for such accident, it is always the excessive speed in a big and unsafe and unmaintained heavy vehicle and the pure ignorance of the azzholes which the drivers are.
i can't count how often i've been just a few inches/ a fraction of a second away from getting sent to helll by such busses and their ridiculous driving style, during the last 20 years.
they are criminals and after such accidents should be handled exactly as such, as criminals who Killed innocent people.
and the next ones, after the drivers, to take in, are the owners. zero maintenance, those busses run til something significant break's down. simple stuff like the brakes on one wheel is not considered significant and no reason to take a vehicle off it's shedule.

Mike

May 5, 2007
most of those Busses used for employees transportation of the Resorts, are Blue Birds and Yellow Busses from the USA, from the 60's and 70's, the old school busses not safe enough to ride a US Highway, sent to the caribbean.
those old vehicles never had any tyre pressure monitoring systems or such, Mike

OK, the answer to my question is that the tube that runs from? to the center of each wheel hub has nothing to do with tire monitoring?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
OK, the answer to my question is that the tube that runs from? to the center of each wheel hub has nothing to do with tire monitoring?

you are talking about the modern busses in use on the routes like StDgo-Bavaro or the Metro and Caribe Tours Busses.
would you expect the hotel employees to ride that comfy???
they are transported in 50 years old ex-american school busses, in metal crap on wheels which did not get any maintenance shedule since DECADES, since they arrived here on the Island.
of course the tubes going to the middle of the wheels of the modern busses are for automatic tyre pressure regulation, but 5 decades ago no such bus was equipped with such system.
it would not have lasted that long anyways here in the hands of lunatic criminals, used as drivers.

Mike

May 5, 2007
you are talking about the modern busses in use on the routes like StDgo-Bavaro or the Metro and Caribe Tours Busses.
would you expect the hotel employees to ride that comfy???
they are transported in 50 years old ex-american school busses, in metal crap on wheels which did not get any maintenance shedule since DECADES, since they arrived here on the Island.
of course the tubes going to the middle of the wheels of the modern busses are for automatic tyre pressure regulation, but 5 decades ago no such bus was equipped with such system.
it would not have lasted that long anyways here in the hands of lunatic criminals, used as drivers.

Mike

It really was a simple question

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
It really was a simple question

i know.
and the answer wasn't complicated neither.
i really enjoy to take the Bus between Punta Cana and the Capital instead of driving myself.
during the bus ride i work on the internet and answer my e-mails, no pressure to be back home on the computer quick, not missing out on work. those busses are modern, comfy, for myself very fine.
and then there are the employee busses, the complete opposite.
many dozen times they scared the crap out of me due the way they come flying towards myself or the way they come from behind on the other lane(when just one lane is there for that direction's traffic) trying to pass you, even that traffic conditions/situation demands to slow down.
2 different worlds of busses

Mike

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
New photo on Facebook in this crash:

photo.php

May 5, 2007
i know.
and the answer wasn't complicated neither.
i really enjoy to take the Bus between Punta Cana and the Capital instead of driving myself.
during the bus ride i work on the internet and answer my e-mails, no pressure to be back home on the computer quick, not missing out on work. those busses are modern, comfy, for myself very fine.
and then there are the employee busses, the complete opposite.
many dozen times they scared the crap out of me due the way they come flying towards myself or the way they come from behind on the other lane(when just one lane is there for that direction's traffic) trying to pass you, even that traffic conditions/situation demands to slow down.
2 different worlds of busses

Mike

Mike, I'm sure you felt it was a "simple answer" interspersed with you commentary and opinions of transit workers, a clear concise answer would have been something like :"Hey ID, two types of busses here, the junk that shuttles employees does not have monitoring, the more luxurious Caribe Tours do' Hope that helps :glasses:

In any matter, thanks for info, figured it out

Beside, my Bears may pull out a miracle tonight, might I say Up by 4 with 3 mins to go and have possession at Chi 40 and I graduated from water to clear broth after 15 days Life is good :ermm:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Don't most of those vehicles have a tire monitoring or pressure system?

I always thought those were "Speed Limit Control" units on the Metro and Caribe buses. Used to set the maximum speed they can travel.

News of the crash from Fox News

The World Health Organization said in 2013 that the Dominican Republic had the world's second-worst mortality rate from road accidents, with 41.7 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I have noted a "tube" that goes to center of wheel on most busses, thought maybe it was a central tire monitor

No, not related. A tyre monitoring system is installed in the tyre (a wireless valve monitor) itself. you can not tell if a vehicle has one installed externally. But these also need regular maintenance otherwise as good as useless.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Fall upon deaf ears

This accident is tragic as they all are.

Inaction speaks louder than words. The poor transit safety environment of service industry employees and the public sadly is not going to change soon, if at all. The lack of any proactive safety program, to include proper vehicle maintenance and driver education, is a passive unspoken agenda by the purchasers (hoteliers) of employee transport and the bus owners to keep operation costs down. It could be reasonably surmised any suggestions, if any, to improve bus safety fall upon the deaf ears of the industry and government. The industry ears have to maintain the bottom line to maximize profits at the expense of employee and public safety. The historic resigned behavior of the employees to the status quo speaks loudly through the forced silence that any calls to bring change is at minimum will jeopardize their ride and at maximum job security. It is shut up and put up.

If this country were not so poor and if there was a deficit in the available pool of hospitality industry employees you could expect the industry would be offering ?safe? reliable employee transport as a work enticement . Unfortunately this is not the case.

How many more deaths and injury will bring about change? How many more hearts will be broken?

PJT will now get down off his soapbox.

Regards,
PJT

May 5, 2007
May 29, 2006
The number I heard yesterday was 11 killed. They showed an open coffin on TV and the berived sobbing as they ID'd their loved ones in the hospital. I had thought until now it was two gua guas.

May 29, 2006
NY has continous rumble strips on the lane markers for most of the state now. Makes it very clear when you hit the center line or shoulder, but you can still pass.