Buying a Car

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Good luck Bill. I'm in the same boat. Either going to go to PP or SD to buy one. I'm looking for a small SUV, 2009 or later, 15k or so.

Let me know if you see anything. CRV, Rav4, Escape, etc.

forget POP...save yourself a trip. i sent you a pm..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Good luck Bill. I'm in the same boat. Either going to go to PP or SD to buy one. I'm looking for a small SUV, 2009 or later, 15k or so.

Jump on here....
He's working on my case.....
easy to double up.....

Care for a Suzuki XL7... 2009..... 50,000mi?
AWD, full stuff
He's knows about it - G does

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The difference? It ain't a porsche or bimmer. Its a stinkin KIA! Put me in a MAN's car, not some souped up rice-burner.

I owned a Beemer, a 2007 525xi, I bought used with 32,000 miles on it - I thought I was stylin' but they are just OK to drive - but I felt nothing that special, and ghastly expensive to fix, which after 80,000 miles became all-too-frequent.

I would rather spend half and drive a KIA and spend rest on several nice vacations.
Never owned a Porsche and couldn't afford one now - but one German car was enough to convince me they are over-hyped.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not sure a "bargain" can be had at a dealer regardless of where the dealer is. "Bargains" usually come from a private owner.

Dealers are usually more expensive because they offer a service: you don't have to run all around looking at individual cars. Larger dealers rely on reputation to support their large overheads and usually focus on later model cars, which tend to be in better condition and also cost more. They usually wholesale poorer trade-in vehicles to second and third tier dealers.

This is true whether in the US or DR.

Armed with consumer data, personal knowledge of machines and how they work, local price trends and with a subscription to a CarFax type service, you can find that "bargain" by yourself.

If you don't have any of the above the chances are great you'll not find that "bargain."

I suspect PlayaCaribe2 can offer insights because he counts several credible Dominican car dealers as his clients.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I owned a Beemer, a 2007 525xi, I bought used with 32,000 miles on it - I thought I was stylin' but they are just OK to drive - but I felt nothing that special, and ghastly expensive to fix, which after 80,000 miles became all-too-frequent.

I would rather spend half and drive a KIA and spend rest on several nice vacations.
Never owned a Porsche and couldn't afford one now - but one German car was enough to convince me they are over-hyped.

I had the BMW wagon -- hated it... blew it off at a loss..... hated it
CD player was above the rear wheel - skipped all the time

Eyeballed a porsche Cayenne once,,.....
The service dept at the local F-M dealer nixed it... saying look at the Jeep.
Same HP, Hemi, less service(brakes are $20+).... save about $30-40,000

I took the advice.......$42,000 loaded May 2012

Use these guys in the USA
http://www.authorityauto.com/articles-edmunds

Armchair shopping

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At a dealer you might get

1 yr guarantee....better selection... less walkin'/talkin'.... ease of transfer

I'll pay for that

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Moca has some big boys, like Turin, and a few others. they have good cars, but they are no bargain. the other guys that line the main drag are a waste of time..

Coincidentally, Turin was one of the car dealers I was at in Moca the last time I was looking for a car. They had some very nice cars, but no bargins for sure. Then again, I don't think you'll find any bargains in general at most car dealers and, if you don't know what price you should be paying, it will cost you even more.

If you're going to buy from a dealer, it helps to have a recommendation. The best deals can usually be had from expats who are moving back and "fire -selling" everything they have.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If you're going to buy from a dealer, it helps to have a recommendation. The best deals can usually be had from expats who are moving back and "fire -selling" everything they have.
We bought our current SUV from a Dominican who imported it several years ago almost new and were moving back to the states.

A "bargain."

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Something went wrong above -- sorry.

Meant to tell ljmesg to talk to gorgon....w/ the 1st 2 items

and the third was a response BuMmerWs....BuMWads
hate them ..... and the horse they rode in on

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I had the BMW wagon -- hated it... blew it off at a loss..... hated it
CD player was above the rear wheel - skipped all the time

Eyeballed a porsche Cayenne once,,.....
The service dept at the local F-M dealer nixed it... saying look at the Jeep.
Same HP, Hemi, less service(brakes are $20+).... save about $30-40,000

I took the advice.......$42,000 loaded May 2012

Use these guys in the USA
http://www.authorityauto.com/articles-edmunds

Armchair shopping
Well I had a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee which at 105,000 miles developed electrical issues no one could solve and the AC went out. Sold it to a friend on a payment plan - he thought he could fix it. Never did and never finished paying me either.
But I love the ride of the Jeep and hear the newer models are more reliable, so I hope you have better luck than me.
And yes if you can afford the gas at the DR prices a Hemi is a boy's dream motor.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I'm fiddling at this point...

I ahver spoken to him before but never when in the market

Plus -- I have a trade

looking for a car for my daughter. I nearly bought two but one had excessive timing chain wear and the other a transmission issue.
Both cars drove perfect and I would have bought one if I did not get them checked on a computer read out device.
If you buy a used car without a computer to check it you are rolling the dice.
Especially true in he DR where all the used cars are rolled back odometers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well I had a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee which at 105,000 miles developed electrical issues no one could solve and the AC went out. Sold it to a friend on a payment plan - he thought he could fix it. Never did and never finished paying me either.
But I love the ride of the Jeep and hear the newer models are more reliable, so I hope you have better luck than me.
And yes if you can afford the gas at the DR prices a Hemi is a boy's dream motor.

The new ones (mine) cut back to 4 cyl on the highway...pretty good mileage.
It’s in NoAmerica...gas no issue and very reliable so far at 50,000 miles 

He’s sellin* my Suzuki...talk to him if you want

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
No longer true since CarFax has been embedded into the Dominican lexicon.

Notice how the number of used car lots advertising a CarFax check are growing.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
looking for a car for my daughter. I nearly bought two but one had excessive timing chain wear and the other a transmission issue.
Both cars drove perfect and I would have bought one if I did not get them checked on a computer read out device.
What computer read out tells of timing chain wear?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Vegamovil - good reputation, at least locally and large selection. They have I belive dealerships in Santiago, La Vega, and San Franciso de M.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

that is exactly why i have invested in an onboard diagnostic computer, which can check all kinds of fun things, like the ABS, the airbag system, and the engine, i also ordered, just today, a meter which will check the electricals, to tell me how much battery is left, if it has dead cells, how well the alternator is charging, and how well the starter is cranking. those things help..

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We had a 2000 Jeep GC LDT loaded with everything. Under U.S. $45K back then. Tow and off road packages plus. Bought and mostly in the garage in the U.S. until we could bring it down with no customs. Big V8 and she had lots of get up and go and with the packages had heavy duty everything with the frame was reinforced with them. Loved that car but with the years she started to have problems and was spending more and more time at the mechanics in the Sosua area or in Santiago. As every car does with wear and time. Our mechanic found a buyer that paid cash in U.S. $ and we were happy.

We looked the S.D. a few years ago for a Jeep that was similar and found a couple at the dealer. U.S. sticker price was around U.S. $45K. They started off asking $75K. We walked.

Talked to our trusted mechanic and he started bringing Jeeps to our home. One being a 1 year, 2013, old Jeep Overland that with a 6.2 Hemi, tow and off road package and other things and was even the color that we wanted. Even with the larger engine the giddy up is a little slower. Lots of neat stuff but most we don't use. Getting in/out we need the side foot rails since it sits much higher but does have an air suspension that we can raise/lower it but have to remember to push the down button before anyone opens a door. The outside sections of the front seats are already cracking. U.S. sticker would have been just under U.S. $50K new... I think? We paid more then that here but we felt a fair price. The car is OK but I'm not in love. Resale here should be rather good. Less then 30K miles on it and garage kept.

We like the heavy duty, reinforced frame and the H.P. So many times we have been very happy that we went with the mid-sized SUV that does what we want it to do when we want it. And at times, we demand a lot.

I looked on the web at new Jeeps, 2018, that we might like and see the suggested U.S. prices are from $60 to 85K. What the ????!

Not much chance to go tire kicking here in the D.R. so we are a little behind in knowing what the different SUVs really look like, how they drive, options and prices. Looking and reading tells us stuff but seeing, touching, hearing and driving is what is needed for a side by side comparison. So we will take a couple of days extending a layover in Miami to .... go kick tires of several brands.

Also need to look at how the import laws have changed and if worth going that way.