Buying gasoline in DR question

Jan 9, 2004
Currently on the east coast regular gasoline is $216.00RD per gallon. Hasn't been 187 in a very long time.

Regular is currently 210.20 as was just posted.

For the op:

Gasoline prices are set on Fridays and the new price is posted at the pump on Saturday. There is no price competition in the DR.

That having been said, pay in pesos and avoid the risk of cloning/fraud.

Many, not all, credit card companies will block usage in countries like the DR..........because of rampant fraud issues. If you intend to use one in the DR, best to let your credit card company know in advance.........so you do not end up with an unwanted block.

God luck with your trip...........and if you are renting a vehicle, there are a whole host of do's and don'ts that members can chime in on.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I should have waited. I filled up Friday and it was 216 at the Total station in Bavaro.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Once you get out of the 'Gyp Joints' aka Sosua & Cabarete
you will have little to no scamming problems.

Once in 9 yrs have I been short changed.

Order what you want... pay cash or card . ... watch the pump

Not too frightening.

Lots of gas stations....you'll never buy the bottles

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Once you get out of the 'Gyp Joints' aka Sosua & Cabarete
you will have little to no scamming problems.

Once in 9 yrs have I been short changed.

Order what you want... pay cash or card . ... watch the pump

Not too frightening.

Lots of gas stations....you'll never buy the bottles

Unless it is a cerveza he wants, although I personally do not condone drinking and driving.

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
listin diario helpfully gives gas prices on its website, they change weekly. currently it lists regular petrol at 210.20 pesos.

note the number 829 688 1000 which is dominican road assistance. available around DR, free of charge. they help drivers with small issues, can change tires and carry some gas they give away - enough to move the vehicle to the nearest gas station.

Cool!!! Thanks!!!

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Regular is currently 210.20 as was just posted.

God luck with your trip...........and if you are renting a vehicle, there are a whole host of do's and don'ts that members can chime in on.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I would love to hear of a few do's and don'ts please!!

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
I use my Dominican CC to fill up and within 10 minutes of using it, usually less time, I get a text asking me if I used it as sush and such location and business. I have never been ripped off in 5 years of doing this. I never ask them to fill it up, I always ask for a specific amount in pesos.

Same here....never had a problem using my cc/dc cards....

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Where I live we have no petrol station but it is sold in beer bottles. You order how many beer bottles you want and as they just pour it into the tank without a pump with a long nozzle, they have a stick to push the flap open that covers the hole the petrol goes in.

Remember to check if your car is diesel (gasoil) or petrol (gasolina) and remember you can buy two sorts of petrol, expensive and regular so you have to ask for which you want.

Matilda

Love your story....just curious were do they get the gas they put in the beer bottles....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I use my Dominican CC to fill up and within 10 minutes of using it, usually less time, I get a text asking me if I used it as sush and such location and business. I have never been ripped off in 5 years of doing this. I never ask them to fill it up, I always ask for a specific amount in pesos.

This guy does not have a Dominican Card.

Jan 9, 2004
I would love to hear of a few do's and don'ts please!!

Unless you have been recommended to a specific agency.......stay with the major recognized brands.

Do buy the glass and tire optional insurance.

Do take photos of your entire vehicle before you exit the rental agency.

Do use a credit card..........likely the only time I will recommend that.........and check to see what coverage(s) they provide..............some are far better than others.

Note that some will NOT offer coverage in certain countries........check first.

Also note that should you have an accident involving personal injury..............no credit card company that I am aware of covers that liability.

Also, certain cars and vans are excluded from credit card coverage..............again check with your credit card company.

Coverage is also limited as to duration of time...on some cards between 15-30 days.

And if they do cover you and you have an accident............you will be required to submit a police report.........and that could be a lengthy process...............so you might want to have enough funds available...........if you are involved in an accident, because you likely will not be allowed to leave the country until you or someone else has paid for the damage.......or the rental company is more than reasonably certain they are going to get paid...............which is why I suggest sticking with the major globally recognized rental companies.

And there is more...........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Love your story....just curious were do they get the gas they put in the beer bottles....

You see this all the time.

Little houses selling beer bottles or bigger on the roadside 
Not that cheap but good in a pinch 

Mostly seen in outlying areas... like Matilda’s

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You see this all the time.

Little houses selling beer bottles or bigger on the roadside 
Not that cheap but good in a pinch 

Mostly seen in outlying areas... like Matilda’s

I do see it often. I’m also always amazed that someone doesn’t steal it, I never see anyone around 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hay Gasolina!

While point of sale credit card fraud does happen, for foreigners using credit cards drawn on foreign banks, the vast majority of the fraud is perpetrated at the credit card clearing centers in Santo Domingo. All the information one needs to clone a card or make online transactions is presented the screen when the initial transaction is posted. Foreign credit cards are preferred because the chances of any sort of meaningful investigation are remote. Not so with Dominican issued cards.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

They go to the gas station I assume on their motorbikes. I always fill up with beer bottles as nearest gas station is like 20 kms away. It is 50 pesos a bottle, and I know how many bottles I need to get me around the village lol.

Matilda

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
We are Canadian, using a CND credit card and we have notifications set up as well. We get a text within minutes of the charge. Very handy in preventing fraud.

I agree your bank is on the ball. But I find it just as handy to reach in my pocket and pay.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There are a couple of schools of thought.... cash or credit

Personally, I go cash mostly but DR Debit and US Credit at times ....

My only problem was years ago (2008) at a car rental in SDQ
They wrote the card down by hand... I'm smarter now

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi,

thanks for the quick response.
Just trying to cut down the amount of cash that I carry.
So. looking online, gas is 187.85 RD$ per gallon, So I would need to carry about $2000-2200 or so for a 3/4 tank fill for 10 - 12 gallons.

Use pesos to pay for your gas. DO NOT use a credit card. These places are prime locations to keep a copy of your credit card slip and use your information illegally. Again, when you go to a gas station get out of the car and watch the attendant reset the pump before he starts filling your tank. You will get ripped off if you don't pay attention. Good luck and good travels.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's all electronic now Steve....
they hand you the terminal... you input your PIN and get a receipt.

Can't use any info from that receipt... no card details on it.

The old days were different.... everywhere