Buying gasoline in DR question

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When traveling off the major tourism destinations or urban areas you will need cash/pesos for many purchases, including buying arts and crafts from small vendors or fruit from fruit stalls. Go for a fresh coconut water out of the coconut on the road!. For all else... credit cards are best so you travel with less cash. If you need an ATM, use one of these at major shopping malls or stores or the banks themselves.

Better to fill up in a major tourism destination or city and not in a rural area gas station.

As advice has been given... take the local car insurance coverage, despite having coverage on your credit card.

Use Waze for driving here. Google Maps as a back up. Dominicans use Waze domestically a lot and it works well with few exceptions.

Leave very early for all your travels to take advantage of the full day.

If you will be on the road, suggest you buy a pre-paid Internet plan available from Claro or Altice. You want to be connected when on the road.

Why do you like Waze better than Google maps Dolores?

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
If you will be on the road, suggest you buy a pre-paid Internet plan available from Claro or Altice. You want to be connected when on the road.

What would a local sim with data cost in the DR at a store in Puerto Plata?
My GPS is crappy for the DR.

Thinking I can pop in a local SIM card with prepaid data into my Samsung S7...Possible?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
And for me I will put down the cash and also sip my wine and Zambuca without waiting for Emails and checking on the internet.

I can't reply to this right now, I'm busy buying my airline tickets to Thailand with my free miles.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Google maps allows you to download your trip when you do have an internet connection and then use it without an internet connection.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Google maps allows you to download your trip when you do have an internet connection and then use it without an internet connection.

Does Location work without an internet connection? I've never even noticed.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does Location work without an internet connection? I've never even noticed.

Yes it does if you have a phone with GPS. Works exactly the same. The GPS on your phone is what gives location, not your internet data.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The UBER drivers in NYC flip between Waze and Google

Waze updates constantly... maybe too frequently, they told me

Both are good
My friend swears by Waze here

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Thinking I can pop in a local SIM card with prepaid data into my Samsung S7...Possible?

As per my experience, best coverage with Claro, prepaid SIM card with which you can activate the data amount you wish, purchase price 100 DOP. As far as I've seen, the SIM cards come in every format they come abroad, the only question for compatibility is whether your phone is unlocked or not...

If you have any other devices you wish you use internet with, just turn on the hotspot...

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
As per my experience, best coverage with Claro, prepaid SIM card with which you can activate the data amount you wish, purchase price 100 DOP. As far as I've seen, the SIM cards come in every format they come abroad, the only question for compatibility is whether your phone is unlocked or not...

If you have any other devices you wish you use internet with, just turn on the hotspot...

Thinking this will be my best option.
My phone will have calls and data available, but it is a work phone and my data will only be a 250 meg, 100 mins and 200 texts.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...the safest way to use a cc or debit card to get cash in the DR, that I have found is to go to your bank and use a teller...until about a month ago...my own Popular bank said NO a few weeks ago, I called all other banks...the same. no large cash off of debit cards even with a account and cedula. passport ect...anybody know about this...using their atm every day for a small amount is in my case is not a option....Doc.....

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

I do it all the time. Just make sure that your phone is unlocked.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have been dealing with this for a couple of months now. I think it is because they can charge you a fee via the machine in the wall and cannot charge you at the teller. Banco Santa Cruz still let's me wield my credit card with gusto for cash at the teller, but for how much longer I do not know.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I stopped putting cash in my accounts because the banks seemed to siphon it off in fees at a rate proportional to how much was in there. :)

macorisano

Oct 4, 2013
Make sure you look at the pump before and after they pump the gas. Some of them will try to rip you off. One time I told the guy 1000 pesos and he only put in 700 thinking I wouldn't notice. When I called him out on it he just smiled and pumped the other 300 in.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sky's system for buying gas. Get out of the car, tell him full, stand there, and when it stops take over the pumping myself until I hit the amount I want to stop at. Usually I have the windows cleaned while this is happening and I leave an amount for tip in the price. Like 1870 I would pay 1900 rd.