Cabanas, best and worst

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Please enlighten us.

Considering it is a city of over 2.5 million, I have not seen that many in reality.

San Isidro is the biggest concentration to my knowledge followed by 30 de Mayo/Luperon. There are a few around Carrefour. A couple around Mega Centro, a few along Autopista Las Americas and I've heard of a couple in Herrera, one in Villa Mella and not much more.

Now drive along Autopista Duarte to Santiago and you will see plenty from near Bonao onwards. Equally drive west on Sanchezfrom Santo Domingo to Azua and you see many too.

Compare that with an absolute dearth in all the tourist resort areas and one quickly realizes cabanas basically serve the normal Dominicans in their matters of dating and affairs.

There are at least ten caba?as just off Ave. M?ximo G?mez from the Cementerio Nacional to just above Plaza Lama.

There's one on Ave. Hermanas Mirabal in El Torito, four on Ave. Charles de Gaulle between Hermanas Mirabal and the Rio Ozama. There's one in Sabana Perdida at the the corner of Calle La Victoria and Ave. Las Restaudores.

There are at least three on the Ave. San Vincente de Paul, one just east of the Sanchez Bridge and two near the Calle Puerto Rico and Calle Bonaire.

There's one on Calle Duarte catty corner to the northwest of the Centro Antirabico.

There's one on Ave. 27 de Febrero between Ave. Privada and APEC.

There are two or three on the Ave. Isabel Aguilar in Herrera just south of Plaza Lama.

There are four on the Ave. Los Beisbolistas between the Espresso John F. Kennedy and the Prolongaci?n 27 de Febrero.

Just to scratch the surface.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There are at least ten caba?as just off Ave. M?ximo G?mez from the Cementerio Nacional to just above Plaza Lama.

There's one on Ave. Hermanas Mirabal in El Torito, four on Ave. Charles de Gaulle between Hermanas Mirabal and the Rio Ozama. There's one in Sabana Perdida at the the corner of Calle La Victoria and Ave. Las Restaudores.

There are at least three on the Ave. San Vincente de Paul, one just east of the Sanchez Bridge and two near the Calle Puerto Rico and Calle Bonaire.

There's one on Calle Duarte catty corner to the northwest of the Centro Antirabico.

There's one on Ave. 27 de Febrero between Ave. Privada and APEC.

There are two or three on the Ave. Isabel Aguilar in Herrera just south of Plaza Lama.

There are four on the Ave. Los Beisbolistas between the Espresso John F. Kennedy and the Prolongaci?n 27 de Febrero.

Just to scratch the surface.

You certainly are observant. Makes sense that there is a large number in the Villa Mella area particularly albeit I must have missed their presence when driving north out of the city on Gomez. Useful info for some but not exactly the best places in densely populated and dodgy areas for foreigners to frequent.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
You certainly are observant. Makes sense that there is a large number in the Villa Mella area particularly albeit I must have missed their presence when driving north out of the city on Gomez. Useful info for some but not exactly the best places in densely populated and dodgy areas for foreigners to frequent.

Of the caba?as near M?ximo G?mez not a single one is visible from M?ximo G?mez. You have to know the area. You're right. It's not advisable for say a tourist to look for those places. The safest and best bet are the clusters in San Isidro and Haina at the end of 30 de Mayo. Many have good security.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Of the caba?as near M?ximo G?mez not a single one is visible from M?ximo G?mez. You have to know the area. You're right. It's not advisable for say a tourist to look for those places. The safest and best bet are the clusters in San Isidro and Haina at the end of 30 de Mayo. Many have good security.

You offer good advice. I would add that perhaps the cabanas near Carrefour and on Autopista Las Americas could also be useable by visitors with a degree of security.

In the interior of the north and east of the city it is far from secure especially after dusk.

Interestingly from what I have seen.......and you will know more......there is a lack of cabanas in the central areas such that someone staying on the Malecon, central business zone or ZC will have to travel quite far to visit a cabana. Equally it was known fact when I lived north of Villa Altagracia, that people from that town and those from Pedro Brand had to head into to the city to Carrefour or Herrera for some privacy. I was also told that in the expanse of Los Alcarrizos, there is an absence of cabanas.

Perhaps posting a few google maps as requested by one poster might be helpful.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

The stretch of 30 de Mayo, beginning with "Queen" and ending before the bridge to the toll plaza, always reminds me of a budget Las Vegas strip. :p

Never been in any of them, but if I had a dollar for every time I've passed them.........

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The stretch of 30 de Mayo, beginning with "Queen" and ending before the bridge to the toll plaza, always reminds me of a budget Las Vegas strip. :p

Never been in any of them, but if I had a dollar for every time I've passed them.........

Never passed at night. With the opening of the ring road and having moved to nearby on the Malecon in Miramar, they are on my route out of the city going west or north but don't appear that significant during daytime. I concede to having tried the Uni which is on the right when leaving the city as you go over the fly over.

I believe Cobraboy is recommending one in this location.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
You offer good advice. I would add that perhaps the cabanas near Carrefour and on Autopista Las Americas could also be useable by visitors with a degree of security.

In the interior of the north and east of the city it is far from secure especially after dusk.

Interestingly from what I have seen.......and you will know more......there is a lack of cabanas in the central areas such that someone staying on the Malecon, central business zone or ZC will have to travel quite far to visit a cabana. Equally it was known fact when I lived north of Villa Altagracia, that people from that town and those from Pedro Brand had to head into to the city to Carrefour or Herrera for some privacy. I was also told that in the expanse of Los Alcarrizos, there is an absence of cabanas.

Perhaps posting a few google maps as requested by one poster might be helpful.

Not necessarily true, there are a few that are not mentioned. Barrio china above a restaurant, Hotel Navarro on Independencia
all close to the ZC. couple of other hot bed hotels on Duarte between Mella and Mercedes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Never passed at night. With the opening of the ring road and having moved to nearby on the Malecon in Miramar, they are on my route out of the city going west or north but don't appear that significant during daytime. I concede to having tried the Uni which is on the right when leaving the city as you go over the fly over.

I believe Cobraboy is recommending one in this location.

We rented in Miramar on the malecon for 2 months while our house underwent renovations [not far from Trujillo's monument] - good location, close enough to everything without the craziness of SD traffic, and two good supermarkets.

Yes, sounds like the one CB likes is in that area.

To whoever compared them to the heart-shaped-tubs & champagne-glass tubs in the Poconos, good analogy. Went once with two other couples, 'once' being the operative word.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
We rented in Miramar on the malecon for 2 months while our house underwent renovations [not far from Trujillo's monument] - good location, close enough to everything without the craziness of SD traffic, and two good supermarkets.

Yes, sounds like the one CB likes is in that area.

To whoever compared them to the heart-shaped-tubs & champagne-glass tubs in the Poconos, good analogy. Went once with two other couples, 'once' being the operative word.

I am quite chuffed at finding a quiet place in Miramar close to everything and with a quick get away out of city. Will be much better when the upgrade of Malecon is complete and if the new mayor gets the trucks off the road too.

What this thread is highlighting to me is that not so many DR1 members have used cabanas and perhaps there is a stigma against them, rather than appreciating that they are part of Dominican society and rather unique and indeed worth trying out at least once as a visitor. They are definitely not whore houses under any stretch of the imagination.

From what I have seen, there are so few in tourist zones, and this has perhaps prevented many from trying them out and leave many with a wrong perception.

Guys and gals with a man from Mars or a woman from Venus go try one out.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

We checked each and every one out before choosing the one we did as our "home" in the Capital. Some are mega nice, others kinda blah.

All have similar qualities that must be altered for a more pleasant stay:
  • Sheet (not sheets): paper-thin, no top sheet and who knows who's used them? I once saw one with a CCCCCCCCCCC monogram :cheeky: ;). We now bring our own thick king sheets we put on top of their sheet to prevent contact with the mattress. AND we bring a cotton blanket for the top.
  • Pillows: they have a bunch, but might as well be concrete blocks. So we bring our own and pillow cases. Much better.
  • Towels: like #10 sandpaper. Bring your own. We bring extra large towels.
  • Showerhead: Seems folks steal everything they can and a showerhead is on top of the list. Taking a shower under a tube of water is sub-optimal. So bring your own.
  • AC: Man, those places can get cold because there is no thermostat, only an off-on switch. So I bring a stout piece of signboard, and place it to cover 65-70% of the air entry duct to slow the amount of cold air considerably. Works, and doesn't cause the evaporator to ice up raises room temperature to above refrigerator levels.
  • Extention and gang cord: cabanas have few electrical outlets and we want to charge cell phones, Kindles, a laptop and a coffee maker. And often the plug is in a weird location and only ONE of the two plugs may work. So we bring an extension cord and plug a gang plug into it. Charges everything.
  • Coffee maker: Gotta have morning coffee, so we bring a small 4-cup maker with a box of coffee packets, mugs, creamers, sweetener and bottled water. We have the coffee makers for our tours, but they can be bought inexpensively.
We put those items in a large zippered duffle bag (RD$300 @ La Sirena) with handles that's always ready when we need to go in a hurry.

We also bring a small folding table for some horizontal space for coffee maker, phones, etc., because cabanas don't have much beyond a coffee table, and it's often far from a plug. Easy to put in the back of the SUV along with the cabana bag.

Cabanas don't have closets or a place to hang up clothes beyond a doorknob. So I crafted a sort of hangar hook from a stout clothes hanger with curves in opposing directions. I hang this on the AC outlet---fits firmly---and can hang clothes on the other hook.

We stay in one of the few cabanas who serve "breakfast" as an added feature. While not exactly the breakfast buffet at the Gran Almirante, papas pure with a slice of yellow cheese, a fried egg, a piece of fried cheese and maybe a small glass of OJ works. And often they bring it at the time you requested when you checked in. But maybe not. Once ordered delivery at 8am, and got "the knock" at 6:30am. Grumble. Oh, well...

Most have hot water from a solar heater. Just be aware if you use a lot of hot water at night, you may have a cold shower in the morning.

Also, and this may be just the cabana we stay in. If you check in before 9pm, they charge two four-hour rates for overnight, a total of RD$2000. If you check in after 9pm, the flat rate is $1200. So we make it a point to check in after 9pm and save some decent $$$. Seriously: US$26 for a good, clean, secure hotel room with no lobby hassle or check-in, good security and a simple breakfast room service style? Hard to beat when you plan ahead.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
How true. The bright, colorful lights are a sight to behold at night. We feel kinda "sinful" checking in.

One thing we do is have Alida inspect the room to make sure everything works (AC, electrical, TV and hot water) before driving into the garage and setting up camp.

Sometimes we flag down a worker to ask questions. It's kinda comical, because they are trained for "no eye contact" and are somewhat flummoxed when we want to chat. Their discomfort is obvious unless they've seen us there before.

We like that location because the Malecon moves quickly and you can get almost anywhere fairly well without much congestion, especially gubmint buildings, and Luperon is one of the better streets for avoiding the downtown area from the autopista.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Cabanas don't have closets or a place to hang up clothes beyond a doorknob. So I crafted a sort of hangar hook from a stout clothes hanger with curves in opposing directions. I hang this on the AC outlet---fits firmly---and can hang clothes on the other hook.

The advice you offer is very true from my experience and worth noting.

I have only once come across one cabana with windows and wardrobes and that was the one opposite Playa de los Gringos just east of Nagua. It is actually quite a decent cabana and does work as a cheap hotel too.

Visible on Google Earth below. Think it is called Benidorm.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...a6020f24060df7e0!8m2!3d18.735693!4d-70.162651

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
When the wife and I were in Sosua we checked out the Dulce Secreto. We were just curious to see what a cabana was like. Really cool how it works, the security the garage door the way you order the beer threw the door. I would actually recommend it to any couple on vacation just for some fun!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Don't forget the magic chair with the instruction manual posted on the wall!