Cabanas, best and worst

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The week of semana santa many cabanas near beaches are chock full... families on vacation.

Children riding bikes & playing in the driveway.... a family affair (pun intended)

Good, clean accommodation at a good price.

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
I don't have any experience outside of Puerto Plata, but I have very fond memories of a cabana named Venus. It is pretty close to Lifestyles Resort. I think it used to be called La Roca.

There are a bunch of cabanas near this one but I have had nothing but great experiences there so it was my resort away from AI resort when I needed to play.

Some perks:

Very clean
Anonymous. You drive into the garage, the door closes, nobody sees you. No signing in.
You pay through a turntable in the wall.
They have a decent room service menu with food, drinks... and razors. You also use the turntable for this.
Ice cold A/C
Sex chair
Mirrors on the ceiling.
Nicely decorated rooms with cheetah prints, cool lighting, etc.
Good bathroom with warm water, soap and condoms provided.
It is right across the street from a small, non descript bar where the female bartenders are very flirty and will go with you back to the room. They kiss you and grab you at the bar, making you feel like more than you are.

One time I got stood up by a chica so while I was waiting for her I ended up hanging out outside one of the rooms and talking to one of the kids who worked there. Very nice guy and a hard worker.

For anyone wondering how they keep the place from getting trashed when it is anonymous, they keep the security gates down and don't let you leave until they take a look at the room to make sure all is good.

I would like to know who owns this place. It has no presence online and it was easily as nice as the AI resorts I stayed at. Some rooms even have a private pool. Rumor is it is owned by "the Chinese", but who knows?

I thought the concept of an anonymous and clean "love motel" was brilliant and I wondered why we had none (that I know of in the US). If anyone wants to invest in one with me, let's talk. :squareeye

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There has been some mention of cabanas in recent threads in another forum section but from my recollection it is a subject infrequently mentioned on DR1 of recent times.

Apart from livening up the moderator of this forums recent inactivity, I thought a new thread might give posters an opportunity to vent opinions on these very Dominican institutions, which I personally think are misunderstood.

I post with a modicum of knowledge, having made use of their facilities in various parts of the country particularly during a 30 month period after splitting with my esposa and starting a new monogamous relationship. And I am one of those of the view that one should be cautious inviting a new date back to ones apartment so they work well when dating.

Cabanas serve very well in large part a developing Dominican society living in simple accommodations and offer a safe, secure, private haven for steady and casual relationships to be enjoyed in decent clean surroundings for a small fee with music, movies,drinks and food in places. Now for those that don't get out and around the country and live in fenced communities or tourist destinations and those that visit as tourists, it is a fact that many if not most Dominicans live in quite simple homes. Throughout the country in the country, small villages, towns and the outskirts of the major cities, you will be treated hospitably in the homes of simple block or wood construction with corrugated metal roof and interior walls to 10ft level with cloth doors. And within these confines may live grand-parents, daughters and children with very little privacy. In the cities, and there aren't that many, people rent rooms often sharing with several people or it is a single mother with friends and kids. Of course there are a growing number of better apartments and houses cropping up now but in general there is a significant shortage of good housing throughout the land. There is no privacy for relationships at home for the majority.

Why are they here and not back home? Well think back to home and your past dating. You have motels, you can do it in the car (not a good idea here) or take advantage of parents or friends being out to allow you free time or even have your date back home in the privacy of your sealed room. Is there really a need there?

OK enough said to debate and back to the headline ( and my suggestions may be a few years out of date).

Best cabana:

- a few kilometers north of Piedra Blanca on the south bound carriageway of Duarte. It was newly built about 7 years ago and that showed in its layout, cleanliness and facilities and it was good value with nice new towels.

Worst cabana:

- a toss up between one in Nagua, one in Cotui and one near Cabrera. But Cabrera gets the vote. It is a few miles out of Cabrera on the way to Nagua and was conveniently located near to Playa La Entrada at the time. But it was a small family owned place with just a few rooms with non functional garage doors and leaking noisy a/c's. The Cabrera folk need to make use and seek improvements with their local facilities (WW take note).

As a final comment. Cabanas are to be found all over the country normally on the edges of towns. Santo Domingo has a few cabana cities' but they are spread thin. Most interestingly, from my recollection when driving along the North Coast a few years back, there is I believe only one cabana between Sabaneta and Puerto Plata which strikes me as strange with the huge user base in that area that supposedly use these facilities.

You can check in any time you like, but you can never leave.......