Cabarete and Sosua Election for Mayors

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
He went through the legal process of petitioning the JCE for a recount, which is his legal right, before he appeared on television last night.

The recount started this morning.

Thanks for the clarification - appreciated. How do we know that?

Oct 11, 2010
Thanks for the clarification - appreciated. How do we know that?

I'm assuming you are referring to the recount.

It was first announced by Wilfredo's associates that the recount would begin Thursday, 19 May at 9:00am. Also published on line at sosuadigital.net.

There was NO RECOUNT yesterday, Thursday, 19 May, according to the JCE in Sos?a.

Last night, again, according to Wilfredo's associates, and also broadcast on the television program "Lleg? La Hora" there will be a recount today starting at 8:30am.

As of 11:00am today, I have not been to the JCE office so I'm not sure what is going on. I plan on being in Sos?a in the afternoon and will go over there to see what they are up to.

However this article appeared in diarolibre this morning so things may change, again.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/politica/juntas-electorales-no-pueden-recontar-AA3741543

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
I'm assuming you are referring to the recount.

It was first announced by Wilfredo's associates that the recount would begin Thursday, 19 May at 9:00am. Also published on line at sosuadigital.net.

There was NO RECOUNT yesterday, Thursday, 19 May, according to the JCE in Sos?a.

Last night, again, according to Wilfredo's associates, and also broadcast on the television program "Lleg? La Hora" there will be a recount today starting at 8:30am.

As of 11:00am today, I have not been to the JCE office so I'm not sure what is going on. I plan on being in Sos?a in the afternoon and will go over there to see what they are up to.

However this article appeared in diarolibre this morning so things may change, again.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/politica/juntas-electorales-no-pueden-recontar-AA3741543

Thanks again for the update. So really, it is just Willy group that is saying there will be a recount? Nothing official from JCE it appears.

Looking forward to hearing after you visit JCE. Have a great day

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Thanks again for the update. So really, it is just Willy group that is saying there will be a recount? Nothing official from JCE it appears.

Willllly is just scared that he has to get a REAL job just like everyone else......

My thoughts not yours.......

Oct 11, 2010

I still haven't made it over to the JCE office in Sos?a yet.

Up until now this is what I have personally been told and by whom.

On Thursday I was told by one of Wilfredo's running mates that his legal representative petitioned the JCE in Sos?a and that the recount was being conducted today (meaning Thur, 19 May) .

My last personal visit to the JCE office was yesterday evening, Thurs. 19 May, around 8:30 and I was told at that time there was no recount.

After I left the JCE office I spoke to ANOTHER of Wilfredo's running mates who informed me that tomorrow (meaning today Fri. 20 May) there would be a recount starting at 8:30am. Also broadcast on the television program "Lleg? La Hora" the host of the program stated emphatically that there would be a recount of the municipal vote (B) Fri. 20 May at 8:30am and a recount of the congressional vote (C) Sunday, 22 May.

Hopefully I'll get to the JCE office in a little while and have some more information. Hope this wasn't too confusing.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
I still haven't made it over to the JCE office in Sos?a yet.

Up until now this is what I have personally been told and by whom.

On Thursday I was told by one of Wilfredo's running mates that his legal representative petitioned the JCE in Sos?a and that the recount was being conducted today (meaning Thur, 19 May) .

My last personal visit to the JCE office was yesterday evening, Thurs. 19 May, around 8:30 and I was told at that time there was no recount.

After I left the JCE office I spoke to ANOTHER of Wilfredo's running mates who informed me that tomorrow (meaning today Fri. 20 May) there would be a recount starting at 8:30am. Also broadcast on the television program "Lleg? La Hora" the host of the program stated emphatically that there would be a recount of the municipal vote (B) Fri. 20 May at 8:30am and a recount of the congressional vote (C) Sunday, 22 May.

Hopefully I'll get to the JCE office in a little while and have some more information. Hope this wasn't too confusing.

So basically this is 100% here-say from Willy supporters grasping at straws.

Oct 11, 2010
So basically this is 100% here-say from Willy supporters grasping at straws.

The short answer is yes.

I was at the JCE in Sos?a this morning. The street is still closed but now there is only local Policia Nacional "guarding" the area. Maybe a total of eight.

I spoke with the local JCE president. He informed me that the vote count from the last Bulletin where 100% of the "colegios" were accounted for was the final count.

"THERE WERE NO RECOUNTS".

He showed me a document with all the final totals clearly listed and three signatures, one signature for each delegate of each party, accepting the results as valid and final. The document also was signed by the local JCE president and had the JCE seal affixed to it.

I thanked him for the courtesy of allowing me to view the document and the information and I left. I'm sure we won't be hearing anything from anybody until Monday.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I passed by this morning and the road is now open and there are no longer any police there. Still not sure what the final outcome was though!

Oct 11, 2010
The final local declaration acknowledged and signed by a representative from each party was as follows:

With 100% of the vote counted including revision of disqualified votes and votes "under observation".

Registered voters: 32,494

Valid Votes: 24,147 - 97.37%

Disqualified Votes: 653 - 2.63%

Votes "under observation": 0 - 0%

Total Votes: 24,800 - 76.32%

Ilana Neuman: 10,139 - 41.99%

Wilfredo Olivences: 8,950 - 37.06%

Melania Guzman: 4,936 - 20.44%

The only votes that were "recounted" were the votes that were originally disqualified of which there were a total of 705.
After "reconsidering" the previously disqualified votes 52 votes were added to the candidates' totals.

Ilana Neuman: 20 votes

Wilfredo Olivences: 19 votes

Melania Guzman: 13 votes

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Elected mayor received 31% votes of the total registered voters.... ! (should not ignore those who didn't bother to vote at all.)

ADSS claimed in their letter to President (see Sosuanew.com) that tourism in Sosua and Cabarete is down by 50% (their claim), so ADSS + Ilana policies should help to do another 50% downturn in the next 4 years - good luck.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Elected mayor received 31% votes of the total registered voters.... ! (should not ignore those who didn't bother to vote at all.)

ADSS claimed in their letter to President (see Sosuanew.com) that tourism in Sosua and Cabarete is down by 50% (their claim), so ADSS + Ilana policies should help to do another 50% downturn in the next 4 years - good luck.

While she may agree with them, the plans for Sosua/North Coast are not solely from Mayor Llana.

And the plans below, wouldn't they be great for residents of Sosua and Cab?

ADSS sends congratulatory - pressing letter
The chairman of the foundation ADSSos?a, Mr. Andres Pastoriza, recently sent a congratulatory annex pressing letter to the re-elected President Danilo Medina. Andr?s Pastoriza congratulated the president on his re-election for the presidency for the next four years. He then reminded the president to earlier promises. End of October 2015, after all, the president visited Sos?a and Cabarete where he was informed about the problems Sos?a and Cabarete are faced with.
Andres Pastoriza asked the President for help in fighting prostitution in Puerto Plata, Sos?a and Cabarete. He also asked for the realization of the construction of a public hospital for the Sos?a region, the construction of the shopping plazas at the entrances to the beach of Sos?a, the renovation of the center of Cabarete and the completion of the water treatment plant for wastewater in Cabarete. The chairman also mentioned that tourism in Sos?a and Cabarete deteriorated by 50%. That many hotels have closed their doors and that a recovery plan requires the most urgent attention of the government. All these activities will also create many jobs and generate economic growth for the region. In view of the high level of unemployment among the population this would be a godsend. After his visit the president replied that he takes the problem seriously and that Sos?a and Cabarete have his attention.
Andres Pastoriza closes his letter with a recurrence of his heartfelt congratulations for his resounding victory in the May 15 elections.
See also: Turismo.PDF

http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4467&article=1

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Worrying about prostitution., yea me too. What about the infrastructure. How about fixing a few pot holes, fixing the bottle neck congestion through Cabarete. The beach in Cab has more and more tress and branches washing up onto the sand and they stay there for months. Drainage and sewage in Sosua, WHeeeeooo

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
While she may agree with them, the plans for Sosua/North Coast are not solely from Mayor Llana.

And the plans below, wouldn't they be great for residents of Sosua and Cab?

ADSS sends congratulatory - pressing letter
The chairman of the foundation ADSSos?a, Mr. Andres Pastoriza, recently sent a congratulatory annex pressing letter to the re-elected President Danilo Medina. Andr?s Pastoriza congratulated the president on his re-election for the presidency for the next four years. He then reminded the president to earlier promises. End of October 2015, after all, the president visited Sos?a and Cabarete where he was informed about the problems Sos?a and Cabarete are faced with.
Andres Pastoriza asked the President for help in fighting prostitution in Puerto Plata, Sos?a and Cabarete. He also asked for the realization of the construction of a public hospital for the Sos?a region, the construction of the shopping plazas at the entrances to the beach of Sos?a, the renovation of the center of Cabarete and the completion of the water treatment plant for wastewater in Cabarete. The chairman also mentioned that tourism in Sos?a and Cabarete deteriorated by 50%. That many hotels have closed their doors and that a recovery plan requires the most urgent attention of the government. All these activities will also create many jobs and generate economic growth for the region. In view of the high level of unemployment among the population this would be a godsend. After his visit the president replied that he takes the problem seriously and that Sos?a and Cabarete have his attention.
Andres Pastoriza closes his letter with a recurrence of his heartfelt congratulations for his resounding victory in the May 15 elections.
See also: Turismo.PDF

http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4467&article=1

Yes, it's great, these are being mentioned since the inception of ADSS + Ilana rule, but only on paper, in reality they have made decisions and implemented them and/or pursued those they favor from higher up, so we ended up with where we are now - and that is, well, no better than 5/6 years ago... !

At times it seems, the government, the ministry of tourism, ADSS, mayors, you name it, the rest, all are in harmony and support the same policies. But where is the progress, maybe they should try something else.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Worrying about prostitution., yea me too. What about the infrastructure. How about fixing a few pot holes, fixing the bottle neck congestion through Cabarete. The beach in Cab has more and more tress and branches washing up onto the sand and they stay there for months. Drainage and sewage in Sosua, WHeeeeooo

I agree that infrastructure is important, but the bottle neck in Cabarete has largely been resolved by the introduction of Municipal Police enforcing parking restrictions. Unfortunately, the proposed re-development of the main street was part of the planned by-pass project that was rejected by some locals on environmental grounds, so it may be a long time before that happens. Personally, I find a few logs on the beach quite attractive.

As for Sosua - I agree a general clean-up and drainage improvements long overdue, but I hate the idea of removing the small bars and shops on the beach. The girls are quite picturesque too!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Sometimes I am afraid to fire up a cigar outside cafe cubano, the ignition of methane gas might blow me off Pedro C.

Oct 11, 2010
Looks like a bit of same same really, here and all over the country, hope Willy puts all this behind him and get on with opening some bars and creating jobs and business here and bring some more much needed tourists to get the place going again - if they let him that is.

6 years of going backwards, would it follow by another 6 years of going further back... ! I hope not.

Willy opening a bar or two will not make any significant change in either tourism or employment for Sos?a except for a few blocks on Pedro Clisante. It certainly isn't going "to get the place going again" except for those few blocks.

Again, using the metrics applied to an election in North America or Europe to analyze a candidate's implicit mandate do not apply to this specific election.

As far as "those who didn't bother to vote", Sos?a had a 76% voter turnout, their highest percentage in the JCE's records.

Which of ADSS + Ilana's specific policies contributed to a 50% decline in Sos?a and Cabarete tourism and "should help to do another 50% downturn in the next four years"?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
The biggest industry here in Sosua and Cabarete is tourism. The town had the same problems ten years ago but there were more tourists coming here. The so called fixes the major and whatever are doing correlates with a decline in tourism to the area. Not saying there is a cause or effect relationship... But people here need jobs. There are two large land parcels in Cabarete where the beach and swimmiing is possible and available for large hotel development. If tourism department would allow taller structures, there is room for even better tourist hotels. Electricity and water service could be vastly improved. Whatever is going on with the head of Toursim in Santo Domingo, I hope he switches from what he does not want to doing something to make things happen... It will not take a lot of new tourists arriving here to make a positive impact.