Calling DR from the UK

sarita

May 5, 2005
its 001809 and the number. its been hard to get through recently. i dont use a card but i use a number 08716061111 and then when it tells u to u dial the number u want to call. its charged at 6 pence a minute. good luck

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
calala2k said:
im from uk and when we have been calling our family we have always used 001-809 ***-**** but over the last week it has been hard to get through saying all lines are busy...sorry anna but from uk you use 001 and to uk 001
hope this helps
calala2k

to uk (and the rest of europe) you use 011 :)

louise1182

Jul 10, 2006
phone card

try unitel it cost ?5 and it gives you ?6 of credit. you get about 120 mins to landline and just a little less to mobile. and yes 001 809 is the code.

louise

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
I've not had any problems sending or receiving txts but we are orange to orange, and i put 00 before the 180 number no problems there either. I think its +44 wen u txt from dr to the uk i'll check for you, but again im talking orange to orange.

pbarcacel

May 5, 2005
Free Calls to Dominican Republic from UK

Hi everyone!

Orange UK just launched a new broadband product - Unlimited internet downloads and free calls to 100 international destinations, including Dominican Republic, Peru, Germany, Austria, Mexico, Peru, Costa Rica, Colombia, Austria, etc.

The way it works:you are allowed to talk - continously- for 59 minutes. After this period, you can hang up and redial, and keep on talking. As long as you don't go over the 60 minute period, the call will be free of charge.

The package costs ?19.99 per month, and it also includes free UK calls - anytime.

Overall, it looks like a good package, and for those of you who can't phone DR more often because of the price (currently around 0.05 per minute) and don't want to bother with Skype, this is a very good option.

For more info go to :
Orange - Livebox Wireless Modem

For current Orange/Wanadoo customers (like me) there is a one-off upgrade fee of GBP20, which is not that much compared to the the savings you could potentially make on calls to Latin America. It will take 10 working days for the plan to take effect.

The package also includes a free Wireless Router. It's Inventel make, quite decent. They offer speeds up to 8 meg, but that will very much depend on the location of your house (i.e. how far from the local telephone exchange you are)

Their customer service is not the best one in the world, but I've been with them for 6 months and I haven't died of a heart attack yet ;-)

Just a few notes:

Firstly, these are VoIP calls (voice over IP) meaning that calls go via your Orange wireless router. The only issue with this is that you can't make calls to, let's say, Emergency numbers such as 999, and if your broadband is disconnected for any reason, you wont be able to make calls (this 'should' not happen).

Second, Orange will provide you with a telephone number that starts with 0845 or 0870 (that will be your landline number). This is a NGN (non geographical number) meaning that when your friends phone you, they will be charged between 2p and 8p per minute depending on their provider. The solution to this:I just simply plug the cable to the Orange router when I want to make free calls to DR.
If I want people to phone me on my normal BT line, just simply connect the phone cable to your normal BT socket.
Sounds complicated, but it's actually not :eek:)

3. You will still have to pay GBP 11 to BT for line rental, as the 19.99 price does not include it.

At the end, your total Internet/Phone bill will be roughtly GBP31, depending on how many mobile calls you make (these are not included).

I work in the telecoms industry in the UK, so if my email sounded a bit techy or complicated, email me on pachibarcacel@yahoo.com and I'll try to explain better if needed :eek:)

Hope this helps!

Paola Barcacel.-

Tia Maria

Apr 1, 2008
I'd like to know how to get a text through from the UK to the DR as the texts I send leave my phone but never seem to deliver to the phone in the DR, I'm using correct codes etc but they just never get through, even when I was there sending text to the DR number they werent received. Dos anyone else have this problem or know what can do to fix it?

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
This was a problem with some networks a while back, vodafone and o2 I think, contact your network in the UK, although as far as I am aware all networks were working. The number you are texting should be input as
+1809 xxx xxxx or
+1829 xxx xxxx

?Buena Suerte! :)

AmandaLou

May 27, 2005
Hi there, ready for my two penneth?

When I text my friends in the DR from the UK I use the numbers 001809###etc and they get there, this is from my T-mobile sim card, my orange sim also sends to this but will not recieve the return/reply. To make calls I use my 02 sim as they have a special international call system, one off payment that was ?4.95, not sure of current price then any Int calls are cheaper than other mobile providers in the UK. This was researched a while ago and the prices may have changed but that's how I do it.

As has been said there are often problems actually getting through, sometimes its the system thats busy, other times my friends are in a no signal area, and believe me there are quite a few of them out there.

Cheers Amandalou :bunny:

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
There is a small incompatibility between some UK networks and Dominican ones. When I worked for Orange in the DR I spent an age with the tech guys trying to find out why. Unfortunately numbers of people taking the time in the DR to dial *555 and complain about it are low, and even so the customer *ahem* service reps are scripted they don't know too much.

As for UK networks, I am sur that that people calling complaining they can't text the DR amounts for about 0.000000001% of complaints so they're unlikely to help remedy the problem. They can normally tell you if it's sent.
It's not just the UK either. I had problems texting DR from OZ and Hong Kong too and my friend in Germany who I worked with at Orange has some issues too. Like so many things in the DR, like internet and electricity, it's 50%knowledge 50% luck.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hi folks,
And here is my input.....
Using an Orange "call abroad" Sim card I pay 7p a minute to DR mobiles. Having a few problems with connection recently, but usually very good. I also text a lot and about 1 in every 3 messages seem to arrive. There are days when they all get there and then others when nothing arrives. This usually means sending a text and then phoning to see if they got it!!! I have used telediscount quite a lot but always found the calls to be very distant sounding - with my Orange card it is very clear.

asp44

Jan 22, 2008
Hi. I'm from the UK and regularly call the DR. I've found that the cheapes is through asda (asda call time). If you log onto their website www.asda.co.uk and scroll to the bottom, under "More for you from us" there's a link for Asda Call Time.

The charges are listed as 6p a min landline and 12p a minute mobile but I only seem to get charged 4p for a mobile call. Not sure if this is a mistake but I haven't pointed it out to them. It's really easy to set up, no connection charges or anything, it's a bit like buying a top-up for your mobile but you can either have it on your mobile or landline.

Have a read of the instructions to see what you think. I've found it brilliant and now spend no more than ?15 a month where I was previously spending upwards of ?60.

Sadams

Feb 23, 2007
How to retrieve messages

How do I check my messages from another phone. I know here in the states, after the recording comes on, you just put your pin number in. Can I check my messages on my phone in the Dominican Republic, when I am in the United States with another phone?

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hi asp44

Hi. I'm from the UK and regularly call the DR. I've found that the cheapes is through asda (asda call time). If you log onto their website http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/www.asda.co.uk and scroll to the bottom, under "More for you from us" there's a link for Asda Call Time.

The charges are listed as 6p a min landline and 12p a minute mobile but I only seem to get charged 4p for a mobile call. Not sure if this is a mistake but I haven't pointed it out to them. It's really easy to set up, no connection charges or anything, it's a bit like buying a top-up for your mobile but you can either have it on your mobile or landline.

Have a read of the instructions to see what you think. I've found it brilliant and now spend no more than ?15 a month where I was previously spending upwards of ?60.

That is very cheap if it is only 4p a minute - the problem is that if it is a mistake, at any time you could get charged the 12p and that is more than a lot of people charge. I know the 829 exchange when it first came about (and still with some companies here) falls under USA rates. I really don't know why this is but the US is much cheaper to call than the DR - so this might be an explanation.
The cheapest I have found is the Orange "Call Abroad" Sim card. It is 7p a minute landline or mobile. Barring connection problems at times, the calls are always clear unlike the telephone discount companies which at times seem like you are are talking to someone on another planet!
Best wishes
:cheeky:

Rio

Last edited:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Orange PAYG

Thanks for that, I may try and get hold of an orange sim card too just incase.

Good Idea - they are only ?1. Up until last December it was 5p a minute but they put the rates up to 7p - still a good deal I think......

I think, not sure, that they have got a new scheme now that you can "tot up" free texts when you credit your phone.

Certainly worth looking into..

Rio

ash56

Feb 18, 2006
cheap calls

hi i call the domincan republic and i have found using a new sim card called LEBARA MOBILE and the rates are 10p a min for mobiles and landlines , the call quality is excellent and saves me a fortune using this sim card , they also offer 10% back on top ups every month , to view the product go to http://www.lebara-mobile.co.uk

hope this helps

Chica2008

Jun 19, 2008
Hi! I wonder if anyone can help?! Im having trouble calling a Dominican Mobile number from the UK. I have a phone card which I have been using to call a landline number and it works fine but when I try to call a mobile it won't connect...Am I right in thinking you dial 001 809 followed by 1-829 then ******** (8 digit phone number)? I have tried so many different options and combinations and now its just getting annoying and I have the right mobile number! Please help! Thanks!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The 829 replaces the 809 - the 829 is a new mobile number prefix so you just need 10 digits in total I believe but if 001 does not work, try 0011 then 829. Hope this helps Chica.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Drop the 1 ....

Hi! I wonder if anyone can help?! Im having trouble calling a Dominican Mobile number from the UK. I have a phone card which I have been using to call a landline number and it works fine but when I try to call a mobile it won't connect...Am I right in thinking you dial 001 809 followed by 1-829 then ******** (8 digit phone number)? I have tried so many different options and combinations and now its just getting annoying and I have the right mobile number! Please help! Thanks!

You should have a 7 digit phone number after you have dialled 001 809 or 829 you do not dial 1 before the actual mobile number. A lot of Dominicans think that we have to put the 1 in like they do when making a call.

BTW - There are a few problems with connection at the moment on the Orange network (for a while now). Once you are sure that you have the correct number persevere - it can take more than one attempt, but it does sound like you are punching in too many numbers!

Hope this helps...... :cheeky:

Rio